Norway. Solo trip with a Drone. Versys 650

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Eugene A, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Eugene A

Eugene A Adventurer

Oddometer:
    At the end of May i took a trip across Scandinavia to experience northern nature waking up. Needless to say it was a contrast filled journey when you basically have all possible weather conditions in a single day in one of the most beautiful places on our planet.
    So i made a video about it, hoping to convey these sensations to the viewer.

2. Earache

Earache Hola!

Oddometer:
    Great video! Nicely edited, too.
    Drone shots are so cool, need to get one.
  3. WesF

WesF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have one for sale.....l flew it once>>>>>into a tree!!!

Eugene, fantastic video & maybe the best one l've seen in relationship to motorcycling in Scandinavia!!!
  4. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    That is EXCELLENT.

Looks like a great trip - weather notwithstanding.

Did you have a partner managing the drone, or were you able to program it to do that stuff while riding?
    Eugene A likes this.
  5. Eugene A

Eugene A Adventurer

Oddometer:
    nah i was on my own, and i am still learning how to properly control this thing, so flying + riding (like Alex Chacon does) was not an option. Basicaly i rode to a spot, unfolded the drone and shot some videos, preferably with some motorcyclists in the frame. But actually it was challenging to find at least one, because there were few bikers riding through Norway at that time of the year :lol2
  6. Earache

Earache Hola!

Oddometer:
    That's about as far as I would get with it as well.
  7. Eugene A

Eugene A Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, your main problem flying the drone will be local rules, wich tend to become very strict. In recent years many countries went bonkers on drones, introducing lots of requirements you must fulfill to be able to legally fly in the area even on a tiny toy drone. Some of them just bannned drones completely. Norway is currently one of the more relaxed countries but i think that won't last long.
  8. motomrider

motomrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is some great footage! Makes me want to get a drone too, and go for a ride :D
  9. Eugene A

Eugene A Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yeah, drones and adventure motorcycles pair well :clap
  10. KryzHatch

KryzHatch Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Should the future buyer take his own ladder !
  11. WesF

WesF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh no, l got it down, no damage, it's just that l'm not synchronized for such magictrickery as drones!.....$70 & it does have a built in camera, u pay postage!
  12. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great video, I’m riding Norway right now.
  13. nikvuksa

nikvuksa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great! Good job with video and great journey! Hopefully one day will go to Norway. It's one of my "riding wishes"!
  14. Seth S

Seth S Will _____ for _____

Oddometer:
    Have you contacted them to show them your new tourism video? Seems the countries you visited owe you some money for the interest you just generated.

Questions:

1. Did you rent the bike?
    2. What drone are you using: I see from the Youtube comments its a DJI Spark
    3. What jacket are you wearing.
    4. Were you running heated gear? looked like the kind of weather that would make heated gear a must.
  15. Eugene A

Eugene A Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1. No, it's my bike. Trip took 2 and a half weeks and ~8000km
    3. It's Oxford Montreal 3.0. Pretty good jacket specifically for that weather. Nice pockets, has waterproof layer and lots of adjustments. Unfortunately waterproof layer is not detachable, that makes this jacket sub-par in a hot weather. if you live in US you can get 2.0 version with detachable waterproof liner, should work a lot better in summer.
    4. Only heated grips. I had good merino and fleece underlayers and the jacket itself was warm, so riding in snow was tolerable. In the coldest moments i used insulated hiking pants (that i also used for walking around) and rain pants on top, instead of motorcycle jeans. Jeans are not the best option in cold weather :photogbut that's what i had
    Allagash likes this.
  16. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Well done. Fun to see the occasional silver Versys 650.... as we did not get them imported here.
    Everyone should look up your other video work too, it's all great.
  17. DilanYah

DilanYah Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When it comes to Norway, there are plenty of places where you can be completely alone and enjoy flying your drone and get some unique footage. Flying drones at the most crowded locations is just inconsiderate. I had a ‘smart’ drone battery quit on me and the drone fell out of the sky, so the risk to people is real and regulations should be followed. More info you can find on travel forums.