Northern VA Chatter Thread

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by HBN, Feb 18, 2010.

1. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Our posts may have crossed in the ether.

Check Post # 11978 above.
  2. biker128pedal

biker128pedal Super Lurker

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Whomever it was took their tire changing tools. Apparently if you bought tires with the intent for them to install they cannot. And such tires if paid for need to be picked up quick.
  3. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    It was Colemans, I know the service mgr.
    Shane & Angel will still be there. The goal was to get a Honda franchise again .
  4. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did Coleman's lose their Falls Church Honda franchise?
  5. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital

Oh no!!! That is bad news if Coleman bought the place. If current MFI management can keep things in line, there is hope though.
  6. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    It looks like Fall's Church still has Honda, Woodbridge does not. I do not know if Woodbridge was a Honda dealer before this.

From their web page:

NOT ALL BRANDS AT BOTH LOCATIONS

Falls Church Brands: Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Ducati, Can-Am, Victory, Slingshot, Vanderhall, Kymco & Sea-Doo

Woodbridge Brands: Yamaha, Suzuki, Ducati, GEM, Polaris, Can-Am, Kymco, Sea-Doo, Slingshot, Victory, Vanderhall, Tritan & Holmes Trailers
  7. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    Yes, they used to be a Honda dealer until it was pulled.
    Probably because of shitty service.
    I think they have a handle on it now?
  8. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    Doubtful.

They used to be a BMW dealer. I wonder what happened with that.

Somebody told me the following story just this week about Coleman. I do not know if this is true. Perhaps someone here can confirm?

Coleman normally have dozens and dozens of bikes in their Falls Church shop. (This always makes me suspicious. Are they all waiting for parts? Could be as Coleman does not even bother to stock common parts like chains. Certainly, they are not bringing in money by sitting on bikes.) At some point, their garage got flooded. BIG TIME. The flood destroyed just about every repair bike in the facility. The insurance payout had to have been huge.
  9. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    For as long as I can remember Coleman’s has had a well deserved terrible reputation for cutting corners on service, and atrocious sales practices. That said, my wife and I braved the Woodbridge store a few years ago to get her an Arai helmet, and the customer service could not have been better from the accessories department.
    Capt CF and JimVonBaden like this.
  10. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    You are going way back , yes they sold BMW ,Triumph, BSA. Those brands went away on their own, not because of any quality issues. I was an apprentice @ Cycles Inc. in the late 70s , Mr. Coleman tolerated no half assed mechanics and a comeback could get you fired. Every job went through quality control by the shop foreman, who was a tyrant. He checked every nut & bolt on each job that was done. If he found something askew , the tech would have to perform the job all over again & may not be paid for it. The quality issues started when he sold the business to that mega dealer, forgot the name. There were always a large number of bikes at the shop at any given time in various states of repair . Some crashed waiting for insurance, some parts , some dead beat customers . I always had to push in & out 40 - 50 bikes daily. It was a blast working there during that time.
    After doing PDIs on the bikes I got to test ride them YZ490s , XS11s, CBXs , T120s, Gold Wings, R90s Cr250s. Mr Coleman was / is the real deal , not well liked but very respected.
  11. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    20200711_075834.jpg
    DCrider and Capt CF like this.
  12. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:

I think they stopped selling BMWs in the early nineties?

Oh wait... that is going way back.
    Creekgeek likes this.
  13. Evil_Chucky

Evil_Chucky Whiskey Stealer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your perspective, it helps to explain what I experienced when I went there. When did he sell? In the early 2000s when I first moved to the area, I went there. The Falls Church store seemed to have a good reputation as the place to go. Over the years, I stopped going there noticing a change and hearing similarly from other riders.
  14. pcoburn

pcoburn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just talked to a friend yesterday about the "big flood" at Coleman's. He was ready to sell his bike that he hadn't used for a while and dropped it off there to get a new rear tire and get the carbs cleaned out. Coleman's told him it would be "a couple of months" before they got to it, but since he was just going to turn around and sell it he didn't care too much. With the flood he ended up with the insurance payout (from his insurance, he wasn't sure if they ever got reimbursed from Coleman's insurance) and didn't have to pay for the repairs or deal with selling the bike so for him it was a win!

He was invited to go and see his bike before it was written off - he said there were dozens of bikes there, including a very low mileage Ducati that had been dropped off to install some add-ons that got caught in the flood.
  15. pcoburn

pcoburn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone else at the Bikes and Breakfast in Clifton, VA yesterday? I was there, but didn't stay too long - too many people without masks and my in-laws will be coming from Florida to stay with us soon and I don't want to risk becoming a carrier right before they arrive. Pretty good mix of bikes, and I'd say in normal times it looks like it would be a fun morning hanging out and shooting the breeze. Just a couple of shots here - there were way more bikes than I'm showing in these pics. They have a FaceBook page that has a bunch more pics if you want to check them out - https://www.facebook.com/bikesandbreakfast/posts/2685341638346416

IMG_1453.JPG IMG_1454.JPG IMG_1455.JPG
    Lupin 3rd and DCrider like this.
  16. mudcrutch

mudcrutch Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't been to B&B Clifton since C19 came to town. I was really tempted to go yesterday, but decided not to. Everything is a risk/reward balancing act anymore. The heat yesterday helped me decide too. TFH!
  17. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    Man, I sold bikes at Coleman’s? Cycles Inc? Circa 1983/84? Started at Arlington, got moved to the FFX store near Germantown Rd. Didn’t last long, I was not into high pressure sales. Got a 1984 Ninja with the employee discount and bailed. Sales was N-O-T for me.
  18. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was there, also briefly. Parked, walked the rows once, and left. Too crowded, too few masks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Lupin 3rd, DCrider and wmfleet2 like this.
  19. Smithy

Smithy Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer:

If you're willing to let an ADV'er hunt on your property, my wife and I (and the dog) would be interested this fall.
  20. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    I generally had good CS upstairs in accessories from the Falls Church store but down in parts even when you were the only one there they ignored you.