Northern Wildlife

Discussion in 'Canada' started by gearheart, Apr 21, 2006.

1. gearheart

gearheart Bombrun Lackey

Oddometer:
    So, I am heading north in June and am planning on doing a fair amount of camping out off the beaten path on my way to where the road ends. I am OK with the rain and am expecting mosquitos big enough to hitch a ride into town on if need be. My question is about the things that go bump in the night. Here in So-Cal, our bears are trained to run off when someone beats pots and pans together or blasts them with one of those air horn in a can things but due to the overly large size of AK, I wonder if some bears might have missed class and not enjoy being honked at. Canada makes it tough to bring the .50 AE along. Is it worth it to ship to an AK FFL or do I just need to sack up? What do you guys do when your outside the house? Are there any options to consider to avoid being processed through the south end of a north bound grizz?
    Thanks and so you this summer.
    My friends plan is to sleep in a tree each night, I haven't told him about the pipecleaner forest... :lol3
  2. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:
    Here's the rule that always works.

You don't have to outrun the bear, just the person you're camping with.

Seriously? Bear incidents are fairly rare (tell that to the guys who were one in a million that day :grim ) and for the most part preventable. Basic campsite discipline will keep a lot of the bear probelm out of your tent and your sleeping bag, refered to in bear speak as "burritos".

Basically you have to stay on the side of the bear equation that equals "caution". A bear has to decide if the potential payout in terms of food outwieghs his base wariness concerning humans, as long as the wariness side outweighs the food side chances are good he'll leave you alone, but if you leave enough food around to make the payoff worth the risk you'll find bears lack a large impulse control. Keeping a clean site is easier than the hassle of sending your piece ahead through an FFL, but then you always run the risk of getting a bear on a bad day and bears love to share bad days.
    We get a half million or so tourists and half a dozen bears attacks a year. If you're really concerned maybe a shotgun would be a better choice, a nice short barrel 12 guage with alternating buck and ball-excellent campsite defender and Canada approved.
  3. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    In light of the rising frequency of human - grizzly bear conflicts, the Alaska Department of Fish and Game is advising campers, hikers, hunters, and fishermen to take extra precautions and keep alert of bears while in the field.

We advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears that aren't expecting them. We also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear. It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity.

Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear & grizzly bear excrement. Black bear excrement is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear excrement has little bells in it and smells like pepper. :1drink
  4. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    +1 on the bear spray. Make sure it's the 1lb bottle and not just a little one. Also make sure it's a brand Custom's will allow thru. I had a hassle a couple yrs ago because it was a brand they hadn't seen before.

Usual common sense rules apply about not sleeping with your food or cookware. Make noise by talking loudly or singing when walking thru the woods and you'll be fine.

Have fun, MH
  5. Hobo

Hobo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most dangerous thing in AK are the cagers, don't worry about the bears. :eek1
  6. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Piss a scent ring around your campsite {if male} some say this is somewhat affective { probably do this anyways without thinking about it}. A couple of years back we had a wolf come in right past everything, I ended having to break its focus by hurling firewood at it and only did it snap out of it after a piece hit it in the side. It was still reluctant to leave but after a few more salvos it took the hint. But don't let folklore rune your goodtime by having you in fear everytime your camped out, just always be aware and pick your campsites wisely.