Norwegian fjords trip 2018

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by cesco92, Nov 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. cesco92

cesco92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This summer me, my father and a friend decided to spend our holiday in ours first long trip riding North.
    I know that a two weeks holiday isn't properly an adventure, but our works don't let us to have more days.
    So we decided to ride North covering ad fast as possible the distance between Verona (Italy) and Hirtshals ( Denmark), for my father and his friend this wasn't their first moto trip.
    By my side i hadn't ride my TA700 more than 400 km, and i was pretty worried about all those things which exist only in my mind.

We planned to reach Hirstals in three days, at first we stop in Munich just in time to eat a Burger and drink the first beer watching a match of the football world cup ( italian team players were on holiday too).
    1.jpg
    The next day will be spent all onto the german autobahn; from Munich to Bad Fallingbostel i discover an unexpected Germany.
    I don't know why, but i imagine that Germany was an huge industrial area from the alps to the sea, instead near the road it was all a pine forests and small villages.
    2.jpg 3.jpg
    When we go beyond the danish border i realized that we were now in the real north, of course the weather was heavy raining, and a crazy wind gone with us till to Hirtshals.
    In Hirstshals we spent the night in a automatized B&B near the Nordsoen Oceanarium, a very cool place in which all the customer will take the ferry to Norway the next day.
    5.jpg
    Odd Arne, BillUA, bobw and 2 others like this.
  2. cesco92

cesco92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_20180617_215406_977.jpg

Early in the summer we booked our tickets for the Fjordline ferry, in fact there are a lot of bikes and people, we met 2 greeks guys and a group of english bikers all on big adventure bikes.
    On the ferry we come to know that this was the fastest passengers ship when it was built, it can cover the distance between Hirtshals and Kristiansand in about two hoursand a half.
    P_20180618_081104.jpg P_20180618_090952.jpg P_20180618_093903.jpg
    Just docked in Norway we taste what is summer here, we started our trip in this beautiful country under a torrential rain...and soon i'll understand how it's important to have a proper equipment... my rain coat totally wasn't.
    We planned to ride from Kristiansand to Stavanger driving in the inlands, for the first hour it was raining but when it finished a stunning landscape opens before our eyes.
    jcrider, Odd Arne, Saso and 4 others like this.
  3. cesco92

cesco92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is really impressive how in Norway every road is perfect and it seems that them are designed for bikes.
    In the inlands we drive around thousands of small lakes and tiny villages.
    All around was quiet, and the traffic almost absent, except for the big lorrys runnig up and down the mountains this is a little contrast with the great number of electric cars seen in the city from Denmark to here.
    P_20180618_154602.jpg
    Why there are a lot of Tesla, Nissan Leaf and other electric cars which i've ever seen?
    Have people a sort of public incentive or something? The gasoline cost is even cheaper than Italy.
    The ride till to Stavager was great and even if it's a small size town here it look like a big city; the city centre is cute and there is an old part of the city where houses are old and all made of wood. P_20180618_174205.jpg
    P_20180618_205902.jpg
    We reached the hostel where the entrance is located in a sort of indie bar, the view from our room was fantastic.
    The next day we met a group of italians bikers from a BMW owners club near Verona, the were making a trip very similar from our, they have sent the bike in a container to Stockholm and reached them by plane...really really expensive.
    P_20180618_210358.jpg
  4. cesco92

cesco92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How can i insert more than four photoes in the trhead?:becca
    In Stavanger there is a big cruise tourists traffic, in a day i've seen 4 four different big boats in the port.

P_20180619_064846.jpg
    TwilightZone and RedDogAlberta like this.
  5. ktompkins

ktompkins Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I traveled through Norway this past summer. I recognize some of the places in your video. Great job by the way! Norway is like nowhere I have been. It is beautiful! I see you encountered lots of rain. I was fortunate with the weather as I was expecting lots of rain but had mostly sunshine.
  6. cesco92

cesco92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much.:clap
    In the warmest summer in Scandinavia we bump into two weeks of heavy rain and great cold.

Locals told me that that is the real summer in Norway... but at the same time it was a little frustrating watching video of a friend swimming in Lofoten islands with 27°C only a week after our trip:2guns.
    Norway it's really a fantastic country, great natural places and roads.
  7. azscram900

azscram900 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great write up and photos. Now, I really want to go to Norway. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
  8. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome! I was in Norway this summer on a blue Translap, love the yellow. Yeah, I experienced the very warm weather, not what I expected!
  9. cesco92

cesco92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much, at the beginning i hesitate to write my own report, cause of my little english and a bit of scary to not have enough time to dedicate to.
  10. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No worries about your English! It is good enough! Much better than my Italian! Great report! Looking forward to the next chapter! Thanks for taking the time and energy to share your journey with us!!
  11. cesco92

cesco92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In the early morning was time to leave Stavanger, we began to know the Norwegian internal ferry system.
    The road litterally finish to the ferry port, the waiting time was about 30 minutes and the ferry comes from the other side of the Fjord, picking up people who were waiting.
    We took it very close to Stavanger, docking to the other side the track begin to run in a thick group of small islands or they seems, immediately the rain wasn't too heavy but after a couple of hours it will increase.
    IMG_20180619_183701_622.jpg P_20180619_094634.jpg
    Obviously the rain was associated to wind and cold, my waterproof suit wasn't so water proof, so after an hour i was completely wet, my father and Corrado didn't have this problem wearing a Tucano "really water proof" and resistant suit.
    Too much rain don't let me have more photos of this day.
    But there is a positive side of all this rain, the water accumulated on the mountain run down from the rocky walls of the fjords creating spectacular waterfalls everywhere.
    Stepping over the fjord it increases the creeks transforming them into rivers, all over were lakes,rivers and waterfalls.....it seems that all the houses and roads were floating on the water.
    After a day of "swimming" on the bikes we reached Bergen, the ancient Norvegian Capital city.
    P_20180619_114423.jpg IMG_20180619_183701_624.jpg
  12. cesco92

cesco92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In Bergen we know public parking too, in Italy bikes don't need to pay for parking, but here in Norway a bike is considered as a car.
    For that night we had to pay about 10-15€ for each bike.
    The city seems to be more touristic than Stavanger but this don't mean that is less real, also here there is an ancient city centre in which there are wooden houses and gift shops.
    IMG_20180619_213235_272.jpg
    P_20180619_193638.jpg
    Here i can feel to be in the real north, and the cold arctic wind.
    The main attraction here is the fish market, we just step inside when an italian guy shuot us to sit on his stand to taste whale meat.
    The fish market is deeply tourists oriented, for every stand there are a asian, latino and an european guy or girl...so they can cover the majority of the lenguages spoken from tourists coming from the cruise ships.
    P_20180619_194302.jpg

Attached Files:

13. cesco92

cesco92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Our new friend explain us that he works here in the summer, cause the real owners are locals, in the winter he return to his family home in Sicily working on ships there.
    At first i don't so sure if eat whale meat was legal.
    He said me that these whales weren't under extinction risk, and also Norwegian people can fish them only in a strict number....true or not? On internet this seems real, anyone know something more?
    IMG_20180619_213235_277.jpg
    P_20180619_194410.jpg
    P_20180619_194905.jpg
    In the fish market there are a lot of lobsters, mussels and other thousands species of fish.
    P_20180619_204435.jpg
  14. cesco92

cesco92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've always have problems uploading photos...no more than 4 photos for post.

At 11 pm the sun is still high, it's time to sleep....the next day will be great.
    P_20180619_204138.jpg P_20180619_211209.jpg P_20180619_214501_1.jpg

Attached Files:

15. Mr B

Mr B Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Eccezionale!!!
    Trascorso del tempo a Bergen (running out of Italian here ) about two years ago. your pictures are great. We also ate lunch at the fish market. The entire time I was there I kept thinking I wish I had my bike!!!!
    Grazie per la condivisione!!!
    Travel Safe!!
  16. cesco92

cesco92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey, Bergen is a really nice place to live, but winter could be too hard.
    I don't know if i could resist to that few hours of sun.
    The fish market is a little tourist trap, but in Norway is hard to find a place serving typical food.
  17. zavi

zavi tra curve e tornanti

Oddometer:
    Ciao, I think that you make the "mistake" to attach the file directily in the post, instead you have to upload them to an online host service and then link the address with the appropriate tag.

Ciao,
    Credo che il problema sia che tu fai "l'errore" di caricare le foto direttamente nel post, invece dovresti caricarle su un servizio di hosting online e poi linkare l'indirizzo con i tag appositi.
    Complimenti per il giro comunque!
  18. cesco92

cesco92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    THE PERFECT DAY
    After had our bikes back from the parking, loaded up all the luggages and of course worn the waterproof suite we were ready to leave Bergen.
    This will be one of the best day in our trip, not only for the sun shining all day but for the panorama that was what we expected from Norway since we started.
    32DBF6FC4648AEC74E2501A86F26812D.jpg
    The road run fast inside mountains, tunnels here have all an own name and are very long and well made, you can ride in a tunnel that finish to a ferry port or you can leave the ferry but the road immediately go deep inside the mountain.
    Road, bridges, tunnels, ferryis and all the infrastrucure in Norway are simply perfect, the are more lorry than cars but i haven't seen a pothole in 10 days....civil engineer here knows what they do. P_20180620_114326.jpg P_20180620_115839.jpg P_20180620_125349.jpg
  19. cesco92

cesco92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We ride across a great number of fjords, so much that i don't remember all names, so we arrive to the Laerdal Tunnel ( the longest tunnel in the world) it was reeeeally long and inside there were sci-fi blu-green lights which light up sections of the tunnel.
    This was nice, but the tunnel before ( don't remember the name ), has a huge roundabout caved hundreds meters inside the mountain ( you can see that in the video), really impressive.
    P_20180620_125713.jpg P_20180620_143307.jpg P_20180620_162231.jpg P_20180620_162306.jpg
    Muscongus and norseXL like this.
  20. cesco92

cesco92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After a lunch stop, a beer and a hot dog, we restart riding along the fjord the road start early to go up and up, so we arrived in a mountain pass not so high but high enough to have a dive in the snow.
    Go down from this mountain was even better, the snow melting along the road create little rivers and waterfalls all around, the view from the top was glorious we were looking to Geiranger fjord...wonderful.
    P_20180620_162334.jpg
    P_20180620_164636.jpg
    The past day we booked a small cabin a sort of farmhouse built on a side of the fjord, the cabin was a typical house with moss on the roof, the proper name is hytta.
    The farmhouse has an expensive but really good restaurant, the view from there was unique.
    P_20180620_192510.jpg

P_20180620_193510.jpg
    TwilightZone likes this.