Northern VA Chatter Thread

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by HBN, Feb 18, 2010.

1. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Image of a re-enactment OK?

Didn't think so!

:lol3
  2. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    I did not know motorcycle spots went to 12 hours.

For too long they were 4 hours, maximum. I always thought that was stupid.

Unfortunately, once the warmer weather hits, in that neighborhood, it seems like the motorcycle spots fill up with “chrome plated toilets” as a fellow adv rider once called them.

One needs to be careful parking in rush hour lanes. Parking there could get expensive if working OT.
  3. biker128pedal

biker128pedal Super Lurker

Oddometer:
    NOVA people question. Any beginner MSF courses going on with this virus or any instructors doing one on one. Have a friend up in Alexandria who passed the class last year. He’s getting a CB500F and wants some practice. After he gets gear too.
  4. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    MSF shut down classes all over the US. Our classes at Lord Fairfax Community College in Middletown Va have been cancelled thru May and it's yet to be determined if they'll run in June.
    If he takes a BRC again he'll have to use the schools bikes, but since he hasn't ridden since the class last year he's doing the right thing getting a refresher.
  5. biker128pedal

Oddometer:
    Maybe in June they’ll cut the classes in half and to the class room outside.
  6. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't see any of that happening.
    The class uses a projector and screen, hands out and collects paper tests and goes over the test with each student(sitting next to them) while the others are still taking the test.
    On the range the students gather around at the beginning of each exercise to listen to the coach read what is expected for the exercise. The student pulls up to the coach after each run(with helmet on and a running bike) for coaching. It would be difficult to keep six feet apart and effectively coach a class.
    From what I've seen when I've been out, about half of the people I've observed don't follow the six foot rule. I don't want to risk my health so someone can ride a bike. There are also a lot of older, retired folks who coach. I'm sure they don't want to take that risk either.
  7. biker128pedal

Oddometer:
    Looks like YouTube, twist of the wrist and self training in a parking lot.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  8. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny, I just posted this a couple days ago for an inmate in the XRL sign in thread who was having difficulties making U turns on his XRL. Making a U turn on a dual sport is almost like cheating...but he says he's never had any formal training so I can see why.
    It's kind of long but he explains it very well.

If you're going to help him a couple of important things for him to remember, one of the biggest being...
    Work on being SMOOTH! Smooth throttle, clutch, brake and handlebar input. Practice finding and using his friction zone for slow speed maneuvers, like the U turn above. Stay in that zone for slow speed maneuvers, not in and out of it(It won't be smooth and he won't be able to do the exercise well or at all).

When he has his hand on the throttle, the wrist should be flat/straight with the arm. Twist down.

Tell him to pay attention to his surroundings(everything that could cause potential issues) 150% of the time. Look well ahead, not right in front of him. If he's paying attention to his riding, he should already know what's in front of him. Look where he wants to go, not where he's headed because it's not necessarily the same place(avoid target fixation).

Lead with his chin(keep his head up!) When going into turns, put his chin on his shoulder and look thru the turn, not 30' ahead.

If he's looking forward, he'll go forward. Looking right, he'll go right. Looking left, he'll go left. Looking down(mainly in slow speed situations, U turns), he'll have to put a foot down, or go down with the bike.

That's a good start.
    biker128pedal likes this.
  9. XDragRacer

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle Riding Concepts, MRC (http://www.saddleupva.com/) has lost its lease from the VA DMV at the old Virginia Training School on Braddock Road, Fairfax (word-on-the-street; 82-or-so acre tract at that location to be, "developed").

New location: Fair Oaks Mall; intersection of US Route 50 and Interstate 66.

Projected "launch date" (beginning of new classes): 1 June, 2020.
  10. k5mitch

k5mitch Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    For those folks that moto-commute and need to display a badge to a manned gate, what do you use for holding and retaining your badge?

I've tried using a generic clear vinyl badge holder and lanyard tied to a strap inside my tankbag. It's simple, my badge doesn't go anywhere I don't want it to... but its a bit of fiddling moving my badge from that holder to my regular holder.
  11. CArcher77

CArcher77 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We actually have to take the card out of the holder and present it to the gate guard. I’d have to take the gloves off in order to do that if it was in a holder, so I just keep it in the tank bag, no holder. Then, when parked, I transfer it to the lanyard.
  12. Capt CF

Capt CF Pontificating Nobody

Oddometer:
    I keep it in the left cargo pocket of my riding pants (have to touch it to a sensor to lift the gate).
  13. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    I simply wear the badge on a lanyard as I would inside the building. As I approach the gate, unzip, pull badge out, generally never even stop the wheels turning.

Barry
  14. XDragRacer

Oddometer:
    I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!

CArcher77 likes this.
  15. biker128pedal

Oddometer:
    Word on my beginner rider friend. He is practicing his weaving. Texted me. He said he thought he was reving the engine too much. Not stalling or running wide. Using the clutch. So doing well. He says he just is having trouble with the death grip on the throttle.
  16. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    Tell him to try and relax. Dropping the bike is part of the learning experience as is not a bad thing. It happens to all of us.

Thanks for helping a new guy out.
  17. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Late Saturday morning I happened on an accident scene on Crest Hill Rd., near Flint Hill. A rider going around a blind left made contact with an oncoming car. By the time I got there lots of cars and bikes were parked and I could hear an approaching emergency vehicle. A local in a car turned around and lowered his window as he got to me, said it looked bad. I turned around and found another route. A check of the Fauquier County Sheriff's page this morning indicates they had a death investigation Saturday in that section of the county. Could be unrelated, of course. Be careful out there.
  18. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    In Alexandria. T-Mobile customer must have thought it was a drive through.
    20200515_111428.jpg 20200515_111442.jpg Not my type.jpg
  19. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to wait in the car while phone was getting fixed, you know social distancing and all that :D
    Butters and JimVonBaden like this.
  20. mudcrutch

mudcrutch Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those people from Alexandria are the biggest bunch of no driving asses!

Except Eric, JVB and me, of course.
    JimVonBaden likes this.