Northern VA Tag-o-rama!

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by zcooney, Apr 4, 2009.

1. lunderdog

lunderdog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Grab! Denton Ct. and Carrleigh Parkwy, West Springfield

Attached Files:

2. lunderdog

lunderdog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tag!

It doesn't look like there will be any performances here until the My Sharonavirus is under control. Though this park has several venues, Ali is waiting for his tickets at the one that is comprised of two adjacent 18th century barns that were relocated, refurbished, and refined for better acoustics.

Ali is waiting at the right side of the enterance. Near the bench on the far right. Just next to the smokers pole (to the very right in the first image). Buried just under the top of the mulch, and marked by the A.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    jlundee2 likes this.
  3. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice going, lunderdog!

And I thought I was the only inmate clever enough to solve the clues!

:lol3
  4. Nomad05

Nomad05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Grab! :jkam
    Wolftrap Barns @1635 Trap Road, Vienna, Va
    4F101388-8DAC-468D-8CA9-BE8E5CEDEE31.jpeg

Tag: Ali is social distancing on the Georgetown Pike Scenic Byway.
    AAEB9D0C-A643-40C6-9BE7-CFF9BB738388.jpeg

9F94126C-84AC-4D09-B0EC-B3ABF5D98885.jpeg
    Ali is resting comfortably behind the wooden post. The approximate location indicated by the wooden “A”.
    AB76EA25-7A3A-4E3A-BB40-CA9C1C2C7CC0.jpeg
    Happy hunting! :bubba
  5. inhousebob

inhousebob mostly vertical

Oddometer:
    Grab! Georgetown Pike at Colonial Farm Rd, Mclean, VA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nomad05 likes this.
  6. inhousebob

Oddometer:
    Tag!
    Sticking to the theme, Xdragracer and I found another but similar location for Ali...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ali rests behind the sign (right against the stone) beneath some leaves and is marked by an obnoxiously obvious A.
    [​IMG]
    This looks to be a sorta busy spot so don't let Ali rest too long!
  7. inhousebob

Oddometer:
    So sorry! I just realized that I missed a critical photo in the tag. It included a distance shot with bikes and some context for the placement. But it isn't on my phone so I must have muffed the shot. Anyhow, look for Ali at the opposite end of that parkway, on the other side of the road from the last tag. Hope that helps!
  8. Nomad05

Nomad05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Grab! Georgetown Pike, West entrance sign, near Rt7.
    B87EF409-DD44-41D4-82DD-7FFB61709553.jpeg
  9. Nomad05

Nomad05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Three’s a charm! Old Georgetown Pike sign between the previous two grabs.
    33EFC33E-26D3-45E5-A655-5BD2D2EFD9A7.jpeg

83900B1D-1F25-4E17-AEE0-0514B4990083.jpeg

Backside of sign.
    B1DDB67E-BD26-4F04-9EF2-9FED34AEA9E0.jpeg

Ali is resting comfortably underground, the approximate location indicated by the wooden “A”.
    8AE5B259-D258-4717-BF51-DDB255A5692E.jpeg
  10. XDragRacer

Oddometer:
    Grab; Georgetown Pike at its intersection with the Beltway:

[​IMG]

Just INSIDE the Beltway (for those who fear and loathe this region)!

Traffic advisory: For those who might travel the Pike west of this location (OUTSIDE the Beltway), mind the scads/hordes of "cages" parked along both road shoulders. In its wisdom, Fairfax County government has closed the PARKING LOTS of all county parks, but allows access to pedestrian (and bicycle?) traffic therein. So, the VEHICLES are quarantined, but not the park-going HUMANS. Only the passenger cars and trucks must practice, "social distancing," while their drivers do not. Thus, the hikers & etc. DO enter the parks and trails, abandoning their prime movers along both sides of a rather narrow strip of pavement. So, mind 'em parking and entering the blacktop along this segment of the Pike, and . . . sometimes, discovering one wheel of a differential drivetrain only SPINS in the mud, while its partner remains static . . .
    HarveyMushman likes this.
  11. XDragRacer

Oddometer:
    Tag!

Ali wanted to go to a park, so we rode here:

[​IMG]

Greeted with this unwelcome sign:

[​IMG]

Ali said, "Oh, go on in! Hooes to know? There was hardly any traffic on the Road we came in on. I'm immune, and only the two of us are here; why can't we Park here? No spread of Covid-19 virus, as far as I can tell!"

I replied, "Get thee behind me, Ali! I don't want you to have to explain all this to the judge!"

Dejected, Ali lay on the pavement:

[​IMG]

I dug a suitable niche for Ali:

[​IMG]

Ali now reposes beneath this bio-degrading stick:

[​IMG]
  12. inhousebob

Oddometer:
    Grab! Hoos Road Park, 7240 Hoos Road, Springfield, VA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  13. inhousebob

Oddometer:
    Tag!
    It was a remarkable day for a ride so Ali and I headed south to an historic town that shares the name of another historic town (in Massachusetts) that hosts an historic running race founded in 1973 by a bartender from Boston named Tommy.
    We stopped to look at this historic church that served as a Union Army headquarters in the area during the Civil War. It was mostly destroyed in a storm in 1950 so only this facade still stands.
    [​IMG]
    To the right of the little parking spot in front of the church, along a split rail fence, stand four planter barrels.
    [​IMG]
    In the barrel to the left, Ali rests at the foot of the American flag you see here. Just follow the flag stick down. Ali is in the barrel but an A is on the ground just at the foot of the barrel.
    [​IMG]
    Happy hunting!
    Nomad05 likes this.
  14. XDragRacer

Oddometer:
    Grab; "Somewhere, in Virginia, in the rain:"

[​IMG]

More specifically, Union Church Historic Site (ca. # 119, where Carter Street makes a right-angled turn), Falmouth, VA:

[​IMG]

"The Forlorn Hope:"

[​IMG]

The bridges mentioned were completed, but . . . the Union Army probably wished they hadn't been. No Ken Burns, I, but . . . General Robert E. Lee, observing the battle from an observation post on the Fredericksburg side of the Rappahannock, said words to the effect of: "It's a good thing war is so terrible; otherwise, we might grow to enjoy it!"

Speaking of Ken Burns, my uncle watched the Civil War (War Between The States) TV series with rapt attention. When I asked him about his interest, between episodes, he said, "This time, maybe we'll win!"

Side view of Union Church Historic Site:

[​IMG]

Somewhat less than the floor space of, say, Winchester Cathedral, but . . . don't think the architect was Frank Lloyd Wrong! Rather, only the front of the church has been preserved and restored. Small space? You can't meet in a church anyway, under the coronavirus shut-down; no problem!
    Nomad05 likes this.
  15. XDragRacer

Oddometer:
    Tag! Both the community and road wherein Ali now lies could both be named for this particular gemstone:

[​IMG]

Don't know this gemstone? Ask your wife, or girlfriend (or, both!).

As you ride westward along the road mentioned above, you'll pass an Avatar Way beyond your expectations, likely, then come upon a sign appearing thusly:

[​IMG]

Ali poses menacingly; two signposts visible to right of frame:

[​IMG]

Sighting down an optical line connecting the signposts, note the ornamental plant nearest the far signpost:

[​IMG]

While clearly, Ansel Adams did NOT make this image; Ali nonetheless peers from the foliage at the center of the designated plant:

[​IMG]

Looking into the driveway, a dwelling's picture window displays a roundel familiar to some inmates:

[​IMG]

The proprietor of the establishment, George, said he expected a polar bear, borne by KLR riders, who had visited him similarly at his previous location. I informed him the bear had been replaced by an alligator. I told him I was intrigued by telephone callers who thought, "Uber," in an establishment's name, meant the number connected to a gypsy taxi service. George smiled!

Oh, yes. Mind the Gridlock when you approach the tag site!
  16. inhousebob

Oddometer:
    Grab! Gridlock Motors, 7155 Opal Rd., Warrenton (Opal), VA
    [​IMG]
    This young lady (Carol) was trimming her bushes and came over for a chat. She was very friendly and smiled until I went to take a photo :-)
    [​IMG]
    XDragRacer likes this.
  17. inhousebob

Oddometer:
    Tag!
    This community center was named after the African American family who donated land to found a local church in 1904. It became a community center in 1973.
    [​IMG]
    Behind the bike is a planter box. Ali is in the corner of the box marked with an "A". don't wait long. They might want to plant something here!
    [​IMG]
  18. Nomad05

Nomad05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Grab! David Pinn Community Center
    Zion Drive, Fairfax, Va
    72C2657F-A888-41EF-9075-982A5B089233.jpeg
  19. Nomad05

Nomad05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tag!:jkam
    Ali decided to spend some enlightened time at a venue OTB that is temporarily closed due to the coronavirus pandemic. One where she could get her sutras and tantras on. Fit as an Ox, she decided it was wise to social distance from the main building and observe from under the parking area prayer flags.
    84F0D65F-B241-4E4C-B68E-5CDAEF02BF30.jpeg
    Note the area under the colorful prayer flags, just above the brake side moto mirror.
    505014AE-4E1C-49A0-8077-7FBFE8C0EF0C.jpeg
    DB0FB707-A0CB-445A-B4ED-426E5C4C54FC.jpeg

1233C9E1-BEFB-4E00-A869-C1159173A60C.jpeg
    Ali is resting comfortably underground, the approximate location indicated by the wooden “A”.
    7A499576-CD7A-4CFA-8BDE-0026B96E8E21.jpeg
  20. inhousebob

Oddometer:
    Drikung Dharma Surya - Buddhist Temple, 5300 Ox Road, Fairfax.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nomad05 likes this.