NorthWest Passage Adventure Route - A NEW EVENT

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by davidpetersen, Jan 21, 2015.

1. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Planning to do this the first week of September ...

Track 7 Northport to Boundary Damn, I called and confirmed the Boundary Dam campground is closed, and will be through at least Labor Day, possibly until mid September
  2. YoZ

YoZ KLRider

Oddometer:
    I will be riding this route starting Sept 5th or 6th, going all the way to the start of the Continental Divide Route (CDR) then riding the CDR down to Mexico
  3. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My buddies and I are planning to start this next week. However, it looks like the Ardenvoir area is on fire. Anyone work out any alternative tracks yet, other than taking the highway from Leavenworth to Chelan?

Edit: Looking at fire maps, the Entiat River RD is closed in the area of Ardenvoir, as is the Mad River RD. Looking for alternative routes. Any locals that can make suggestions?
  4. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Leaving Thursday morning.

Any ideas as to how much water we should each be carrying? I know it's a bit more remote than the WABDR...
  5. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm planning a solo run starting 9-19-2018. I know Dave is on the ride now, returning the 18th and PNWet it looks like you are leaving today. If you can, please provide any updates on fires, road closures and conditions.

PNWet, I've not ridden the route so I can't say definitively about how much water to carry but I loaded up the tracks in BaseCamp and the Waypoints that Dave provides but then went through using City Navigator and OSM to look for more food, water, lodging, gas and there is a gas station on each section of the ride that is also a convenience store. That tells me that you just need a days worth of water on you. For me that's generally 70oz in my camelbak bladder and then 20 oz in a bottle. I generally use 16 oz for cooking, 4oz for cleaning and drink some amount of the 70. I've only run out once and that was above 100 degrees on the WABDR last summer. How hot it is and if you need water for washing and cooking will be the final determiner. Good luck!

Thanks and have FUN!

Joe
  6. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I finished the route Sept 5. We left on Aug 30, so it took us 7 full days. We rode out to the ID border, following the route, and then returned the same way (rather than 4 days out and 2 days interstate back).

I carried 4 liters of water with me. 1 friend carried 50oz water, the other 70oz. My extra water was for cooking/cleaning. We were able to shower each day as follows: I brought 2x2L and 1x1L Platypus bladders. I heated water on the Trangia 27-9 and filled the 1L Platypus with warm water. I then attached a Kurgo head to the bottle, and voila! A make-shift shower! It obviously is not as good as a regular shower, but it worked for 3 grown men for this trip. This was our only way of bathing for 7 days.

If you follow the route, you'll have access to gas, ice, water, and yellow heet (Trangia fuel) every day.

Also, the Boundary Dam campground may be re-open by now. As an alternative, there're many other campgrounds around. We stayed at West Sullivan. An app like Camp and Tent (iOS) or WikiCamps USA (Android) or Park Advisor (Android) can be helpful, but unfortunately they don't overlay with the GPS tracks (that I know of) and you'll need data service, which will most likely not be available.

Edit: apparently WikiCamps USA is available in iOS and Android. Also, it's available off-line. Not sure if the free version has off-line data available.
    JohnfromJersey likes this.
  7. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    FYI the links in the first post are not working.
  8. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im not sure why I didn't post any pics

Longswamp:
    20180903_195122.jpg

Cooper Mountain:
    20180904_174708.jpg

Can't remember where, but both my buddies are in it:
    20180904_120421.jpg
  9. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Thanks for posting the pics.
  10. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Molson ghost town:
    20180903_113755.jpg
    20180903_114732.jpg

I found this one interesting. It's a map from 1889:
    20180903_123829.jpg
    WU7X and Ladybug like this.
  11. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why don't you guys carry water filters instead of a lot of water that is heavy? I've been carrying a filter for decades. Currently using a Sweetwater 16 and like it, but there are plenty on the market.
    I drink all the water I want, never carry more than a liter or two in my Platypus. When I stop to fill up, I also drink a bunch of water. Never thirsty, not loaded down.
  12. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    100% agree. Bring a filter.

I carry a Sawyer mini.

On the other hand, the downside to riding somewhere new is not knowing where the water sources are. Generally though everywhere I ride has some sort of water source along the way.
  13. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    I'd be dead if I depended solely on finding a water source.

When I rode the CDR from Mexico to Canada--------I lost count of how many times I gave my water to a bicyclist who couldn't find water and were about done.
    [​IMG]
    Ladybug, PNWet and ScotsFire like this.
  14. 1911fan

Oddometer:
    I was referring to riding around the Pacific NorthWet. There is water everywhere here. I was bear hunting on Labor Day weekend, and packing out to the trail at 7400' we found water. Odd, because the summit was only a few hundred feet above Us.
    If I lived where you live, I'd pack water!!
  15. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Not in SE Oregon....
  16. 1911fan

Oddometer:
    You'd be surprised.