NorthWest Passage Adventure Route - A NEW EVENT

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by davidpetersen, Jan 21, 2015.

1. 4corners14

4corners14 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    .....I'll be checking it out as well!:clap
  2. M700

M700 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    David - yes the Smithbrook Road to Lake Wenatchee, then up to the Sugarloaf lookout is a favorite of mine, on the bike, or in the Jeep.

Good stuff. Then up to Lake Chelan via Ardenvoir... The wonderful Entiat River Valley, and all the way past Republic over to Northport. TERRIFIC!

Across the Panhandle, and over to the Yaak River and Troy Montana. Dang... Yes I have ridden and driven, hunted and fished, much of the area/route you describe over the past 20 years.

I'd recommend any angler BRING the Rod and Reel! Lots of good fishing along the way. Problem is, needing more time to fish and needing three different fishing licenses for the three states.

It really is a good route. Enjoy.

Regards, Guy
  3. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    My wife and I are discussing having #3 daughter and #1 granddaughter drive the truck to each night's camping spot, so we could ride without a lot of baggage and still have a nice camp. They both like the outdoors and camping, so....

1911fan

PS: No, #3 daughter will do the driving!
    DesertSurfer likes this.
  4. davidpetersen

davidpetersen BestRest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well that sounds like a pretty civilized way to handle this ride. Less gear for you to carry, and you get to spend time with family at day-end. :D
  5. 1911fan

Oddometer:
    Well duh.... They can sleep in, hang out, pack up and hit the road whenever, and probably still beat us to the next campground.

We rode (most of) the north half of the WABDR last summer, and it is very pretty up there. Amazing views and lots of lupine. We're thinking of trucking the bikes to Conconully and spending the night at Liar's Cove, then riding to Oroville for a night, then heading east. Anyhoo... will be fun.

1911fan
  6. strykerpro

strykerpro Git R Dun

Oddometer:
    I would like to put together a group of riders with Intermediate skills at the least to ride the NW Passage continuing through to the IDBDR somewhere around June 8-June 19. I've done rides like this before but with no more than three riders most of the time just two on GS's and KLR's or KTM 690's . At this point early in the game I'm just drumming up interest here on ADV and Dual Sport Riding Club on meetup.com to see who would be interested. Max group size would need to be 6 for this type of ride. Any larger and the slinky effect slows things way down. This is a perfect ride for large adventure bikes so I don't know maybe the smallest a 500 properly equipped. Well everybody drum in and let's see where this goes. The dates are flexible to give inmates time to request furlough's from their wardens. I would prefer to make this a selective process, respectfully.
  7. 1911fan

Oddometer:
    I read the pdf on the ride, he's got some very good group ride 'rules' to minimize the slinky. Also seems like a good ride for the big 'uns, because he states the Lake Wenatchee to Sugarloaf LO leg is the hardest part of the ride. Since I've run Maverick Saddle (just north of Sugarloaf LO) at just under 100mph several times on the 990, I don't think it's that hard.
    Point being, that's a pretty simple ride IMHO. Ms1911fan has done it a few times on her F650GS with no problem. If that's the hardest part it'll be a fun fast ride.

1911fan
  8. M700

M700 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but you're crazy. I tried to keep up with that 990 of yours... :D

Guy
  9. strykerpro

strykerpro Git R Dun

Oddometer:
    If your interested let me know. I have a Seattleite friend with a 690 whos fast as hell and he wants to do it. Three fast riders sounds like fun...:freaky

10. 1911fan

Oddometer:
    lol, thanks Guy! That was an awesome bike and I miss it, but I think was going to bite me. I'm old and slowing down a little. Back in the day, I was sponsored for motocross, drag racing, and road racing and had a blast. On the 990, my brain kept saying "You can do it!!" and my body kept saying, "Yeah, but that was 25 years ago... oh, what the hell!"
    But man I had fun.
    Strykerpro, I'm on either a DRZ400 or a 650 Dakar and don't consider myself fast any more. I'd probably keep up for a while and then just hang back and enjoy the scenery.
    I want to do this ride, it sound great!

1911fan
  11. davidpetersen

Oddometer:
    For clarification and edification: The "hardest" section of the NWP Adventure Route

In my opinion the "hardest" stretch of the ride is the climb from the Fish Lake area to the Maverick Saddle. After a gentle climb from Fish Lake you'll come to a crossroads marked "Horse Camp". From there you'll be climbing up a narrow rocky road that goes up the side of the mountain, finally cresting at Maverick Saddle.

This is the "hardest" stretch not only because of the road conditions and the sharp fall-off to the downhill side, but also because this is the first serious section of dirt that really challenges rider and machine. Riders are still getting used to the feel of their fully loaded bike. Mistakes can happen as man and machine get to know one another. This climb is a confidence builder, because once you've conquered that trail you feel like you can handle anything.

Once you're up on the ridge-top it's easy sailing as you go south toward SugarLoaf. Smooth wide roads lend themselves to brisk paces. Last time I was up there I was riding along at a comfortable 45 MPH when a guy on a KTM passed me doing over 100. Within a 1/4 mile he was passed by another guy doing 120 on a KLR. :rofl
  12. 1911fan

Oddometer:
    It's also gnarly due the fact that there are always a lot of jagged rocks of varying sized on the road. I rode the 990 down it in one year's Dirtyface ride, and it was almost trials riding to find a smooth route.
    On the bright side, that stretch is pretty short. A mile? Two at most, and then you're on good FS roads.

1911fan
    RVFlyer likes this.
  13. RestlessRider

RestlessRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks David. I also downloaded your book from the website. I'll check out your store next time I am in Seattle. Appreciate your efforts.
  14. 1911fan

Oddometer:
    The 990 is totally believable, but a KLR at 120..... you jumped the shark. :D

1911fan
  15. davidpetersen

Oddometer:
    I dunno, I might be wrong. I was swept up in the emotion of the moment. Yes, now that I think of it, that 2nd bike wasn't a KLR. It was a GS-equipped Vespa. :rofl
  16. NWPanzer

NWPanzer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The more I look over the route, look at google maps - the more I want it to be summer! Can't wait to make this ride. went out for a short ride today in Spokane - little chilly at 80mph but like the brits say "no bad weather, just bad gear."

1911 - I'll stay in touch as we get closer to summer, would love to join your caravan. I'm not sure yet what I can contribute in way of support trucks, but I'm pretty self sufficient.
  17. 1911fan

Oddometer:
    No worries- Full size crew cab with an eight foot bed. We can ride naked and camp like kings, if I can line up a support driver.

1911fan
  18. davidpetersen

Oddometer:
    Uggh. Naked riders on the NWP. What is this world coming to?
  19. 1911fan

Oddometer:
    I knew somebody would go there..... Naked bikes, not loaded down with camping gear and so more fun to ride. Not naked humans, though some of them are fun to ride. Dammit, I went there too. :huh

Mrs1911and I are in the early stages of "How do we do this?" (the ride!) and are hoping to bribe #3 daughter and #1 granddaughter into being a support crew. We'll see.

1911fan
  20. WU7X

WU7X The Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Hey 1911fan, are you going to attend the NWOR/TT Rallye in Plain this June? I'm still deciding whether or not to take the 4Runner or the DL650/M72D sidecar setup over there.

I bring this up because I am thinking about caging the WABDR in July, hooking up to the NW Passage Route on the north end and driving over to northern ID. My 4Runner is set up with a complete cooking arrangement, including an ARB frig and a Camp Chef dual burner stove. I can feed four pretty easily with it. So if daughter #3 and grandaughter don't pan out maybe we can do something together???

In late August or the first week in September I want to cage the IDBDR down to Twin Falls, ID, pick up the Heart of the West loop, modify it to complete the COBDR and IDBDR (need to do the north halves of each), then truck back home. This is going to be a 3-4 week, 4,500+ mile trip. I'd love to do it on a DS, but I don't have one, I"m too old, and too inexperienced. :lol3