Nostalgia

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Alcan Rider, Jan 8, 2012.

1. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    Are you talking about the Suzuki shop when it was on Muldoon road? I went to that shop alot getting parts for my bike. I did spend some time in Prov after a motorcycle wreck (Broken leg) but that was in 1979 I think.
  2. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    The tank pic was labeled 1958. Yeah, that banner must have been up for a very long time. Was still up in the summer of 1964!

http://vilda.alaska.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/cdmg2&CISOPTR=1210&REC=25

[​IMG]

Longer than I thought!
    “Anchorage has been named All-America City four times, in 1956, 1965, 1984/1985 and 2002”

Those Ike pix are pretty cool, wish they were sharper. I remember the “I Like Ike” campaign buttons, posters, etc from 1951-‘52
    http://www.google.com/search?q=I+Li...w.,cf.osb&fp=3646257f28057cbb&biw=819&bih=426
  3. Tom S

Oddometer:
    Are my pix too big?
  4. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nope. For the people contributing to this thread :gerg, large pictures and large print are both appreciated. :lol3
  5. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    IMO a wee tiny bit but not too bad.

Hey Tom S, I'm still hoping to go for a ride in your chopped hot rod. I never been in one.
  6. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    does this make my pic look big????

one more....

[​IMG]

Portage in the early 70's when it still had ice

and ps... I have the slides if you like Ike... my scanner is crap.
    and the A/A City sign in post 122 is the big metal one.... the one in the Ike pic is a cloth banner
  7. The Butcher

The Butcher Tiger Man

Oddometer:
    Have really been enjoying this thread. I myself grew up in the Muldoon area. In my early years ('66 to '71) we lived near the big red church on north Muldoon (anyone remember the F&S store or Chucks Barbershop?). My family had been there since about '60. Prior to that they lived in Fairview on 13th and Gambell since the late '40s or early '50s. Anyhow in '71 we "moved on up" to south Muldoon and lived inside what is now the Tudor-Muldoon Bend. I have brothers that graduated from East High in '66, '69 and I think '71. I also have a sister and another brother that graduated from Bartlett in '75 and '79. I myself graduated from Bartlett in '84. I now live in a Log cabin off of Fireweed. So alot of this has hit close to home. (pun intended)
  8. Tom S

Oddometer:
    Would you make your font a little bigger? I kin hardly see it! [​IMG]
    Dammit, Jack I almost wish you hadn’t started this thread. One reason is that I could go on & on about this old stuff. Another is that it seems like all I’ve been doing lately is diggin’ thru old pix.
    Was tryin’ to help somebody with a little project that needed old pix & at the same time I started getting box after box of my dad’s old pix & documents that my brother was holdin’. There was a whole group pix Dad took on St. Paul island when he was sent there during WWII after we got invaded. His outfit got sent straight to there from where they were training in the desert.
    Did you guys know that the GIs from Alaska didn’t get overseas pay out there because they were in their home Territory? WTF?
  9. Tom S

Oddometer:
    Beezer, I’m sure you know that the ice in your Portage pic had already receded quite a bit from how it once was. Used to come right up to the shore at the parking lot & we could walk out on it

Speaking of Portage, Didn’t any of you guys go riding on the mud flats down there on the ‘70s. I’ve ask several people & brought it up here, found no one else that did. There was even a bike track there for a couple years. Later we used to load up the bikes & go fairly often. Loved it! Like riding on modeling clay, fantastic traction. Lou Mass & I went many times.

Just had to be careful of soft spots & because the surface was a grey-out & at high speed you could run right up on one of the channels, dry ones, before you knew it & if you couldn’t slow fast enough you might stuff yourself right into a vertical face on the other side. :lol3

One sort of odd winter a bunch of us went down there in January. Me, Lou Mass, Doug Gallant, 3-4 others. Crazy bastards decided they just had to cross one of the rivers. Was about 2-2-1/2’ feeet deep. It’s a wonder somebody didn’t get bogged down in some soft clay in the middle.
    That water was cold. Gee, who'd have guessed. :webers
    Wish I could find those pix.
  10. Beezer

Oddometer:
    and Gerry Mucha?
  11. Tom S

Oddometer:
    Gerry Mucha? Nope. Know the name & at least one friend, even talked to him on the phone once long ago, never met him.
  12. Beezer

Oddometer:
    he used to race in the mud down there among other places... may have even still been running 441s. we chumed around a bit & did some local rides... gas line, powerline, the Jewel Lake gravel pit, etc... hell, everything was a dual sport ride in those days, but he was too serious for me at times & has a wall full of trophies to prove it. Squeeks knows him well. He was also a Bultaco guy & got most of the inventory when The Bulto shop on O'Mally went under & was my source. We still trade bike parts & projects.
  13. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    Looking at all these old photos - especially the large assortment you have posted, Tom - has me wishing I'd taken more pictures around Anchorage when I first came up here. But just like today, most of mine were of scenes away from cities.

Yeah. When I joined it was after I'd driven down from Ketchikan to Michigan and signed up there. That worked to get me overseas pay stationed at Fort Rich. A whole $12/month. After two years, it paid for my gas to get back home, thanks to cheap gas back then. :lol3
  14. Tom S

Oddometer:
    CHEATER!
    :lol3
    Well, 12 bucks went a lot farther then. That would have meant a lot to my Dad, & many other poor boys like him.
    Dad’s family was very poor. That’s how they ended up in the Matanuska Valley Colonists of 1935. A dollar meant a lot to him.

Just think how much money you’d have had if you had stayed out of those bars on 4th Avenue! :evil
    :lol3
    Not like I had any money left over when I was in the service. :slurp
  15. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Keep going! This thread is connecting more than a few dots for a bunch of us, I'd imagine. Definitely for me.

Even little stuff, like the Punches Chevron reference soaped on the window of an old coupe brings back memories. In that case of the Punches' girls from the old 4 Corners neighborhood. Evie and Diane IIRC. Interesting to note that there was one other huge difference in Anchorage between now and then. Anchorage has about 300k people now and you can go all over town and not see anybody you know. In 1970 there were 100k people in town and you couldn't go anywhere without running into several people you knew.

Made it tough if you were doing something that required you to keep a low profile but that probably was a good thing, too.
  16. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    Soooo... You were infatuated with those Ice Clear eyes and her white Formula Firebird too huh? I can't believe we grew up as close as we did at the same time and didn't know each other... Lived at the corner of Holly & Raspberry when Raspberry was a mud hole... Holly was paved. Was in 3rd grade when we moved from the bastard step-children at Sand Lake Elem into the brand new Gladys Wood in October... Mears then Dimond graduating in '81... I was in Jr High when she was at Dimond, still get goose bumps when I think of those eyes, can't remember much about the rest of her, other than that she was very pretty, and had dark brown hair... but those eyes...:raabia
  17. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    Now you guys are really making me feel old. We were living on Raspberry just off Collins Way from late '69 to '72. My daughter went to Sand Lake Elementary, as Gladys Wood hadn't been built yet.

In November of '70 we were playing with a snowmachine and sled on Connors Lake, under the flightpath of runway 6R (now relabeled 7R), and had gone back to the house for a potty break for the girls. Just as we were ready to pull out of the driveway to go back to the lake, a large fireball lit up the sky. Looked like a tank farm might have gone up. Got back to the lake and could see that a large plane had crashed and was burning. It was a DC8 on a military charter. Amazingly, in view of the huge fire, out of 229 souls aboard there were only 47 fatalities.

In May of '72 we moved to Palmer, but got special dispensation for my daughter to finish out the year at Sand Lake. My wife was working as a secretary at Service-Hanshew (the two were combined at the then-brand new school). My brother and I were working on Northern Lights Blvd. We had to hit the intersection of the Glenn Hwy and Fish Hook Rd north of Palmer by 6:00 AM. First stop was Service-Hanshew to drop my wife off. Next stop was former neighbors on Raspberry Rd to drop my daughter off for school. Then on to work. When my wife got off work she got a ride to my job and picked up the little Pinto, then out to the old neighborhood to gather up our daughter. Then back to my shop to collect my brother and I. After that, fight the traffic along the two-lane through Eagle River, Chugiak, and Peters Creek out to Palmer. People who commute between the Valley and Anchorage today think they have it bad. :huh
  18. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:

I never really looked at her as closely as apparently you did. :lol3 ...and our time references were a little different. I was supposed to graduate from Dimond in '77 but by '76 had all the credits I needed to graduate and couldn't see what exactly I would be missing by not staying in high school for another year. I asked the office to print a sheepskin for me one day and walked out the door with it to close that chapter. Wasn't really feeling that I'd miss any social aspect of school so I never went back for the graduation ceremony, etc.

I had been working part time during HS at Asplund Janitorial Supply on Northwood & Spenard... and the lure of huge money was a strong pull. I had been an athletic kid (like all kids were pre-'net), shirtless and sweating wildly while unloading 40' trailers full of All Temperature Cheer in a cloud of chemical dust so thick that you didn't see details, just 50# bags of soap. The stuff was destined for the slope.

If you ever get the chance to do that, pass. Whatever they put in that stuff burns your skin when you sweat and if you get serious about it the dust from that stuff in your lungs will light you on fire from the inside out. Of course, if they offer you the same $2.10 per hour to do it that they offered me... grab at it! Really big money will always be hard to turn down. :thumb
  19. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    Anybody who was anybody knows that the evening paper, the Times was the way to go...:lol3
    Going back aways in this thread, Reuben Gaines drew political cartoons for the Times back in the day also, along with being on the Herb Shandelin Show... a true Renascence man. Herb, Reuben & Theda...
  20. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    If she was in the portables that were called Gladys Wood and were set on the property at the old Sand Lake School; I might know your daughter. Come to think of it though... I don't know your last name. I probably did at one time though if you used to get the morning paper in '71 or '72.

Edit:
    Actually, Alcan Rider, I think I do know your last name. Starts with a "G" as I recall and no, I don't recall any kids w/ that last name. Sorry.

And, yeah, Dapman. The start up rag was the one you could get the route for. The afternoon paperboy would have been the one w/ the snooty kid delivering it. I was the kid w/ the tired look and a squirt gun full of ammonia just in case your neighbor's dog was being a bad actor that morning. Douched many a dog in that era. Some didn't seem to notice. Much. All of them eventually got to know me as "the one" though.