Northern Riders SIGN IN!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ZZR_Ron, Nov 20, 2006.

1. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Think she already has a home. On hold over the weekend. Cheers
  2. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I made it 58.6 miles northeast of Armstrong. The Jackfish Road is fine gravel, but the North Road was a narrow two-track that got narrower and narrower and more and more overgrown. The last 5 miles had brush growing in from both sides and between the tracks. The last two miles were so overgrown the brush was shoulder-high and scraping both sides of the bike continuously. I couldn't see the road at all -- just followed the slightly shorter brush straight ahead and rode by braille. After about two miles of this I figured it wasn't going to get any better, and I would have ridden straight into a tree down across the track. Pretty stupid to be here all alone, even though I was carrying an inReach. I managed to turn the bike around without dropping it, and retreated to the Jackfish Road where I found a camp for the night.

Turns out I still had five miles to go from where I turned around to the missing bridge into the Spino cut. It's another 3.5 miles to the cut-through between the Spino cut and the cut accessible off the Ogoki Road on the east side. And this cut-through is 1.5 miles long. And who knows what the conditions were on the east side.

Maybe early in the season the brush might not be so grown up. Who knows. It's an awesome area, and I definitely will be back.
  3. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    Did you sell that fancy tail bag? Just asking for a friend…..
    Will hook with you next time I’m in the Bay. Travel has been really limited this year. “Aurthuritis” has been giving the wrists some trouble…. A one day ride cripps me up for a week or so.
    It’s a bugger getting old.
    Get well bud.
  4. plonker2008

plonker2008 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello all, planning on leaving the slab jungle for a few days and looking at riding part of my trip up from Massey - Ramsey - Foleyet - Kapaskasing. I am wondering if any one could please share details on what the road conditions are like or hazards. I will be riding alone so I am just trying to get an idea what to expect as it has been a few years since my last trip up there which I did a route from shining tree to atibiti canyon

upload_2021-9-18_17-19-39.jpeg
  5. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    I agree, though I think it started a few years back. Not just in the Canada subforum, but throughout the site. Great while it lasted.
    GreatWhiteNorth likes this.
  6. BuiltnotBought

BuiltnotBought Perpetual Project

Oddometer:
    I made it up north of Bruce Mines for a few days this week, timed the weather and the color perfectly! I can honestly say I have never seen colors of yellow and red so bright and so firey, absolutely beautiful. I made my way north from Bruce Mines up Carpenter Lake Rd - which got a bit rugged after Carpenter Lake. I came out onto Ranger Lake Rd at Garden Lake. Then I took Ranger Lake Rd over to 129 down to Tunnel Lake Trading post. I then went north on 546 to I think it was Cannon Lake Rd to check out the hydro line that runs to Elliot Lake. I made it about 5km down the hydro line but then the tiredness from the day before and the prospect of 30km more with a heavy bike I made the call to turn around. I'll come back with the DR200 I think and it will be much more enjoyable challange. Wish I had more time but enjoyed what I did do!

[​IMG]
  7. BuiltnotBought

Oddometer:
    I have some video to splice together at some point but pics for now.

At Carpenter Lake
    [​IMG]

Further down Carpenter Lake Rd
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One mishap pulling off the hydro line trail to camp for the night. Looked solid but was instant muck!
    [​IMG]
    Fortunately a good spot to unload the bags anyway since I was setting up camp! Lay it down, spin it around, hoist it up again... (such a pig!)
    [​IMG]

On the hydro line trail, such an amazing view. Really want to go back there with a smaller bike to ride the whole section (38km)
    [​IMG]
  8. Drif10

Oddometer:
    Were you on Ranger Lake Tuesday afternoon?
  9. BuiltnotBought

Oddometer:
    I was yes. Chasing a grader... :/ It would have been a much nicer run if it hadn't been all freshly graded, the 6" hump of gravel down the middle was a nice touch for a bit there. Was that you that flagged me that the logging truck and grader were stopped in the middle of the road ahead?
  10. Drif10

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that was me. I came around in 4th and surprise! Truck was broke, grader dude not my favorite person at that moment for stopping where he did.

Small world. :lol3
  11. RickyBilly

RickyBilly Mentally Retired

Oddometer:
    Great area , driven there before and just
    moved
    Its a great area ...just moved back but know the rds you were on...best time of yr for a ride