Northwest CT dirt road mapping quest

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by btao, Jul 17, 2013.

1. BigOgre

BigOgre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know, I know, but . . . an hour from my garage to Port Jeff, about an hour and a half from dock to dock, then maybe 30-40 minutes from Bridgeport to Southbury? So I'm looking at at least three hours before getting on the track. Not too bad but then it's the same on the return plus wherever I end up going north. Oh well. Thanks for the thought anyways. Looking at the weather maybe I'll try an escape on Wednesday.
  2. Old School Rider

Old School Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got it @BigOgre . Didn't realize you were on the island. Hope to ride with you another time.
  3. animalmx305

animalmx305 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This was challenging northern part of trail north of Winstead ....just wanted to share a track I found ...rode it last year on klr650 some rock climbing and descending

Attached Files:

4. jimmycapp

jimmycapp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just rode up that gnarly washout near Winchester lake last weekend. Thanks for sharing. Are you using OsmAnd trip recorder or something else?
  5. Boianovich

Boianovich Old and Cautious

Oddometer:
    I haven't been in that area and am not sure how gnarly the washout is, but if anyone wants a tour of mid to gnarly roads a little farther east and just over the MA border, I'm your man. I've spent a lot of time in that area and help do the routing for the spring BBA.

We can do from mid hard to wicked hard depending on tire/skill combo. We're even thinking of doing two, one day BBA's next year. I'm working on them to do a super hero section for those looking to put their big bike skills to the test.

I'd gladly do a campout and guided ride in that area this fall...
  6. jimmycapp

Oddometer:
    Count me and another guy in!
    Boianovich likes this.
  7. animalmx305

animalmx305 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm using gpx pro reader and if I want to look at a map and creat my own files marking out my own tracks I use "My Routes" creat a file and then convert to gpx...a little user unfriendly but it's a free app
  8. animalmx305

animalmx305 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah that trail I was on was north of border... definitely gnarly stuff up there....
  9. Boianovich

Oddometer:
    Some amazing riding up in them there woods. I have the Mass OHV registration, just to be safe. But last time I saw enforcement was in 2014
    animalmx305 likes this.
  10. Boianovich

Oddometer:
    I could be talked into riding tomorrow...
  11. jimmycapp

Oddometer:
    I’m free from 8-3. Torrington Winchester boarder. I’ll pm my number. Mounting a new front tire today so hopefully that goes well.
  12. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just rode this today
    Wow CT is beautiful
    Thanks for sharing
    I ran into a locked gate near the river
    I could make it around the gate but people were around and sign specifically said not too
    All in all awesome track
  13. BigOgre

BigOgre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I forgot about these tracks! Thanks for posting up. Depending on how early the martinis start this afternoon I might be enjoying the same ride tomorrow. :-)
  14. BigOgre

BigOgre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Almost blew it off but weather was just too nice not to take advantage of. Got on the 8:00 ferry and thoroughly enjoyed the entire day following the 2013 track. There really is some nice riding in that area.

That gate along River Road in Kent looks like it's going to remain locked but as Brutal said it's easy to get around it. (Looks like it got easier too since last year.) As I was riding towards it I passed a couple of older hikers and their little dogs that looked like they were living out of their van. I gave a big, friendly hello as I slowly went by and got a self-righteous scowl in return. When I got to the gate I hesitated and thought about doing the right thing by turning around but figured those folks already hated me so . . . . As far as why it's closed, when you make the left off of River Rd, (N. Kent #1?) there was a bit of water erosion that might explain it. Nothing too horrible but from now on I'll just stay on Skiff Mountain Rd. the whole way.

Now Mt. Easter / Clay Bed Rd. just before W. Cornwall - that'll keep your attention! :nod Can't be shy with the throttle through there.
  15. Boianovich

Oddometer:
    The gate has been discussed at length and is in place to keep cars/kids from partying down there and the town has given riders the OK to go around it.
  16. Brutalguyracing

Oddometer:
    Yeah Easter Rd I was bouncing my fully overload Strom off the skid plate.....
    What's the ferry cost?, It's out of port Jeff correct
  17. BigOgre

BigOgre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's good to know, thanks. I went back and read through most of the thread but guess I missed that part.

Yup, Port Jeff. $32 one way, bike and rider w/no passenger. No ressies required, actually you can't make one even if you wanted to, but I've never been denied a spot aboard. Takes about an hour and fifteen minutes to cross + or - some time for loading & unloading. Only sometimes unenjoyable aspect is getting lumped into a herd of HDs and having the stereos and pipes at full volume while everyone is waiting to disembark.

Here's the schedule. Leave yourself about ten or fifteen minutes prior to departure as you need to walk over to the office and pay before boarding.
    Brutalguyracing likes this.
  18. Brutalguyracing

Oddometer:
    Thanks
    Sounds like it would be quicker to just ride there instead like I have been doing
  19. Boianovich

Oddometer:
    FWIW, if you're looking to do multi day thru there, there are a couple nice comando camp spots along the river
  20. Brutalguyracing

Oddometer:
    By the road with the gate right?
    I saw people there but was unsure if camping was allowed
    That's my problem with mass and CT ..no where to camp
    I usually leave early Friday do the CT up to taconic so and camp there then head out to tmt Saturday to southern vt and camp there then run n gun sunday