Northwest CT dirt road mapping quest

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by btao, Jul 17, 2013.

1. BigOgre

BigOgre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, maybe. Over the years I've figured it adds about 30 minutes getting to my usual riding areas of NW CT and western Mass. but that's only if I leave by 0500 on a weekday otherwise traffic negates all that and more. (Do I really want to get up at zero-dark-thirty to go riding?? :nah) And then when trying to make it back after an enjoyable day on two wheels I certainly don't want to deal with any of the city traffic or crossings trying to get back onto the island. Only way to avoid that I suppose is to extend the ride until after rush - what maybe like around 2100? - and that makes for a very long day.

With the ferry the only traffic I'm dealing with is whatever I hit on Nicholls Rd and the LIE as I make the hour ride home w/b from Port Jeff. And the time spent on the boat allows me to have a cup of coffee and maybe breakfast before "commuting" to the start of my ride. Yesterday for instance it took me 25 minutes from Bridgeport to the beginning of the track. Sure beats the Cross Island and the Hutch any day even if it takes a tad longer. And as far as costs, I figure maybe half a tank of fuel and tolls account for about half of the ferry charge so net to me of roughly $15 or $20 for a much more enjoyable start and finish to my rides.

Not trying to sell you on anything though. I realize that I'm talking about day rides here wherein you might be looking at full weekends away. I also don't know where you're starting out from so maybe it just doesn't make sense for you. As the saying goes - YMMV.
  2. animalmx305

animalmx305 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm glad it's open for bikes to go through the gate...I thought I was doing it all year illegally I felt like a bad guy...lol.....and I live in Port Jeff so the ferry is perfect for me also ....used to drive around 5am 20 years ago but those days are over for me not worth it
  3. eransfitch

eransfitch n00b

Oddometer:
    Im looking to ride and connect all of CTs gravel roads together this year, any chance I could get my hands on those map files?
  4. Boianovich

Boianovich Old and Cautious

Oddometer:
    Couple of my favorite tracks
    I had a loop for the 188 to Washington but the out and back is better

I have to check an old drive to see if I can recover the files around Devils Hopyard

Attached Files:

5. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  6. Boianovich

Oddometer:
    This file is not Northwest, but Mark requested routes near the CT river.
    The 79/80 file goes back to my Tiger days circa 2015 and were all legit and legal. Off slab was mostly dirt roads with a couple mild technical sections here and there, or so I remember...

I have a couple tracks around Portland CT that I won't post as they are questionable. They were ridden on a Super Enduro and were pretty sporty if I remember correctly. 80+% were legal.
    If you'd like them. message me with the Secret ADV high sign and I'll send them over.

Attached Files:

cnmjr123 likes this.
  7. eldtim

eldtim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all. I'm a noob here to advrider. I live in New Fairfield, CT and recently got a new adventure bike. I'm looking to find dirt roads and stumbled across this thread. It looks to be a good source of riding information. Is this a good thread to find info? It looks like it was started several years ago. I think it's still active though? Are there other threads or links to help me find dirt. I am also looking to find others to ride with. Thank you.
  8. Dualsport Chic

Dualsport Chic Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @ eldtim -- welcome. What are you riding and what types of terrain do you enjoy riding? That might help focus the replies a bit.
  9. eldtim

eldtim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I recently got the KTM 790 Adventure R. I like riding twisty back roads, but I prefer the dirt. Nothing too technical at first. I'm still getting used to the bike. Maybe some fire road type stuff or rough double track for a bit. I'll probably avoid single track type stuff until I'm more comfortable on the bike. I've been riding for about 35 years. Mostly off road/motocross, but a fair amount of street as well. I've ridden Thomaston Dam on my dirt bike. I may take the 790 there in the summer. I'd mostly stay on the main road there or maybe some of the wider less techy trails. If there is tough single track to be ridden, I'd rather just bring my dirt bike. I just really enjoy getting out on the bike and exploring. If I can find some dirt to open it up a bit, even better. Hopefully that helps?
  10. Dualsport Chic

Oddometer:
    Check out Northeast Dualsport Riders:
    http://meetu.ps/c/SC70/1TpL7/a

We are a small to mid displacement DS group and run several rides each year in the general area with a few multi day trips thrown in for good measure.
  11. Boianovich

Oddometer:
  12. eldtim

eldtim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone! I'll check those out.
    Dualsport Chic likes this.
  13. Boianovich

Oddometer:
    If you're GPS savvy and like exploring we could use your help pre-riding the Explorer route in March or April...
  14. eldtim

eldtim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That sounds like fun. I'm mounting up a Garmin Nuvi today and have a Garmin Oregon that I use for hiking/mt biking/dirtbiking. I think I'm GPS savvy. Maybe not expert level, but I'd be down for exploring and helping out.
  15. Boianovich

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll keep you in the loop
  16. DrHeinrich

DrHeinrich um.... huh. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Feel free to PM me about this as well. Not far away. DR650 running Locus Pro.
  17. eldtim

eldtim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool.
  18. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did a couple of rides with them. Nice group of people. Highly recommend. Victoria is nice and runs a good ship.

KR
    galbro and Dualsport Chic like this.
  19. animalmx305

animalmx305 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did one ride with them a couple years ago ,.....great people
    CavReconSGT and Dualsport Chic like this.
  20. Dualsport Chic

Oddometer:
    Going to be a spring-like weekend here in southern New England - I hope to see more riders out and about. I know I'll be out there getting some recon accomplished.
    sjc56 likes this.