Northern Wisconsin Adventure Trail (NWAT)

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by Cannonshot, May 27, 2012.

1. e.Rock

e.Rock No Guts, No Story

Oddometer:
    We are planning on riding a good portion this weekend, thanks again @Cannonshot . I called Hi Pines about camping Friday and leaving our truck and trailer over the weekend and they don't allow it. Does anyone know of a campground that would, or know of a safe spot we could park?

Just a Toyota FJ and a 5x8 trailer, not some big toy hauler.
  2. ATKinRC

ATKinRC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, how is this ride for a Tiger 800? any adventure bikes done this ride?
  3. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Take a look at the pix in the ride report. Probably not Tigerable.
  4. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    This looks like a great ride. We have a small group tentatively planning to ride it in a few weeks, pending injury recoveries.

I have two versions of the ride file. One is called NWAT Final.gpx and the other is NWAT Ver 3.gpx. I don't know where I got the NWAT Final version from but just got Ver 3 from the previous page of this post.
    I haven't compared the two files.

Anyway which one is the latest?

And I haven't figured out what the RRnn waypoints are? I imagine this will dawn on me eventually.

Also are there any more recent problems with the route that it would help to know about ahead of time?

Thanks.
  5. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Version 3 is current.

RRnn are Rustic Roads and are designated by a number.
    wbbnm likes this.
  6. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Can't wait to ride this.
  7. dunord

dunord n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to understand Wisconsin's OHM rules. I am a Wisconsin resident and my bike is a street legal dual sport titled and licensed with the Wisconsin DOT. Do I also need to get a OHM permit from the Wisconsin DNR in order to ride the NWAT? In particular, I'm interested in the sections in Oconto, Marinette, Florence, Forest, and Langlade Counties.
  8. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    If you ride any formally designated public motorized trail, you need an OHM sticker.

Get a sticker. It allows us to build trails for motorcyclists.
    mshnhed likes this.
  9. dunord

dunord n00b

Oddometer:
    Let me re-phrase my question: Is the NWAT a "formally designated public motorized trail" or is it just an informal GPS track you've posted on a website? I don't see it listed on the DNR's website which lists off highway motorcycle trails: https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/parks/recreation/ohm

I haven't ridden off road since I was a kid 40+ years ago. I just want to try a stretch of the NWAT near where I own land to see if off road riding is something I'm interested in. If I like it and decide I want to do more trail riding, I'm perfectly willing to buy an OHM permit. But I don't really want to drop $30 for a one time use only to determine that trail riding isn't for me.
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
  11. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    We did about 300-400 miles of the trail as part of a >500 mile ride in the area. We went from Boulder Junction to Iron Creek mostly on the trail. Then we did a day in the Bayfield peninsula on some of the trail.
    We had a big rain day next and took highway back to Boulder. The last day we rode the NWAT to maybe 10 miles east of Eagle River and turned around.

It was really a nice ride with a good combination of easy, moderate, and harder dirt roads with about the right amount of pavement. We plan to go back and do more of it maybe next year.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  12. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    We did a ride similar to the one last August out of motels in Boulder Junction and Iron River loosely based on the NWAT. Loved it again. And this time we didn't lose a day to rain.

I rode a KTM 690 which was a pretty good choice for the ride. But I think I would be a lot happier on my KTM 500 exc on the harder sections.

This makes for a logistics problem. I wouldn't want to carry camping gear on the 500 even if I did camp, which I do not do. I am not excited about carrying overnight stuff for motels on this bike either.

I have started looking at ways to base for a couple of days out of towns and ride loops with as much of the NWAT as possible. Looks like Wabena might be a good choice for 1, part of 2 one day. And then maybe 14, 15, Alts another day, and maybe a loop to the north for a 3rd option We would then drive to another town for a few more days. Park Falls, Boulder Junction, and Iron River loop promising.

We do this a lot for rides in southern Utah and it works well. We call these "Moving Hub and Spoke Rides".

I will be looking for other hub opportunities and would appreciate any suggestions.