Norway, 5 days of dust.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Prillok, Jul 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Prillok

Prillok Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer:
    I found some GPS tracks of Norgwegian gravel roads, it wasn't difficult to convince a friend to come along for a few days of riding.

Day 1, Gothenburg-Höljes
    [​IMG]
    Nothing interesting to report, paved roads up to the Norwegian border.

Day 2, Höljes-Koppang

Entering Norway
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There has been a drought in Scandinavia for a while now. I can't remember it ever being this dry, the road dust gets everywhere.
    [​IMG]

Went for a swim.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The very long gravel road on the west side of Storsjøen was beautiful. Stopped to let some air out of my tires to stop them from bouncing on the rocks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very nice day, still pretty flat part of Norway, mountains should come tomorrow.

Day 3, Koppang-Grimsbu

In Norway you can rent one of these small cabins (hytter) for a very reasonable 450NOK ($55) they are everywhere.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Petrol can be scarce, fill up when you can :)
    [​IMG]

Same goes for food. Typical roadside food is tasty and nourishing, 165NOK ($20)
    [​IMG]

If only we had a ramp to jump on...
    [​IMG]

Going up Tronfjell, Norways second highest road. (1666 meters)
    [​IMG]

Top part was under construction and off limits.
    [​IMG]

Luckily no one was there to stop us.
    [​IMG]

Gotta get to the absolute top!
    [​IMG]

We hurried down before getting drenched.
    [​IMG]

Pad thai, 179NOK ($22) Norway is very expensive. This dinner would have been 85SEK ($9.50) in Sweden.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bonnie & Clyde and Magus like this.
  2. Prillok

Oddometer:
    Day 3, Grimsbu-Toftemo

Breakfast, 35NOK ($4.30)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My first trip with the giant loop bag, works really well but not quite waterproof. It does come with drybags though.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We got really soaked 5 minutes after this picture.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My friend has an extremely loud motorbike that scares away all the animals, when he did turn it off some sheep came begging for food.
    [​IMG]

BMW or KTM?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We descended from the mountains into Dovre and started going north. We quickly turned when we saw the rain, it wasn't better going south so we stopped early in Toftemo. They were out of cabins but we got a hotel room the annex, no attached bathroom but 700NOK ($86) including breakfast is ok.
    [​IMG]

It cleared by dawn.
    [​IMG]
    Suncoaster likes this.
  3. Prillok

Oddometer:
    Day 5, Toftemo-Gothenburg

We saw two moose during the trip, this one was running alongside the road for a while. Moose have a really funny gait, like a slightly drunk horse. It almost got away before I got my camera up.
    [​IMG]

Climbing up Blåhøe, 1617 meters and Norways third highest road.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

End of the road.
    [​IMG]

Going back down again.
    [​IMG]

Making friends.
    [​IMG]

The most turquoise lake I've seen since Switzerland
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gravel over for now so filled up the tires and started heading homeward. My tire dropped from 1.7bar to 0.9bar all by itself over three days. Odd it doesn't leak when I keep it at 2.2bar for the road.
    [​IMG]

Highways in Norway can be stunning.
    [​IMG]

We hadn't planned to make it all the way home, we had ridden 240km of gravel that day and it was getting late but as we got closer and closer to home we decided to just go for it. We made it back at three in the morning but still in high spirits after a total of 740km that day.

If I did it again I'd probably skip the tent, the cabins were cheap enough that we didn't bother. Instead pack food and make lunch while out riding, lunch places are scarce out on the gravel roads.

Overall, a great trip.