Northern VA Chatter Thread

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by HBN, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Nomad05

Nomad05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most riders transport meals in their side and top cases. One strapped a plastic tub w/lid onto his passenger seat and carried 6 meals. Ingenuity is the mother of invention here!
    Barry and phreakingeek like this.
  2. Nomad05

Nomad05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi All-
    Thanks for your interest in helping out.

The 4/28/20 200 meal delivery has been cancelled. (No reason given by the restaurant).
    The 5/1/20 100 meal delivery is still on. Meetup is at the Medium Rare restaurant in Arlington at 11:15am.

Please let anyone else who is interested know of the change.
    Thanks, Herb
    phreakingeek likes this.
  3. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I plan to be there (Medium Rare, 3601 N. Fairfax Drive, Arlington, VA 22201) May 1, Nomad05; GIVI top case and KTM panniers ready for duty!
    Nomad05 likes this.
  4. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    I am gonna’ try to ride up for the Friday delivery
    Nomad05 likes this.
  5. CArcher77

CArcher77 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m in for Friday
  6. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Question for the DC commuters...what are the parking options?
  7. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    I believe you can park without paying just about anywhere as the city is not writing tickets.. In legal parking spaces, at least. I have noticed some people are parking wherever they want. (Beyond the no parking signs, in no parking zones, etc.) I would avoid parking in the rush hour lanes.
  8. Barnaby'sDad

Oddometer:
    How about outside of these screwy times? Is that just generally how it’s always been done?
  9. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I park in the garage at my office. Or I did . . . There are moto-only curbside spots around town too.
  10. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    NO!

Normally, the city raises a lot of money enforcing parking rules. The signage can be vague and the ticket writer's understanding of what it means can often be different than it seems.

I have seen cars parking in the motorcycle only spaces so they might not be an option for you.

Generally, parking is limited to two hours. With the Parkmobile app, it is possible to add time. People tell me you can stay all day as long as you keep feeding the app. (I do not think that is true but people seemed to get away with it.

Then, normally, we have street cleaning outside of the center of town. This also affects when one can legally park.

I normally take an Uber into main part of town so this rarely affected me.

Oh and the DC sucks answers will follow shortly...
  11. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    In fact, parking can be somewhat limited in areas because people are staying home with their cars parked in their neighborhoods. People that are working downtown are taking advantage of the free street parking. There seems to be a lot of parking garage spaces available.
  12. Creekgeek

Creekgeek Master Finger Painter

Oddometer:
    Here’s mine. DC Sucks. It is a great place to be from. :rayof Have a safe delivery tonite folks
  13. Barnaby'sDad

Oddometer:
    I’ll have to do more research on the parking garage options. I won’t be able to roll the dice and hope for a street spot every day.

Yeah...I’ve never had luck with that. They must be gaming the system (ex. Put in specifics for a different vehicle and license plate every other period).

From talking with an acquaintance...some of the parking garages aren’t too expensive ($10/day). I’ll have to do some research to see if any garages have cheaper motorcycle spots.

Lol. Yeah. It would not be my first choice of places to ride to.
  14. random1781

random1781 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    DC will write tickets for anything and everything. I got *4* tickets outside of my place for not having a residential parking pass, not because I didn't have one, but because the meter maid didn't know that it's a sticker on the license plate for motorcycles and not on the windshield. I contested them, but it's a pain. I actually forgot to contest one and had to pay it. This is how they make money: they don't have to be right, they just fine first and hope you don't do anything. The irony is that you can go on the DPW website when you get a ticket and look at pictures they took of your vehicle, and in those pictures you could clearly see the parking pass decal on my bike.

I got ticketed for parking two bikes in one paid spot before. Also successfully contested that.

Read up on the temporary changes in the DPW section:

https://ddot.dc.gov/release/ddot-and-dpw-announce-parking-and-service-adjustments
  15. random1781

random1781 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    *DC sucks
    CArcher77 and Creekgeek like this.
  16. biker128pedal

biker128pedal Super Lurker

Oddometer:
  17. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I park in several places designated for MCs in DC. Almost all of them are 12 hour spots, and at $.25 an hour. There is a web page for where these are. I normally park either at the World bank or outside Old Ebbits Grill.
  18. Deek22

Deek22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I live right next to Manassas airport, looks to be a good spot right at noon.
  19. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Delivered meals donated by Medium Rare restaurant in Arlington to Children's Hospital today; ten motorcycles; don't know how many meals (25 or so on my bike alone), but it was a BUNCH!

[​IMG]

Had a bit of an adventure myself (of the, "mis-," kind), but through the kindness of strangers, the meals entrusted to my custody were delivered in good condition and on time. (No motorcycles were injured in this anecdote; I'll tell you about it some time around the campfire, as soon as the embarrassment disappears! :D)
  20. Creekgeek

Creekgeek Master Finger Painter

Oddometer:
    no pictures of the Miss or it did not happen.