Norway September 2019

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Tricky-UK, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Tricky-UK

Tricky-UK Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:

I do have a FujiFilm X100F which I've had for a couple of years now...

[​IMG]

but to tell you the honest truth most of the photo's taken on this trip where with my iPhone 6s and tweaked slightly with Snapseed... sorry. :uhoh

I love the X100 but nothing beats the convenience of just taking a phone out of your pocket when you spot a good photo opportunity as you're riding along. :ricky

These two photo's were taken with the X100 on my last trip to Norway in 2017 when in the Lofoten Islands and are among my favourites. :beer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Road King Special comes as standard without a screen and I just love the basic looks. A screen would certainly have made the longer days getting there and riding back easier and more comfortable but I managed just fine without one. :-)
  2. Tricky-UK

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

After much faffing about (on my behalf) I manged to locate my hostel digs for the night. The hostel was located in a small woodland at the back of the owners main property. Time for some gnarley on the Harley then. :lol3

[​IMG]

My little palace for the night.

[​IMG]

The rooms normally sleep four but I was the only guest staying in the whole residence that evening so had the complete place to myself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I settled in for the night with a few beers and the greatest hits of 1995... perfect!

Uvdal is very small but has two interesting Churches. The next morning I went have a look at both of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love the Viking style figureheads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The smaller Stave Church was originally first constructed around 1168.

[​IMG]

Nice bit of improvisation. :clap
    MrKiwi, staticPort and MaddBrit like this.
  3. Tricky-UK

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I crossed into the Telemark region with no particular destination in mind. The winding road spiralled upwards into a twisty mountain pass and opened up onto a wild and windy plateau.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As well as embarking on this 4000 mile road trip on a naked bike I'd also decided to wear my open face Bell Classic helmet with a flimsy press on stud visor. At the end of the first day in Germany I'd noticed one of the fixings had broken and the visor was being held on with the remaining two studs.

The fierce cross winds on this plateau had the visor under serious strain and I had a vision of it flying off at any moment into the tundra but my surroundings were so wild and so beautiful I just didn't care.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting back to lower levels I was able to check the visor fixings further and managed some temporary first aid using my penknife.

[​IMG]

As you are probably aware speeding in Norway is frowned upon and the speed limits are generally set quite low with severe on the spot fines if caught by the traffic cops.

This poor specimen has surely fallen on hard times or a had a poor success rate and judging by her appearance hasn't even been able to afford to feed herself for a while... :(

[​IMG]

I told her not to worry as the grim reaper will probably be along to sort her out quite shortly. :grim

[​IMG]

Our audience obviously agreed with my diagnosis by the look of their long faces. :thumb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to get a move on again. I booked a room in a Hotel in Larvik for the night and headed south.

[​IMG]

Arriving exactly at sunset.
    Odd Arne, MrKiwi, staticPort and 4 others like this.
  4. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report, I rode Norway last summer, I’m really enjoying seeing your pictures, such a beautiful place!
  5. Ironchef

Ironchef Warren

Oddometer:
    Great report, thanks for posting :)
  6. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Simply outstanding! :clap
  7. Eastbay Dirtbag

Eastbay Dirtbag one track mind

Oddometer:
    Thank you. Gorgeous scenery! Fabulous photos. Love the bits of humor. Its interesting to see the food too.
  8. Tricky-UK

Oddometer:
    Some pics of the last few days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    MrKiwi and staticPort like this.
  9. Tricky-UK

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking. :beer

[​IMG]
    MrKiwi and staticPort like this.
  10. MaddBrit

MaddBrit Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer:
    :clap

fantastic!

You're not helping with my RK lust though.....
  11. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brilliant report!! Sod roofs! I can just hear my girlfriend now if we had one of those: "get your butt out there and mow the roof already!" At which point it would become a sodding roof! :D Seems like you picked the perfect time of year for your ride. No mossies or midges? Your writing style really keeps one reading. Well done! Oh, and lovely photos as well. No apologies for using an iPhone. I recently submitted 5 photos to a juried exhibition. 3 were shot on a iPhone 5s and 2 were from a Sony A7R Mk2. The jury chose 2. Both were from the iPhone. Thanks again for sharing your journey with us and for the time and effort it took to do that.