Nostalgia

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Alcan Rider, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    It was some kind of Fur Rondy promotion in about 54/55. and yeah, I wanted it (the wheels).
  2. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Then maybe you should have worn a shorter outfit! :lol3
  3. Beezer

Oddometer:
    huh???? musta been gettin "late"?

OK... 2 more....

The old Totem theater when it was across the street from Center Bowl.

FA2-3434.... my phone number when the "Fairfax" exchange was just north of AK Leather
  4. AlaskaSolstice

AlaskaSolstice Alaskan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Denali Theatre (now Beartooth): the first movie I ever saw was there: It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World

our phone number: Broadway 8- 0055

hobby shop @ Minn/Spenard: where I bough all my matchbox cars (my dad worked upstairs in the APA offices)
    (then became Hewitts Pharmacy at some point, where I worked once, and now is Holiday Station)

current A- Street Hill : was a good sledding hill in the woods on the way home from school, using my metal lunchbox to slide on, boy did Mom get mad at that!
  5. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    John Watsjold? Yep knew him and Kathy too.
  6. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    Anyone have photos of the Ice Palace.
    A good friend of mine ran an XL250 on which he spent buckets of money in hopes of hanging with the Elsinores. Ya right...good luck with that.
    Who's got the intel on that place?
    I also remember a short roundyround behind the Wild Cherry near Klatt and the OSH.
    Fite
  7. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    You thinking about the old Kit Kat Club? The Wild Cherry was in a different spott, IIRC... and that track was VERY short. Paved though, which was a bonus.

As I recall those clubs were Robert Hansen / Butcher Baker hangouts.
  8. Beezer

Oddometer:
    Totem Theater became Totem grocery which became Bi Lo.... mebby with another name in between over time. somewhere along the way Hewetts Drug snuck in there. The store office used to be the ticket booth & had the glass cut out ticket window until the day they dozed it.

the real Hobby shop was on Spenard road and what is now Benson... owned by the Olsons, and later by their kids.

the real Denali Theater....

[​IMG]

was where I was going to watch a movie on March 27. they were closed, so we went to the 4th Avenue Theater instead
  9. Tom S

Oddometer:
    Beat me to it.
  10. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Man, what a GREAT thread! So many great memories! :D

I went to school with a Watchjold who was a year or 2 ahead of me.

I'd forgotten about he Olsens owning that hobby shop. Used to build a LOT of models!

The old Maico 400 below got me a couple trophies at The Ice Palace.

And our old ph number was FE3-1934 when Toklat St was Illiamna St.

Eastridge, where I live, off 20th and Lk Otis was an active gravel pit. Rode around in it after it closed. The area of Charter Hosp was great gravel pit too with a mound called Big Bear. Great riding too.

[​IMG]
  11. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    Copy that. I was probably drinking back then. :1drink:1drink:1drink
    Fite
  12. Tom S

Oddometer:
    The Hobby Lobby. Moved from 4th Ave. after the ‘64 quake.
    Owned & run by a real good guy named Tom Vitt. He used to have model car contests @ the 4th Ave location. Our little customized AMC model cars displayed in the big front window. He treated us teen kids with respect. Real good guy, died way too young.

Couldn’t miss that crescent shaped sign.

[​IMG]

I felt real bad for him when the quake wiped him out.

[​IMG]

“Open soon in new location – S&F Foodland”.

[​IMG]

:thumb Yup, was going in there when I was still quite a young kid living on Fireweed.
  13. Tom S

Oddometer:
    I’m sorta – kinda thinkin’ your phone # was 57112 in 1959 if you lived on a street whose name starts with an ‘H’ & was listed under Xxxxxxxx, A C. Sound right?

[​IMG]

And your family name isn’t even listed in 1959.
    Area of Charter Hosp was a gravel pit? The big pit was on the South side of 15th Ave. / Debarr Rd., right behind the Airport Heights Elementary school. Spent a lot of time in all those pits & practically lived in that big pit & the sort of woods around it when we lived over there when I was 12 to 18.
    The big pit is where we used to ditch the cops. It was funny to sit on a hill & watch one come ripping down one of the ‘roads’ in there. We’d drop over the other side of the hill & pop up on another & it would start all over. Seldom lasted long before they gave up. :lol3
    There were trails connecting all the pits plus a separate trail across Chester creek to Goose lake.
    Great riding? Absolutely!
  14. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    ya the cops tried catching this kid in his own neighborhood on a snowmachine my escape route across Chester creek would loose them :rofl sometimes there was open water.:eek1
  15. Beezer

Oddometer:
    yep Tom... you rite!

heres another:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

taken from the top of Van's Sporting goods in 1960... came up to check out the new State. know any of the Swanks?
  16. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    I did. Went to school w/ some of their kids... back when Gladys Wood Elem was a couple of portables out in the back lot of Sand Lake Elem.

Talking about the BiLo from years back, there was a bunch of open land to the north of the BiLo bldg on Sand Lake Road that we turned into a neighborhood mx track. Once a month or so a guy would show up on a Honda 750/4 with 3 girls in tow... each of whom rode a Honda SL70 or maybe a Honda Trail 70.. Gold ones as I recall. Never met the guy or the girls but I can recall as a kid wondering how exactly that could be. Obviously a mint tied up in the three girls bikes and his own... but you'd only see him a couple three times a summer.

Seemed like some kind of sacrilege to me.

Mark... the Steen 100 I ripped around on then is the same one (I think) that your buddy Trimble had after me. Looked like this one except blue plastic. I bought it from Barry. At the time I think his shop was called Barry's Custom Cycle and he worked out of a one room wooden garage out by the old auction house in Muldoon. He's come a ways since.

[​IMG]
  17. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    In '59 we were still living down on Annette Is. Check your 1960 ph book. :D

And Tom, you just described the location of Charter Hosp! :lol3 I used to ride a copper colored Yamaha DT250 back then.

Yep, good trails connecting Chester Cr and Goose Lk. I remember when they first paved 'em. I was riding my Maico 440 on the newly paved path nearing Goose Lk trying to idle by a family passing the other direction. The father tried kicking at me as he passed. Last time I rode on it.

I wonder how many times we all saw each other in passing? Hey Mike, where'd you live?

My dad had to run up to the Rexall Drug store on the corner of N Lights & Lk Otis after the big '64 quake to buy a little transistor radio as we had none.
  18. HouseofBeaver

HouseofBeaver Dont harsh my mellow

Oddometer:
    Reside in Anchorage, Live in Talkeetna (AK)
    Yep, the Wild Cherry was downtown. I was a Spenard Kid (the family still owns a place on Lois drive), so, at 15 year-old I walked to PJ's one summer afternoon. I saw my first boobs and bought my first Beer that day. I didn't want the beer but after I sat down I heard a guy yell "Hey, there's a two drink minimum", so I bought a beer.

In retrospect the afternoon girls at PJ's were not the headliners by any means; I'm pretty sure the first pair I saw belonged to a gal who had suffered a stroke. I don't remember minding though. :wink:
  19. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:

Weimer Street just behind four corners. I was after most of you guys though. First flew up w/ folks in '69 and then moved up in '70. Came up on Western Airlines... the only way to fly.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RfmRKHtzfFs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  20. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:

Used to work on Lois years back. Three tacos and a pitcher at PJ's for a five spot. I can remember seeing guys like JR Gratrix there for lunch and he never used a glass. Matter of fact... that place could be a lot of fun. I think it was Mae that was working there for decades. Her, Pillow, and a handful of others stayed in xlnt shape for a long time. Not all did though for sure. Remember Jim, their hugely wide bouncer that was too big to fit between tables? I still hear from him once in a while.

Not sure on the stroker though. How would a man recognize that, exactly? Considering that it was PJ's I'm guessing that there was a significant sag factor on one side and a total out of control sag factor on the other. I might have to ponder this for a moment. Inquiring minds don't mind.