NorthWest Passage Adventure Route - A NEW EVENT

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by davidpetersen, Jan 21, 2015.

1. davidpetersen

davidpetersen BestRest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BestRest developed a NEW off-road adventure route that runs from the Pacific Ocean, eastward across the top of Washington, into the panhandle of Idaho, then northeast into Montana where it connects with the CDR at Roosville MT. 6 days of blissful riding suitable for mid- to large-sized adventure bikes.

NorthWest Passage (NWP) Adventure Route

[​IMG]

BestRest has been leading this ride for the past 3 years. It's so good, we decided to share it with youse guyz. We put together a whole package of resources and info so you can ride and enjoy this route too.

Everything is available for FREE on the BestRest website, including:
    1. GPS Tracks
    2. Daily Itineraries
    3. Maps showing the route and the various GPS Tracks
    4. And finally, we produced a video that explains the NWP, shows where you'll be riding, and tells you what to expect along the trail.

Click HERE to watch the video.
  2. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
    Good job Dave. Looks like a must do in my own backyard. I will have to try this route when I quit playing in Canada.
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  4. Bravo21

Bravo21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting up this route. It's in my backyard! Living in Spokane, I'm familiar with some parts of the ride on this side of the state. I'll try this in reverse, however, heading east to Priest Lake then west to Seattle and then back to Spokane via the paved return route.

Thanks!
  5. davidpetersen

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words...

If you downloaded the GPS tracks before 0919 hours PST 01-22-15, then there was an error. Seems our server (or me the servee) accidentally converted the file to another format.

I just updated the tracks to the proper .GPX file extension. Reload if necessary.

If we meet on the NWP Adventure Route, you guys owe me a beer. I reckon I'll be riding the entire route half-soused...:rofl
  6. davidpetersen

Oddometer:
    What goes around, comes around.

Several years ago I followed your GPS track on the CDR. Now I get a chance to return the favor. If you have as much fun on the NWP as I did on the CDR, then we're even. Well.... almost.
  7. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm GPS-challenged. Is the route available on a paper map?

1911fan
  8. davidpetersen

Oddometer:
    Yes it is, after a fashion.

Go to the website, click down to the page that says "GPS Itineraries". Download the 3 PDF files. Print them per instructions.

You will end up with 8-1/2 x 11" pages, with 2 maps per page. They basically walk you thru the entire route, page-by-page.

You could also set your printer to 11x17 size ( use larger paper) then you'd have maps 2 maps measuring 8.5x11 per page.

The PDF file is pretty detailed, so if you zoom in you can read individual roads and see the turning points.

I've also toyed with the idea of loading the PDF itineraries and maps onto my smart phone. You could actually navigate using the PDF details as you view your phone.

If you get lost, don't blame me. GPS is the way to go. :huh
  9. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the track!
    :thumb
  10. Byway Writer

Byway Writer Backroads Explorer

Oddometer:
    David, this is incredibly generous of you to create and share for free. The provided resources appear very well put together. I look forward to exploring this route. Thanks 1,000,000!
  11. davidpetersen

Oddometer:
    Generous?.... hmmmm... well, thanks. I figured this was my way of "paying forward" for my buddies in the adventure riding community.
    purdytj likes this.
  12. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the route and great video. Good timing too as the Jersey Crew is in the planning stages for a Idaho trip this fall.
  13. java230

java230 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great route. Ill probably get crucified for this, but it looks mostly do-able in a truck. Is that the case?

I cant get that much time away from the family, and it would be fun to bring the kid along. I don't mind pinstriping.
  14. davidpetersen

Oddometer:
    Truck? TRUCK? TRUCK?

Yeah you could do it in a truck. In the middle of the night so no one sees you. :rofl
  15. java230

java230 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah..... My bikes aren't street legal either....

Thanks for the honest feedback. I may give it a go this summer. Its an SUV if that makes you feel better :rofl
  16. M700

M700 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool!

Guys, this is a route I've actually done most of already. I'd guess 75 - 80%. Much of it on my motorcycle, some in a 4x4 rig. A lot of it is either the same as the WABDR, or very near, just an alternate path. Good route!

It's a great route for a trout fisherman BTW!

That's what I get for living in North Central Washington for 20 years, with a penchant for exploring the hills & canyons, and having family in western Montana.

Enjoyed the video, and it was a hoot seeing so many of my old favorite places show up!

Regards, Guy
  17. diverdown

diverdown Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]Hey David can I do your route with this. 2005 1200 Harley sportster adventure rig.:clap
  18. diverdown

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]We like steep hills. water crossing, Knarly tracks. Robert:lol3
  19. diverdown

Oddometer:
    thank you for posting the tracks and maps and video. Tried to support the Back road discovery route guys but seems touratech has them in there back pocket and will only send me the maps. no shirts, no videos or decals shipped to Canada WTF:huh. some inmates have offered to send me decals and shirts but its not the point. I will not have one piece of touratech shit on any of my five bikes. I will support BestRest products (hope you ship to Canada) and would be proud to have your products on my rig. Once again thank you, Happy Trails. diverdown
  20. davidpetersen

Oddometer:
    When we laid out the NorthWest Passage Route, we took into account the trails currently used by the WABDR. Yes, there are a few short sections (here and there) where the two share the same path, probably less than 50 miles total. There simply weren't alternate trails in those sections, so if you want to get from Point A to Point B you have to share.

That being said, the NWP isn't a clever "rebranding" of the WABDR. NWP runs east and west, WABDR runs north and south. They are two distinct and separate adventure routes - both are worthy of being ridden. You can even combine them if you want, riding the WABDR from the south, then transitioning to the NWP as you get close to the Canadian border. Then you'd go eastward as far as Montana, then southward to Mexico. From there onward... well that's the next adventure.

A few of you have had the pleasure of riding parts of the NWP before it was "officially charted", so you know the joys of this trail. I make no claims of being a modern Christopher Columbus or a Lewis and Clark. I wasn't the first guy to discover this route, even though I've been riding it for almost 20 years. I'd ride one section this year, another section the following year. Sometimes solo, most of the time 2-up with the Long Suffering Wife on the back. (I could tell you stories of the two of us dragging the bike back onto the trail.) Each journey was an adventure, every turn a new experience, every challenge was something to be enjoyed.