1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Nostalgia

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Alcan Rider, Jan 8, 2012.

1. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    I never went into any of those places but Pillow and I are buds now. You can come into REI each Christmas and she'll wrap your presents for a donation to the Blood Bank. She'll even speak Klingon for you if you'd like. Look hard enough and you may be able to find the HBO special of her winning the Miss Nude World Title a few years back. Fun girl! :D

The coolest most impressive celebrity visit I remember (barely) is Little Joe Cartwright riding his spotted pony in the Fur Rendezvous parade.

Hey you guys, cool having the Seal of The Territory of Alaska on your Birth Certificate, eh? :wink:

Legion, you n00b, I was asking Friar Mike where HE lived since he was referring to my neighborhood. :lol3
  2. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    I remember going to that motorcycle shop (Barrys) on Muldoon Legion man that was a few years ago:gerg I also remember sit-in at the meat rack at PJ more then once:evil:eek1:freaky I lived just off of Ausgustine drive on Tobuk circle
  3. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:

Whaaa? Another Mike? Say it isn't so! :norton

I never went into any of those places either. I just heard about 'em from HOB, mostly.
  4. BARB

BARB Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought that exchange was called "Broadway"
  5. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    As long as HOB brought it up, "The Roller Skater" should drudge up some unpleasant memories...:lol3 there are still scars on my retina's from that experience...:huh
  6. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    there were at least 2 exchanges in Spenard... BR and FA... thats the only ones I remember at the moment, there may have been others. Barb... if you look out the front door of your shop the blue building behind the coffee stand is where the realys were that made the phone connections. I toured it in grade school.... every connection was made with a relay & they were clicking like a drum solo. My dad had a friend that bought all the equipment when the system was changed in the late 60's... he took it all out to Bethel (I think) and set up a phone company. His name was Dick Riner (sp).

one more:
    The Sportsmans Trap Club on the north shore of Sand Lake. Moved there from the north shore of Spenard Lake. Long gone, moved to Birchwood in the early 70's to be consumed by Isack Walton. My dad was big in the club. These pix are early/mid 60's. No sign left except a sign that says Sportsman Drive. There must still be tons of lead shot in the ground out there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. friar mike

Oddometer:
    I remember going down to the keni fishing (before it was combat fishing) and droping by portage to get glacier ice for the cooler now its illegal to even pick up a piece :huh from what the sighs around the lake say. I don't even go fishing down there anymore haven't for years now it sucks.:puke1
  8. Beezer

Oddometer:
    and yeah... I shot trap too but was never very good at it... one of the reasons I don't hear too well outta my right ear I think. It was all practice for the real deal...

[​IMG]

Duck season was always Sept 1... so I got off school :clap No, I didn't shoot all the ducks

flyin into the duck shack....

[​IMG]

on the far side of the Lil Su

[​IMG]

we still have the cabin
  9. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, <STRIKE>I’m new</STRIKE> they are new around here. I didn’t even know there was a horsepistol there.
    All I could think of was Regional, across the road.
    I’m pretty sure it was Bert’s Drug Store then. When I was in high school I worked for Bert’s out of the downtown store @ 4th & G street, N/W corner.
    I’d go in an hour before school & come back after school till 8-9 PM, whatever it was.

[​IMG]

Art Burstrum, ‘Bert’, had four stores in town. (And a couple good lookin’ daughters!) I was the stock boy & every day I loaded up a bunch of crap & delivered it to the other three stores. One @ the S/W corner of 5th & Gambell, the Northern Lights & Lake Otis store, & the one that’s was in the same building as that Piggly Wiggly store I posted earlier. That run always happened in the 5 o’clock traffic. Always a big traffic back up farther West up on Northern Lights
    At first it was some little tiny English made station wagon, later there was so much stuff that they got an early Econoline, like the one going down 4th Ave in the pic.
    That old Econoline got me thinkin’ that a van would be the perfect rig to haul a bike & camp in. I still have vans.
  10. Tom S

Oddometer:
    BiLo on Sand Lake Road? Were was that? Do you mean Jewell Lake Rd. just S/E of 4 corners? On Jewell Lake Rd. near Dimond?
    I really don’t remember where the BiLo was over there in any case.
    Reminded me of another story & being threated with a pistol. I’d loaded up my noisy little 2 stroke bike in the back of the Ranchero & went across town to a friends house. We were running the bike around in a sort of industrial area at night. Pissed & drunk dude shows up with the gun. :uhoh
    Years later a guy worked with that had formerly raced bikes here pretty successfully claimed it was his dad with the gun.

The white POS Ranchero & a different ride. :evil

[​IMG]
  11. Tom S

Oddometer:
    You & me. Who else is there?
  12. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    Tom,
    That Bi-Lo was just south of 4 Corners on the East side of Jewel Lake Rd. it is now Alaska National Insurance Co building... Just down the street on the same side was Jimmy Simpsons Arctic Cat Shop...
  13. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    Beez,

Got my ass reamed out for coming in the back side and collecting clay pigeons that hadn't broke. Apparently the old fogies who ran the joint were so wrapped up in safety, they forgot how much of a treasure me and my buddy had found. Geez, they're just little pellets...:huh
  14. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Yep. That's it.

The guy that ran the Arctic Cat shop would lend out an old beater Scorpion once in a while to a low buck kid, probably to get the me out of his shop. He also had a daughter that I thought was pretty sharp.
  15. friar mike

Oddometer:
    all our old photos my mom has right now she is making all photo albums form the family so I can scan and post right now.:bluduh
  16. Tom S

Oddometer:
    That’s what I was thinkin’. Now it hits me that I had this crappy warehouse job & delivered stuff to the back of a store there in 1970. Totally spaced that out. Couldn’t have told anyone the name of the store though.

The motorcycle shop on Muldoon was mentioned. East side of Muldoon & just south of Debarr. I remember going in there a few times. I’m thinking that it was primarily a HD shop & maybe owned by the same people that first had a HD shop in eagle river. Not too sure about the owners though, might be way off on that. Pretty sure that the E.R. shop was the 1st HD shop in these parts. We used to call it the “Eagle River Hog Ranch”. My dad thought that was funny because there had once been a big hog farm out there.

She still around? :evil
  17. Tom S

Oddometer:
    Anybody remember when the Russians attacked & made everybody line up on 4th Ave?

[​IMG]

Me neither. :hide

I do have a really poor home movie that my Grandmother must have took. About 8 US Army tanks running down Fireweed lane. Late 1940s, early 50s.
  18. Tom S

Oddometer:
    That pic of the ‘57 Ranchero above was taken @ Knik River when we were on our way back from the drag races in Palmer.
    You probably won’t see many legally organized drags that look like this anymore. In the area of one of the ‘Springer’ roads. September 1963.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clarence LeMays 1930/’31 Ford coupe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    I was about to ask about that shop too 'cept for some reason I thought it was a Suzuki shop.

Anybody in Prov Hosp in '72-'73 I may have delivered your food to the floor you were on. I was a long haired HS kid working in the kitchen. Fun! And I LOVED delivering the food carts and picking them up later because I got to visit the nurses. :wink: I was one of the first guys Rep Harry Crawford's wife Gwenn met up here. I think I remember giving her rides home in my '68 Camaro. No, no hanky panky or messing around. She prolly thought she was too old for me or sumthin and I was/am always a "perfect gentleman." :rolleyes Then I met Harry in Valdez on the Pipeline. He was an Iron Worker and I an Apprentice Operator in '75.

Again, good thread! Fun stuff! Mark H.
  20. Beezer

Oddometer:
    Tom... the pic of 4th ave in post 109 shows Van's Sporting Goods... Vans was owned by my best friend's dad... it had a shooting range in the basement. Vans is where the Ike pix were shot, and your pic of the tanks in the street with the "All American Town" banner must have been around the same time... 1960. that banner was up for a while... you can just see it in this pic.

[​IMG]