1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Northwest CT dirt road mapping quest

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by btao, Jul 17, 2013.

1. AndytheElder

AndytheElder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The file I posted is the track from my gps the day I rode this . I use Garmin Basecamp try to put together rides for myself and I get by with a basic understanding of its tools. However, the best I can do for a route sheet are these screenshots from the "route properties " box. Couldn't manage to create a single text file. Sorry. Hope you can use it TT72.

Sheet #1.png Sheet #2.png Sheet #3.png Sheet #4.png
  2. TT72

TT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tanks Andy for the info .I will try to set up a route sheet with your info add more fun to the ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. Hich76

Hich76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First I liked to thank all those who put New England Backcountry tracks/ dirt roads together. I have been enjoying the backcountry riding very much. I'm coming from Long Island, my ride usually starts from the Bridgeport Ferry. I drive up Route 8 and start in Winsted (TMT), taking that up to the beginning of the PDR then over to the beginning of the Hampster in Hollis. I take a different route(3x's now) over to Hollis looking for the more dirt(lol). I take the Hampster to Benton and shoot over the the beginning of the Bayley–Hazen Military Road. Take the BH Road to the North end of the PDR, and stay in Jay. Hop onto the PDR and take it all the way south to the end, re-connecting to the Winsted route and back to the Bridgeport Ferry. Now I just loaded these 2 routes into gps (pic below) starting me further south. Man....I'm never gonna get Home now!!!
    thanks all for the great riding....hich

p.s. heading up again Monday or Tuesday depending on the weather to do the whole ride again and of course looking for more dirt over to Hollis from the end of the Winsted Route.

Attached Files:

4. Undercover Poe

Undercover Poe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone riding in to this event tomorrow from our area?[​IMG]
  5. rockremoval

rockremoval Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That was me and a few buddies. I like the northwest ct area but don't know it all that well. Good to see a fellow inmate. Your rides look good. If you have any gpx files you wish to share it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. See you on the trail.
  6. originalspacerob

originalspacerob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Everyone,
    Just found this thread yesterday. Awesome work everyone. I rode the trans Mass to VTPDR to Canadian border solo 4 years ago on my Suzuki GS550 Scrambler I built. Had a blast. Been finding some dirt roads near the CT river in Haddam, Chester and such and am amazed at all the roads that are in CT that are still dirt. Would love to meet up with some of you at some point and explore and put some routes together. I have found some that are still dirt per the GPS but have been paved since, such a shame. I saved a few of the drop box routes some posted but would like to get a few of the other routes. Especially the initial one that has all the dirt roads marked out.Does anyone still have them available, I can send a PM if so. Thanks in advance.
  7. Undercover Poe

Undercover Poe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a great route and we
    are lucky to still have these roads unpaved
  8. Scottyluc

Scottyluc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If anyone is interested I will be doing the Southford to Colebrook loop listed here on Saturday morning.
    We will be heading north on the route provided by anytheelder and returning on the route provided by jackdob. I've done all of jackdob's route and part of andytheelder's. Should be a nice ride this time of year.

We will be leaving from Seymour and starting at Southford Falls. We will be meeting a couple other guys in Roxbury around 9:30am so we will probably be leaving Southford no later than 8:30.
    Right now there are 4 of us going. Anyone is welcome.

Let me know if you are interested!
  9. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    what da
    what day?
  10. Scottyluc

Oddometer:
    Lol, that would help!!

Will be Saturday morning. I'll edit the above the thread.
  11. Jstrummer

Jstrummer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rats, I planned on doing it Sunday, I have to work Saturday. Have a good ride.
    Anyone going on Sunday?
    We need a proper name for this route.
  12. Scottyluc

Oddometer:
    No one from my crew is doing that route Sunday. We may be out somewhere.
  13. vlodpg

vlodpg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OST!
  14. Jstrummer

Oddometer:
    Brrrr chilly out there yesterday, even got some snow in Sharon.
    Totally worth it, the foliage is popping and many of the roads were covered in golden maple leaves, looked like a golden road.
    I will say of the four or five sets of people walking dogs, none seemed too thrilled to see me. No waves returned, and I approached slowly and quietly.
    Wondering if they are tiring of Moto traffic.
  15. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
    If you are obeying the law,
    Too fckin' bad. We pay the highest gas taxes in the nation and those roads are funded by everyone. (including the gas I buy for my lawn mower) Every town gets money from the state based on the number of miles of roads. Those roads must be open (not gated) to vehicle traffic.
    Walking doesn't contribute a cent, but we let them do it any way. We should be the ones getting sick of foot traffic. Rant over.
  16. Scottyluc

Oddometer:
    My experience was different. The majority of people we ran across did wave.

One thing to consider is that a lot of these roads run thru some pretty well off areas. It seems that some of these snooty people don't like anyone ruining their "country" ideals.
    Doesn't matter to me one bit if they wave or not. I had fun!!!
    As Rusty Rocket eluded to it's all legal riding anyway so no skin off my back.
  17. Jstrummer

Oddometer:
    Think it was the snooty folks. I doubt if I was going faster than limit, I'm a new rider so I take it pretty easy.
    It didn't bother me.

Is every road on that route a "real" road?
    There was one or two, not sure where I was , Sharon or Cornwall maybe, phew they were rough roads! Steep, rocky. FUN.
  18. Jstrummer

Oddometer:
    One last observation. I was all into the Trans Mass Trail when I first got my bike. I've run it four or five times. The last time I did it I was a little underwhelmed after doing our CT track. I think it's just as good or better. And I can be at either end of ours in 30 or 40 minutes. The end of the TMT I'm 2 1/2 hours by slab from home.
    I have a new favorite I guess
  19. vlodpg

vlodpg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They will love my TwoBrothers pipe then!
  20. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
    no reason to break the law.
    adding exhaust that is louder than stock violates Federal law. Then they'd have a legitimate bitch.
    the kawasaki kid likes this.