Norway in a figure of 8. Summer 2020

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by JohnnyTh, Aug 25, 2021.

1. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Being of Norwegian ancestry I very much enjoyed. Thanks so much.

Ps. Yes, I’ve thrown axes.
  2. JohnnyTh

JohnnyTh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Next day we followed the normal routine. Breakfast, packing and back on the road. This was our last day camping so I gave the camp site owner a couple of army rations that I had as back up food and we set off. Target for today was my brother’s place. He lives close to Oslo. We did not expect much on this road and not much happened. We pulled over in Oslo at a Asia store and Rose ran off to get some Asian foodstuff.

Bilde 05.08.2020, 22 20 46.jpg
    She would finally quench her cravings for Asian food.

Oslo was wet and we had light rain. That combined with have been to Oslo several times during the last year Rose had been in Norway we headed straight to my brothers place and enjoyed the comfort of a real bed and chairs for a couple of days.
    Bilde 06.08.2020, 02 48 56.jpg

We did a bit of shopping in Oslo and I managed to find the same down sleeping bag bought Rose in Mo I Rana at a sale so I bought it for myself also. The last camping gear upgrade on this ride.

The second day the weather was good again and we borrowed one of my brothers canoes and joined them on a nearby lake, before getting back on the bike and going home.
    Bilde 08.08.2020, 03 38 07.jpg
    The 6 hours going home was done non-stop, except for a bit of food at a highway rest area and fuel.

The ride had been a huge success. Rose was not hating the bike and she is looking forward to our next adventure. Our Rukka gear keep us dry the few days we had rain. Except for the first cold 4 days we had amazing weather, and we had been very comfortable the whole time.

It was always he plan to try to keep the cost down, and we managed to do that with great success. We only bought food a handful of times and most of our meals was self-cooked on our multifuel stove. The bike worked flawlessly, but it might get replaced by a 1250GS. The GTR1400 is a great bike, but for two up the luggage is a bit limited. So, a GS with scaffolding on the back is hight on my list of priorities. We where on the road for 16 days. Not counting the days at my brother’s place. I would say this is minimum time for a ride like this. Sure you can do it in less time, but you will have to sacrifice a lot.

Back home I reported ready for work, but all my projects was delayed, on hold or cancelled, because of COVID. It would be a total of 8 months before I finally had work again. I started working in Singapore in March and bought myself a F800GS. I have enjoyed this bike a lot, and I’m hoping they will open the borders in southeast Asia so I can do a bit of exploring here before selling it. Cant wait to do more adventures.
    TaMPerer, Smidty, MrBob and 2 others like this.
  3. motomrider

motomrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for a great ride report! Thinking of going to Nordkapp myself and this seems like a great route to take :)
  4. JohnnyTh

JohnnyTh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanx. In all modesty i think this is close to the ultimate route of Norway. It will take you close to all the major landmarks.
  5. Tsin

Tsin Adventurer

Oddometer: