Nostalgia

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Alcan Rider, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    And, yeah, Dapman. The start up rag was the one you could get the route for. The afternoon paperboy would have been the one w/ the snooty kid delivering it. I was the kid w/ the tired look and a squirt gun full of ammonia just in case your neighbor's dog was being a bad actor that morning. Douched many a dog in that era. Some didn't seem to notice. Much. All of them eventually got to know me as "the one" though.[/QUOTE]

Sooooo .... you're the clown who caused Shep to wander sightlessly out onto Jewel Lake traffic. Poor guy didn't stand a chance against that beer truck.
    He would have been 40 this April. :cry:cry:cry
    You really were "the one" .....ASSHAT!

:lol3:lol3:lol3
  2. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    Beezer we must have been on some of the same rides. Spent lots of Saturdays and Sundays riding the Pipeline to Indian. I remember 50 -60 bikes on a Sunday at the old gravel pit. A guy could get hurt out there with all the bike traffic. I lived on Patterson Street right after 36th (pre Maldoon Curve). Guys would unload bikes in my driveway and it was a short run up Patterson across Tudor and onto the powerline and then head to Indian or up onto the mountain. Anyone remember the old car way up on top of the peak? Doug Gallent had just moved his shop from his parents garage (Dirty Rider) to Terry Wolbert's shop where Sullivan Arena is now. How about the trials events on the North side of O'malley? Lots of bike stuff to do right in town. Loading up and heading out to Mat-Su to ride up to the Glacier was way out of town.
  3. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just thinking about you young kids in old time Anchorage....who remembers the Mother Moose Show. I have a where are they now story if anyone ever watched that.
  4. Kul Mom

Kul Mom aka sKul Marm Supporter

Oddometer:
    :y0!
    :y0!

I do! I do! I remember.

Do you remember the Monkey Wharf downtown? My brother used to be the bouncer. Yup, that little skinny kid in the picture above.
  5. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    I remember the Monkey Wharf.....Never had any reason to have any dealings with your brother the bouncer.

Ok the guy that played the Forest Fairy on the Mother Mooses show is that same guy from Chicago who came to D2D two years ago on a TransAlp and won the Biker games........Small world.
  6. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    yep... I remember the Wharf... only went there once or twice though. Thing I remember most was when one of the monkey was upset about something & started flinging poo at the glass.... kinda reminds me of some of my students.
  7. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    You guys might like this. Well worth the all too short read.
    Short history of Spenard
    Barb was doing some work for the Spenard Chamber of Commerce & wanted some Spenard history & photos.
    Check it out & if you have anything that you think is pertinent pass it to her.
    http://www.spenard.biz/history.htm
  8. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    and ya Mic... I remember Punches Chevron.... burnt to the ground in the 70s as I recall.

Here's another...... Sweum's Grocery, where Poncho's Villa is now. They were neighbors & I went to school with Patty. My mom worked the store in the mid 60s.
  9. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep remember that too. Raced MiniStocks there for a summer or two. Cars on Saturday and bikes on Sunday. As I remember the guy that was hired to run the place for ALCODA pocketed the money that was to go to pay insurance. Think his name was Dewey. Squeeks ran a winged sprint car Saturday and raced bikes the next day.
  10. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bill Punches used to run in a lot of the snowmachine races at Big Lake and other long distance venues. Always in Class IV Mod, as I recall. He and Wade Charles, Hal Cronquist, Swede Foote... The list goes on and on.

One of my customers is an old-timer from Fairbanks who used to work as an electronics engineer for one of the radio stations up there. Last service call to his place we were recalling some of the highlights of the two Midnight Sun 600 races that would have him out at one of the checkpoints, pinch-hitting as an announcer. That was some hard-core riding, back in the day.
  11. Tom S

Oddometer:
    A lot of the serious Hotrodders hung out at Punches Chevron. At one point at the other end of the block a sort of hot rod shop sprang up, N/W corner of Northern Lights & Gambell/Seward Hwy. I believe it was run by a guy named Bud ..something, & maybe in partnership with Clarence LeMay & or Jim & Orville Moore. Wish I could remember Bud’s last name, he built some damn fast cars, but I think he left here years & years ago. These guys all hung at Punches.
    Maybe 1963 or early ‘64 my family moved close to Punche’s Chevron into the then new subdivision just East of the Seward Hwy, between N-lites & Fireweed, West of Latouche street. Weren’t many houses in there then for quite some time. As late as maybe 1966 or ‘67, & home on leave, I sighted in a 22 rifle by shooting out of the garage & across the street towards the vacant lot.
    Every once in a while you could hear a drag race car revvin’ up at the station.

In any case at some point, don’t know when, I hear a screamin’ V8 engine but it’s coming from Fireweed just East of the highway. I had no later than looked out the upstairs kitchen window when I see red lights flashin’ & a rail job dragster. Clarence LeMay had run that rail right down East Fireweed & was immediately busted. I don’t think he got more than two blocks, if that. :lol3
    I gotta give it to Clarence for doing it though. :thumb
    I never did find out the outcome.
  12. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    Oh, so you were the idiot doing that shooting. :ddog

:lol3

From June of '65 to February '68 I lived just north of Fireweed on Ingra. From my backyard I could see the screen on the Drive-In and from inside the house I could hear the revving engines at the Chevron. Just down the street lived that small-time hood told about in Johnny's Girl.
  13. BARB

BARB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Me and Vic were the first customers at the Monkey Wharf the day it opened. I was 16 or 17 and no one asked for ID
  14. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    Kim Rich the author of the book worked for me at UAA when she was a student In the Journalism school. How about Alvin Alexander, his shop was just up the hill. I remember him showing up on Sand Lake to ice race his Pink Corvette during the North American Ice Racing Championships. ('bout 72 or 73)
  15. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    Earlier than that he had a beautiful green Vette. Being the owner of a body shop, he could afford to make them look really sharp - and/or noticeable, as with the pink one.
  16. The Butcher

The Butcher Tiger Man

Oddometer:
    Alexander got his start working for my father in the bodyshop on Elmendorf.

Alcan, what house did you live in on Ingra. I live in the log cabin just off Fireweed.

Tom S. you mentioned the name Lou Mass. Lou was a friend of my two oldest brothers.
  17. Tom S

Oddometer:
    Wayne & Gary? Answer my PM!
  18. Tom S

Oddometer:
    Hey, ‘Butcher’! :lol3
    Yup, read your previous post here again just to be sure. Now I know who you are. One of the letters in your first name is the same as one in mine, ain't it?
    I worked at CEA. Used to hang with Louie & both your your brothers & their wives, L & S. S being G’s ex wife. Same with Lou & his ex wife. We were all friends. I know at least two of your cousins, P & M. Went to school with M. Your mothers name, D------, dad, P------.
    In fact your grandfather, Chris, used to go hunting with mine back in the Matanuska Colony days. Both were Colonists. You still have an Uncle in Palmer, B.A.

Louie & I used to unload our bikes, his Yamaha, my Bultaco. at your parents house near the Muldoon-Tudor curve & go riding about the same places that Akrider talked about in post 142. Except we didn’t have to go up Patterson.
    (Yeah Ak, I remember the car, that was a good ride.)
    So, ‘Butcher’, did I get all that right? I think I did. I’ll bet you still don’t know who I am. :evil
  19. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:

Small world. I had a mtg with him today.
  20. Tom S

Oddometer:
    I talked about him with my ex-boss there today. :lol3
    Damn, he started there in 1972, several months after I did on Sept. 1, 1971.
    40 years! :eek1