Northwest CT dirt road mapping quest

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by btao, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Bashunov

Bashunov n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey, my friend and I were going to try this out this weekend, I see it is from 2013, will this GPX file still work out good for us or is there an updated one? Anyone else want to ride with us? We are heading out in the morning around 10am, we ride a DRZ400S and a KTM 690.

Also, I am new to the whole GPX file thing, I have an android phone and I downloaded GPXviewer, will this allow me to easily navigate the route? Any input would be appreciated.
  2. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    99% sure the route is still a good one. It's all public roads, that just happen to be dirt.

As far as helping you with the GPS, I have one and it gets used as a speedometer. That's about what I've figured out so far in the last 3 years of owning it.
  3. Jstrummer

Jstrummer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an app called GPX reader, that's all it does.
    I did find a nice app called MotoMap, not sure if it's iPhone only though. That app lets you follow the line on the GPX file.
    I actually had to go right by Lake Waramaug for work today, so I went from Kent to Southbury on lots of dirt roads, thanks to Jackdob's route, in my Cherokee. It's really surprising the scenery in CT. It feels like Massachussets, Vermont or NH in parts of it. Had a blast and gettin paid!
  4. Scottyluc

Scottyluc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It still works. I've done it several times recently. We have a group heading out in the morning as well to do this ride but from the opposite end down in Oxford. We'll be heading up to the Toymakers for lunch. Gonna be a nice day for a ride.

Can't help with the gpx file. I use a Garmin Montana.
  5. Scottyluc

Oddometer:
    In case anyone was interested I took some video on Saturday, This starts in Oxford and ends in Falls Village. We didn't go all the way to Colebrook. I edited and condensed the video to just the dirt road sections and it still was about an hour and a half worth. So here it is in 3 parts. All are in HD.

Ethical Paul likes this.
  6. Scottyluc

Oddometer:
    Part 2

7. Scottyluc

Oddometer:
    Part 3

To the 3 guys we surprised in the Housatonic SF - If you're on here - SORRY!!! We were kinda messing around. Hope we didn't scare anyone. We came up on ya pretty quick.

8. Scottyluc

Oddometer:
    FYI - If you do this route be careful of joggers, farm equipment and people walking. It's towards the end of the hay season and most farmers are doing their second cut so there is the possibility of tractors and such on these roads.
    Also, the scenery even at this time of year is spectacular.

If anyone is interested in doing the route let me know. Would be happy to show it to them.
  9. Jstrummer

Oddometer:
    nice! I did it solo yesterday, looped Lake Waramaug and headed back same way I came.

Attached Files:

10. Scottyluc

Oddometer:
    I know just where those pics are - out behind the Southbury Training School. That's nice area up there.

We cut out the Waramuag loop. There is a different way to go once you hit 202 coming from Oxford that cuts out the pavement that goes around Waramaug. However, the Waramaug loop is a nice ride and does offer some great scenery. For us, most of the group were on more offroad oriented machines so we looked more for the dirt than the pavement.
  11. Jstrummer

Oddometer:
    I was watching your video. At one point you come to a bridge near some farms. I did the same but realized I missed a turn. I checked my map and looked like I had to turn around or else I couldn't get over that river. So I turned around and took the turn.
    You kept on going.

I prefer dirt too, I couldn't hang with you guys though I'm a brandy new rider.
  12. Scottyluc

Oddometer:
    We welcome new riders to ride with us! Everyone rides at their own pace. We stop at every intersection so everyone can catch up and usually have a sweep rider that knows the route. We had a guy with us on a Gas Gas on Saturday that is pretty new to dirt riding. Also the guy with the Scrambler wasn't tearing things up either. We don't have any attitudes in our group. At 44 I'm the youngest. Most of the others are 50+.

So please, if you eve want to head out, you are more than welcome to join us.
  13. Scottyluc

Oddometer:
    Also, there were a couple places that we did go differently than the route posted. Not major changes. Just a bit different. I'm pretty sure I managed to get all of the route down on my Montana so I'll get with Jack and see what we can do about add-ons or alternates to the route.
  14. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice vids. I didn't watch it all. Any spots not fit for an old guy on a big Adv bike?
  15. Scottyluc

Oddometer:
    This route is all Big Bike friendly.
  16. AndytheElder

AndytheElder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a track similar to the one I uploaded in post #10 of this thread that I want to share. It starts in Southford Falls and ends in Colebrook near the TMT like the older track but uses different roads between those points. I used as much dirt road as possible while still trying to get from A to B somewhat efficiently. The only caution I have to anyone who decides to ride this is that since all the roads are public roads, you will probably encounter an oncoming car, jogger or dog walker somewhere along the line so be aware (and considerate if possible). There are stretches with lots of houses but there are others where you can grab a hand full of throttle if you are so moved. Untitled.jpg

Attached Files:

the kawasaki kid and Jstrummer like this.
  17. JackDob

JackDob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This would make a great loop. With the temps cooling next week I might try this and see if I can connect both so as to start and stop in Southford Falls it might be a good days run. I tried a similar route and got hung up in Washington when I would not go down a very steep blocked road that disappeared into an abandoned road. I see this one goes around that particular hangup using Horse Heaven Road.
  18. Scottyluc

Oddometer:
    Agreed!!!! That looks like fun.
  19. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    are these files routes or tracks?
  20. TT72

TT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Andy you have a route sheet of the ride?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk