Northern VA Chatter Thread

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by HBN, Feb 18, 2010.

1. mudcrutch

mudcrutch Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hell yeah. What are you waiting for? BTW, how's the hunting? Do you bow hunt? Culpeper has some good bucks. Having any trouble with wild pigs?

I have references.
  2. Liberator

Liberator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I totally should just go for it slowly into retirement. Be way more fun hanging out talking motos and bullshitting than sitting in front of a computer until I drop dead. Hell, could happily lead people to connect with the MABDR on this beautiful route I found.

Haven't had any hunting on the property since we've owned it so hard to answer. Guys around me hunt plenty. Haven't heard them talking about the wild pig issue that's big around here.
    mudcrutch likes this.
  3. Creekgeek

Creekgeek Master Finger Painter

Oddometer:
    You need to cat herd and bwdr thread.
    Liberator and mudcrutch like this.
  4. mudcrutch

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you don't hunt. But you say guys around you hunt plenty. Without knowing how much acreage you have, nor what terrain, cover and water is there, I can tell you your place is probably crawling with game. Probably more so once seasons begin. If you're transitioning into retirement, you might consider membership leasing during season. There are broker agents that handle these things and carry the burden of managing everything for you, for a commission on the proceeds. You can even mandate "rules of engagement". You can cut access to particular weeks or limit to archery and muzzle-loader seasons. Really, those seasons are a hunters best bet to bag a trophy buck in Virginia. If the Culpeper pig problem presents itself on your place, you will want to have already networked with some folks that can help.

If you much prefer "No Hunting!" Totally understandable. Ditto on what Creekgeek mentioned, Cat Herder and BWDR threads could provide some feedback on interest. Very good people in those threads.
  5. Liberator

Liberator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh it's crawling with game and the hunting that people have been doing around the property has helped it a good deal of the forest stay healthy (had a State Forester come in a do an assessment for a conservation plan). Spent some time in a Wildlife Toxicology masters program back in the day so I've been all over it and generally know what I'm looking at. In fact, my wife started the sustainability program and George Mason so we've been pretty good at assessing it.

And yep, not really a hunter. I'm a gun guy and do shoot sometimes for fun. Suppose I always been called a gun-toting tree hugger, lol. At only 33 acres and close enough into town and there are some directions that you've gotta be VERY aware of what's beyond your target. I suspect it'd be way safer with muzzle-loaders/bows in this setup. The outsiders hunting would be an impossible sell to the wife anyway.

Sooooo, back to the original idea, I suppose I was looking at more of a ADV campground idea as opposed to hosting events as the properties not big enough to offer a good loop (need to build a couple of bridges too) but I could certainly do some training and lead rides locally. I guess we were looking at just slowly starting with a sort of campground/maybe small cabin thing and try to gauge interest from ADV guys, hikers, etc. Still have that nagging feeling it's too far from Skyline to draw people who are riding it to come down here to stay.

And still in my early 50s so got a few years....
  6. WayneJ

WayneJ What?

Oddometer:
    IMO, you are too far east to attract the ADV crowd, and folks going to SD are camping there.

You should start a craft brewery.
    mudcrutch likes this.
  7. Creekgeek

Creekgeek Master Finger Painter

Oddometer:
    seems Condescending...

:hide
    WayneJ likes this.
  8. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    I say otherwise, I think you'd have plenty of business, maybe not ADV crowd, but do you want to make your hobby a job?
    phreakingeek likes this.
  9. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You might check with the management of MotoCove, Gore, VA. These guys have years of experience, hosting campers and motorcyclists (on their extensive (3,000 acres, IIRC)) property and might share some details of such an enterprise with you.
  10. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    Cabins... Air B&B, moto, RV (there is a Air B&B for RVs that is VERY populuar), I think you are in a location that might do OK. Ton of wineries within a reasonable distance of you, Skyline Drive, Shenandoah Valley, hell you are close to D.C. I think you might be able to generate revenue.
  11. DCrider

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a utility trailer I could borrow or rent for a small fee to haul a small garden tractor with? Looking at ones with 48-54" mover deck, feel free to PM me.
    Erik
  12. VACommuter

VACommuter Long timer

Oddometer:
    DCrider likes this.
  13. mudcrutch

Oddometer:
    @DCrider

I have one in Springfield. A 6x8. I'm bugging out to JVB Tech day tomorrow AM. But should be around the rest of the weekend.

When do you need it?
    JimVonBaden and DCrider like this.
  14. DCrider

Oddometer:
    Looking for a good condition riding mower, prefer a beefier garden tractor type model (>20HP, 46" or greater cut; or even a subcompact tractor if the price is right) over a riding lawn mower, as expected CL is a crap shoot and FB marketplace not much better, anyone got one? PM me.
  15. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital

Did you move? Feeling the need to embrace suburbia? Just feeling lazy?
  16. biker128pedal

biker128pedal Super Lurker

Oddometer:
    Anyone know who bought out motorcycle factory inc. woodbridge va? What’s the deal with them. Asking for a friend.
  17. XDragRacer

Oddometer:
    See below.
  18. XDragRacer

Oddometer:
    Word on the street: Coleman's. No idea of any policy/procedure changes.
    biker128pedal likes this.
  19. goosecreek

goosecreek Ashes ashes all fall down Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is it near octopuses garden asking for a friend.
    Motocox likes this.
  20. biker128pedal

biker128pedal Super Lurker

Oddometer:
    In the shade?

But looks like there web site is down but a few posts on Facebook last week.