Northern Tennessee?

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Jim Moyer, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Jim Moyer

Jim Moyer Bluegrass Boxer

Oddometer:
    I'm planning a ride with some pals in a week in the area south of Jellico in Tennessee. I'm looking a routes south of the Kentucky border, north of TN 116, west of I-75, and east of US 27. In addition, I'm also looking at routes off the Stinking Creek (!) road, east of I-75. We'll be riding a GS, an F650, and a KLX650, starting in Jellico. I have looked at this area for a long time from the ridgeline on Jellico Mountain on I-75, but have not ridden there. Any comments, suggestions, words of advice, and so forth are welcome. We plan to exchange anything in our riding gear which is blue for orange as a safety precaution.

Thanks,

Jim
  2. Hillbilly

Hillbilly Inbred Mountaineer

Oddometer:
    There's an Eastern Tennessee, a Middle Tennessee, and a West Tennessee, but I don't think there's a Northern Tennessee. We're all Southerners here.

Sorry I can't help you with the area West of 75, though. I bet it's a cool area. My parents lived in Cumberland Gap for a while, which is east of you, and I remember there is lots of good dirt in southeastern Kentucky near there. There's a KOA on I-75 that caters to the recreational crowd and I would think you could get some info from them.

Corbin KOA
  3. JohnTM

JohnTM I suck toes

Oddometer:
    It is all in the South, but some is more north than others. Remember, East Tennessee was mostly anti-slave owning and Northern sympathizers during the War Between the States, and to this day is the primary base of the Republican party in Tennessee.

But enough of that. That is a pretty tightly defined area, Jim. Pages 58 and 59 of the DeLorme Atlas and Gazetteer.

Hyy 116 I am quite familiar with. On the second leg of it is a series of switchbacks where the locals like to dump bucketfulls of gravel in the curves than watch the bikes have fun. Other than that, it is a damn fun road. I haven't had much opportunity to play in the woods in that area, but just to the west of Careyville is a gravel road that twists up and down the ridges, and there are old strip mines that look quite interesting to the west of Elgin. You may want to make a call down to Frozen Head State Park and ask about the roads there - I have heard they are pretty good, but haven't been on them myself. There is a switchback gravel road over Walden Ridge just south of 116 at 330, but I won't mention it because it is south of 116. But let me know what y'all find!
  4. Hillbilly

Oddometer:
    I resemble that remark. I'm from Sullivan County. My family settled there in the late 1700's and we still own the original farm. My Mother's family are Republicans (they fought for the Union) and my Father's family are Democrats (because they fought for the Confederacy). Don't tell any of them they are Northerners, though. Not safe.

Back to trails...Have you been to the JROCC (Jellico Rock Obsticle Challenge Course). That's right in the area discussed and I hear it's got some pretty technical stuff.
  5. JohnTM

JohnTM I suck toes

Oddometer:
    I haven't been there, but if memory serves, the Hummer club goes up there from time to time. I think I'll try it on a dirtbike first...

There is also some fine fire roads and such in the Joyce Kilmer forrest between us. Some even come out onto I-40! easy access baby!
  6. Hillbilly

Oddometer:
    Lots of Fire Roads and dirt tracks all over western NC.

The area you are talking about (where the Nantahala, Pisgah, Cherokee National Forests meet the Smokey Mountains Park) is one of the great wild areas of the East. It's pretty easy to see why it was easier for us to bomb Osama than it would be for us to get Eric Rudolph.

There are lots of Fire Roads in the Nantahala, which is also where the Joyce Kilmer is. The Joyce Kilmer is a actually a roadless wilderness area in the Cheoh district of the Nantahala (no motors allowed). My older sons used to go in there for weeks at a time during the summer. Gets pretty wet and wild. I wish I still had the time to join them.

I've heard the Upper Tellico ATV area (in the Tusquitee district of the Nantahala) has some real technical stuff. I'm near the Uwharrie ATV area, so I don't need to go that far when I want to mess up my bike and to humiliate myself on knarley trail.

The fire roads off of I-40 that you are talking about are in the lower end of the Pisgah and the Cherokee. More roads than can be counted, but that's four hours on a slab for me to get to. I've just been down to that area a few times. The northern part of Cherokee NF and the Pisgah NF are a little more convenient for me.

Lee
    02 R1150R
    97 F650
  7. JohnTM

JohnTM I suck toes

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great info, Hill! Unfortunately I am the same distance from these areas as you (in Nashville), but I sure don't mind pissing away a few days to get myself hurt where noone will find my body for days! Do you have any contact info on where to go for more info on these areas? Or do I just get there and get lost (not a bad idea). Thanks!
  8. Jim Moyer

Jim Moyer Bluegrass Boxer

Oddometer:
    What's this Jellico Rock Obstacle Course? It sounds a bit too technical for an aging road rider on a GS, eh?

Jim in Louisville
  9. Hillbilly

Oddometer:
    North Carolina National Forests Outdoor Recreation

You want maps. Lost is bad (Remember Eric Rudolph).

Brown Mountain ORV Area
    Pisgah National Forest
    District Ranger
    USDA Forest Service
    P.O. Box 519
    Marion, N.C. 28752
    tel. 828-652-2144

Wayehutta ATV Trail System
    District Ranger, USFS
    Highlands Ranger District
    Rt. 1 Box 247
    Highlands, NC 28741
    Phone: 704-526-3765
    Fax: 704-526-5593

Upper Tellico ORV
    District Ranger
    USDA Forest Service
    201 Woodland Dr.
    Murphy, NC 28906
    Phone: 704-837-5152
  10. Hillbilly

Oddometer:
    It's about 12 miles from Jellico, on private property. It's hard to find unless there is an event going on, so unless you picked an event weekend you probably wouldn't find it.

My recollection the area you are talking about is mostly private. You could try asking your question on the boards at the Tennessee off road site, though. Someone there surely knows the area.

Tennessee Off Road
  11. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer: