Northern VA Chatter Thread

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by HBN, Feb 18, 2010.

1. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    I grew up in Mt. Vernon and a good HS friend's Dad was a big builder in Lakeridge back in late '70s/early 80s, think it was Ryland or Ryan homes he worked for. His dad would drop us off at Occ. Reservoir with an old Sears Jon boat and 9.X HP Mercury OB on it, we'd fish and pull each other all day long "wakeboarding" using an old piece of plywood that was the cover of the center seat livewell. Good memories!
    mica, mudcrutch and phreakingeek like this.
  2. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    I didn't spend much time over in Lakeridge, so don't remember that part. All my middle and HS friends lived in the 'State Streets' in Woodbridge, so stayed down towards Featherstone and over to Veteran's Park.

Worked at the McDonald's at the 'entrance' to Dale City as my 1st job. Back when Silverdale was the backside of beyond. Now look at it!

M
  3. DCrider

Oddometer:
    Drove on Rt. 1 last weekend there where it crosses the Occ River and intersects 123, holy cow I don't even recognize that area anymore, they bulldozed all the old crappy used car lots and crap on the east side and moved Rt. 1 lanes. Man I am getting old!
    mudcrutch and phreakingeek like this.
  4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ryan. I owned a house in Lake Ridge up until a few years ago.
    DCrider likes this.
  5. Jim M.

Jim M. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lived in Marumsco Hills in Woodbridge in the late 60's-70's. We could ride our dirt bikes up to Elizabeth Vaughn Elementary through the woods and ride across the bridge over 95 to the power lines and ride all the way to Lake Ridge to the High School. Friends and I did that several times while in High School. Also used to ride through the storm sewers under Longview Dr. to get to the trails on the other side.
    DCrider likes this.
  6. mudcrutch

mudcrutch Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any of you guys ever ride in the Belvoir "Pits" behind Hayfield High? That place was a blast! We used to not only ride there, but trashed plenty of $200 cars. I bet they towed a mess of abandoned junk cars out of there when Kingstown was built. Trash 'em, crash 'em, go find another. Duke Boys didn't have shit on us.
  7. DCrider

Oddometer:
    Rode the area next to Springfield Mall that is now covered by F-S Pkwy, Home Depot and that office park behind it and I think Windsor Estates. Got booted out by the FFxCO popo 1x so my Pops said no more.
    mudcrutch likes this.
  8. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    all y'all are/were hooligans.

M

edited to add: I was looking for a shake down drive in my new-to-me 4x4 Dodge and thought I'd remembered something about a 'trans VA trail' but all my searching hasn't turned up anything. I'm thinking hard about going to southern Argentina at some point 'soon' so need to find out what needs upgrading/fixing BEFORE I get on the road. :nod

M
  9. ClutchDumpinDan

ClutchDumpinDan Go do

Oddometer:
    Blue Ridge Trail maybe?
  10. bierfahrt

bierfahrt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I moved into Dale city when there was only Ashdale and half of Birchdale. Dale blvd was gravel for the first year or so that I was there. Once paved we used to skateboard on it. Why not? There was no traffic. There was no ramp to I 95. No stores. Had to go Woodbridge or Triangle for groceries. Yep. I'm older than dirt.
  11. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Man! Ya got me beat!

I didn't get to Dale City till I could drive at 16, then it went all the way to Silverdale.

Lots of my HS friends worked in Potomac Mills after it got built.

M
  12. DCrider

Oddometer:
    Damn they have lectricity then? :lol3
  13. mudcrutch

Oddometer:
    That was part of what we called"The Pits" Eric. It was huge. We would go in at Lockheed Blvd and take power line to Telegraph Rd. Cross over that and you were there. Trails from Franconia all the way to Lorton. Big enough to get lost in. The best stretch was behind Hayfield High. An abandoned gravel "pit". Get thirsty & hungry? Ride over to the IGA on Beulah Rd and get yourself an RC Cola and a Moon Pie. By late 70's, it was pretty much over. The Police wised up and bought some dirt bikes of their own. That, plus the "black helicopters" put the clamps on it. Kingstown development was the final nail.
    DCrider likes this.
  14. mudcrutch

Oddometer:

HaHa... Potomac Mills. We called it White Trash Mall when it opened. Fookers would bus "tourist shoppers" up from down South. It had an Elvis Museum! For a while there, it got more visitors per year than Colonial Williamsburg and Jamestown. Busch Gardens put an end to that.

We moved to NOVA mid 60's. Pop was at National War College. He posted us up in a cottage at Carolina Beach for a month and he looked for a house for us to live in. The one and only house he and my Mother ever owned. Fort Hunt area in Alexandria. His Army connections kept telling him "Go look at Dale City". He said he couldn't even find Dale City. Man am I glad he couldn't! Our 5-BR 4-level split at $27K was double the price of a home in Dale City at that time. We sold their house for $580K and they go for about $700K now.
    DCrider likes this.
  15. Gear Driven

Gear Driven Major Poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Used to be able to ride from Montclair, all the way down to Tim's Rivershore on my dad's old Hodaka Wombat, then later an XR 250 and finally a Yamaha IT 200. Powerline trails mostly, through culverts under 95. We'd see some interesting people back there. Sometime's we'd sneak guns out there and plink. Had to be only a tween, no adults. There was a "track" where the commuter lot is at the corner of Rt 1 and 234. We'd leave the bikes there and walk across to McDonalds, muddy as hell. And now I hardly let my kids out of my sight, but they're younger still.

Anyone try and order a Tenere 700 yesterday? I did, not sure if it went thru or not. Leaving it up to fate, not getting worked up about it like so many are.
  16. FAW3

FAW3 Old wanderer

Oddometer:
    Lupin 3rd and XDragRacer like this.
  17. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  18. SteelB12

SteelB12 Our Purity of Essence Supporter

Oddometer:
    That means this is where the riding starts
    XDragRacer likes this.
  19. Liberator

Liberator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Odd question for everyone and not even sure if this is the correct thread but just mulling stuff around while I should be on some week-long trip.

So I live on a bunch of property in Culpeper, VA that's about 25 miles East of the entrance to Skyline Drive. Always wondered if we're in an ideal location for some sort of ADV campground. I tend to worry it's just too far but I do have tools, a lift, a pool and downtown Culpeper has some great restaurants. Could even slowly build up cabins. Nice slow transition into semi-retirement if it works out.

Thoughts?
    Lupin 3rd likes this.
  20. Lupin 3rd

Lupin 3rd Raygun Gothic

Oddometer:

Done the Shenny500 several years now. Plenty of people make the trip to Mt Solon (4-5 hours+).

IMHO if you can organize something nice people will show up. Things like:
    • Camp on your land then go out on rides
    • Camp and school
    • Events like the old Romney, WV benefit
    Liberator likes this.