Nostalgia

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Alcan Rider, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually, I do sort of remember a place like that. Just East of Blueberry, quite a ways off the road, lots of spruce trees? It’s hard to say, there were several houses in there that are long gone. :cry
  2. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    well Iam a newbe compared to some of you but in 71 when I moved here with my parents we were in Muldoon it was hardly even part of Anchorage northern lights blvd stop at Baxter. we had the best sledding hill from Muldoon down the pole line (now northern lights) all the way to Patterson thats about a half mile. On the other side the Muldoon there were no house's at all we would spend days hiking,hunting and fishing back there and snowmachining all winter back when it was legal to do that in Anchorage.
  3. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    Hell Friar, we played in the same woods, just a few years apart, lived in Rangeview Trailer park from 68 thru 71, rode bikes and fished Chester Creek on the east side of Muldoon, and snowmachined the tank trails out behind the Bilikin Drive-In... Fun times...
  4. friar mike

Oddometer:
    so did you also watch the X rated shows on the hill behind the drive-in on your snowmachine as we did :evilno sound but who needed it.:rofl:eek1:drif
  5. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    Actually I thought about that as I was sending the last reply... I was always with my folks, and about the worst I saw was part of the French Connection w/ Gene Hackman... Too young and to long ago to remember much, but my Mom was always concerned that I had seen to much... Now its on 3 or 4 channels most nights on Cable TV whether you want it or not...:wink:
  6. friar mike

Oddometer:
    Oh so you miss the ones with Molly MOUNDS :eek1:tb:lurk:augie:knary and young boys in winter sitting on snowmachines about all you could do is watch :lol3. till you got home.
  7. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    Tom... how about the shoe store (Kennys?) on the west side of Spenard road, just south of Fireweed... they had an xray machine to see how the feet fit in the shoes. :eek1
  8. Tom S

Oddometer:
    Funny you should mention that. Yes, I remember it well. Not 100% sure if X-ray machine really was in the entryway, but it was up front.
    I wrote this, with pix, just recently for something else.
    [​IMG]

I preceded the above with this.....
    [​IMG]

Do remember Parker’s Department store @ the S/E corner of Fireweed & Spenard?
  9. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:

I remember driving near the intersection of Fireweed and Gamble years ago with my folks when up on the giant screen popped a thirty foot rack. Nobody in the Olds Cutlass Supreme said a thing but there was zero chance that I was the only one in the car that noticed.

Never did skulk into the old Billiken where the fence was cut in the back and a 4x4 would fit in fine without scratching the sides if you were careful. You guys are nasty. I was probably studying the 29th Psalm or maybe washing my mouth out with soap just to see if I could get ahead of the curve.
  10. friar mike

Oddometer:
    That would be the Sundowner Legion. There is no amount of soap that would get you in front of the curve legion.:lol3 can you actually touch a bible without catching fire.:kboom
  11. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    I let go before it gets too hot & the Stephen King stuff starts flying around the room. :1drink

Thinking back in the context of this thread I remember when Palmer had more that one flat roofed foundation with a staircase. I remember the old grocery store near NLB and Minnesota that was sort of like a Costco throwback. They wanted to sell in bulk and the like. Can't recall the store name but the guy that owned it was named Orville or Wilbur... something like that.
  12. friar mike

Oddometer:
    I don't know about that one but remember the one across from the university center? it was called pioneer foods or something like that? I think that was the first bulk food store in Anchorage.
  13. jathkajoe

jathkajoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Friar: I think it was Prairie Market.

I recall clearly the X-RAY machine in the shoe store on Spenard Rd. It was about the only place I could buy shoes that fit my messed up feet. That store used to sell only a left or right shoe to those who needed such. He'd even split a pair if you needed a left two sizes bigger than the right.

Wentworths? I recall a Cynthia Wentworth in school at WAHS. Never knew where she lived.

We lived in Sand Lake area from 1960 on, before the paved and changed a whole bunch of street and road names. Like the guys who grew up in the Muldoon area, Sand Lake was a good place for a kid at that time. Woods, lakes, freedom to roam and mess around all kinds of ways that are probably illegal now. It was a good place to be.

Joe
  14. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    IIRC that was a big potato patch back there years ago. I used to have a paper route that went from four corners to Timothy back when Minnesota stopped and most of the area it would eventually go through was swamp. Sunday was not a pleasant day but I did get to know where all the insane dogs were. That seemed important at the time. Odd how in those days nobody thought much about letting their little Cujo out to roam wild when they could expect he'd damn sure bite somebody if he got the chance.
  15. friar mike

Oddometer:
    Prairie Market I think thats right. pioneer prairie I knew it was something like that. I haven't thought of some of this stuff in sometime.:gerg the grocery store we used mostly on Muldoon was Proctors it was down by where 10th and M sea foods is.
  16. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man... as soon as I read that name, a picture of Orville Proctor popped into my mind, just like I'd seen him yesterday. But... I think that's a sign of growing old. :gerg 30, 40 years ago is no problem. But what I was doing 5 minutes ago?? :dunno
  17. Beezer

Oddometer:
    Sooooo Tom, Piggly Wiggly eh.

[​IMG]

the guy on the right is my dad... the the guy on the left is Don Stevenson who I think ran Piggly Wiggly in the 50s. My dad ran delivery truck for Matanuska Maid for a few years and got to know all the grocer guys. Then he went to work for..... Sears, before the mall... with.... Bill Sheffield.

the name John Watsjold came up a couple posts ago... I went to school with him too..
  18. Tom S

Oddometer:
    So he was hangin' out with this hottie? :evil

[​IMG]
  19. Beezer

Oddometer:
    or mebby this one:

[​IMG]
  20. Tom S

Oddometer:
    Mat Maid Look-A-Like contest?
    She gots a nice ride there. :D