Not Another 890 Adventure R Build...

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by TheGearDude, Apr 7, 2021.

?

To rally tower or not to rally tower?

1. F Yes put a rally tower on this thing!

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. H E double hockey sticks no!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TheGearDude

TheGearDude Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let me start by saying that I'm not selling anything; this project is not affiliated with Mosko Moto (my employer) in any way. I want to share my experience building out a 2021 890 Adventure R after doing the same with a 2019 790 Adventure R. I learned a lot about this platform the first time around and know that my 890 will be better for it.
    I have experience with 690 (X2), 1090, and 790 "builds" but make no claims of being an expert. I know a fair deal about the aforementioned KTM's based on countless mistakes and more than 50,000 miles in the saddle (on those bikes).
    I am happy to answer any questions along the way, or at least try to. I will also do my best to outline why I chose specific products for this bike, especially when they differ from what I used on my 790.

First off, here's my 790 and how I used it:
    _DSC7318.jpg
    _SHH4802.jpg
    _dsc2660-5.jpg
    _SHH3925.jpg
    I truly loved the 790 and thought it would be my "forever bike," but the 890 proved to be too tempting. I put 12,000 miles on it and enjoyed every last one of them. Here's hoping that I fall for the 890 in the same way...
    WB11, kzeb, KojiKP and 8 others like this.
  2. TheGearDude

Oddometer:
    Here is the 890 Adventure R in question. Bone stock, with a whopping two miles on the clock (when this picture was taken).
    The first thing I noticed while on my inaugural ride was that the dealership did not unlock the quick-shifter as requested. They "unlocked" rally mode instead of the rally pack, which includes rally mode, cruise, quick shift, etc. Anyway, I don't know why you would ride one of these without quick shift enabled because it's a fantastic feature and works flawlessly (in my experience).
    The other thing that jumped out to me was first gear "chugging." If you have spent much time on a 790, you know that first gear feels a bit like a hair-trigger. I was incredibly pleased to find that the 890 could actually tractor along a little at low speeds. Looking forward to testing this out off-road very much.
    It's always tough going from a completely dialed bike that feels like a well-worn glove to a crackerjack stock model (first-world problems). I will start to rectify that feeling immediately by addressing the ergonomics.

_SHH5309.jpg
    cwk, Crazysheep and Kthursto like this.
  3. catfishhands

catfishhands Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to seeing the build! I too purchased the "Rally Pack" thinking it was rally mode, QS, and cruise control. I was pissed thinking they screwed me, but according to the KTM website
    Rally Pack = Rally mode.
    Tech Pack = All 3
    TheGearDude likes this.
  4. Kthursto

Kthursto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have 48 miles on mine and have just started back riding after a 25 year hiatus. I did get the tech pack, everybody raved about the quick shift. I thought it didn’t make any sense. But on my first ride definitely fell in love with it.
    TheGearDude likes this.
  5. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    (note: I am too poor and merely own a 19 790) Quick shift was a game changer for me. Adding the Rade Garage Sharon exhaust, wide open throttle, banging through the gears I hear brraaaaaappppp, pop!, braaaaaapppppp...it makes me giggle every time.
    Kthursto, TheGearDude and braaap! like this.
  6. Electorn

Electorn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will be watching the this thread with interest, I have the 890 R on order, my 790 R will be traded against it.

One thing I am not doing decating it. My 790 runs much better with the cat and stock can (I had arrow can and decat fitted but it killed the punch of the engine on my particular bike).
    Kthursto and TheGearDude like this.
  7. TheGearDude

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I had come to an agreement with the dealership that they would include all of the unlocks, so I assumed when only Rally Mode was unlocked that they made that mistake. Regardless, it's annoying.
    comradecasey likes this.
  8. comradecasey

comradecasey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is nothing more annoying than a KTM dealership.
    Dan D., flamingm0e and TheGearDude like this.
  9. catfishhands

catfishhands Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes yes, I totally agree! I came to a similar agreement. In fact the dealer explained how to toggle the modes and activate the cruise control etc before I took off.
    TheGearDude likes this.
  10. TheGearDude

Oddometer:
    Did you run a Power Commander after removing the catalytic converter and adding aftermarket exhaust?
    I used the PCV with a custom map after removing the cat and adding an Akropovik can; it ripped! (and sounded like a trophy truck)
  11. TheGearDude

Oddometer:
    They are the absolute worst, any dealer really.
    comradecasey likes this.
  12. TheGearDude

Oddometer:
    Sounds like your dealership was actually knowledgeable! The shop I chose this time around only picked up KTM two years ago and they seemed to be a little short of clueless. I don't need much from a dealership, I do all of my own services, but I was entirely unimpressed with this one.
  13. TheGearDude

Oddometer:
    First things first... Swapped the WP Pro rear shock from my 790 to the new 890.
    It was a good opportunity to ride the two different shocks back to back for comparison purposes. For anyone wondering, the Pro component feels more refined, but I really lack the pallet to truly describe the difference. I ended up with this shock because the WP Xplor (OEM) one on my 790 failed just before a trip, and it was either upgrade or miss out, so I upgraded.
    I noticed after getting the shock installed that it is making a distinct "hissing" noise when compressed quickly. This is annoying, especially considering it only has about 6,000 miles on it! I guess I will plan to send it off to a suspension shop before my riding season really gets going.
    For the forks, I haven't made up my mind yet. I don't want to bite the bullet and spend $3,200 on the WP Pro (cone valve) forks; I know that. I will probably end up having the WP Xplor (OEM) forks valved and sprung for my weight and call it good. That was the route I went with my 790, and the results were satisfactory, not as plush as the cone valve Pro's, but what do you expect?

_SHH5381.jpg
    _SHH5386.jpg
    DCGH and comradecasey like this.
  14. O2TheL

O2TheL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love the thread OP. Thanks.
    I'm a long time Enduro-Multistrada guy, so stepping down in size in interesting for me. I'm only 4 weeks into my KTM 890R and have made a few logical (to me) changes.....hope you don't mind others chiming in.
    But definitely interested to follow your experience here.
    I did pegs and clutch resistance as obvious changes. Then bringing more room with a tower.
    I'm particularly interested in your ego mods.
    IMG_6103.JPG
    IMG_6107.JPG
    TheGearDude likes this.
  15. TheGearDude

Oddometer:
    Don't mind others chiming in at all! Congratulations on the new bike and drinking of the orange Kool-Aid.
  16. TheGearDude

Oddometer:
    Next up were a few items from Camel ADV:

The 1 Finger Clutch. This is an ingenious little extended clutch actuator arm that increases your friction zone and makes the lever pull much softer. I paired this with a Rekluse Torq Drive clutch pack on my 790 and the results were delightful. The Rekluse pack had more friction discs and different springs, so that made for an even lighter pull at the lever. I don't know if I will go the Rekluse route on this bike, but for now, the Camel clutch arm will do just fine.
    If you could only do one upgrade to your 790/890 this should be it. Seriously, makes that much of a difference.
    _SHH5398.jpg

And the passionately contested Shock Heat Shield.
    Does the catalytic converter produce a lot of heat? Yes.
    Does any rear shock perform better at lower temperatures? Yes.
    And if it doesn't make any difference at least it looks cool and conceals the ugly cat until I yank that sucker out.
    _SHH5404.jpg

I have a few more Camel products waiting in the wings, including their Gut Guard skid plate, Neck Brace, and Adventure Traction footpegs. I will post pictures of those as I get them installed. These are all redundant parts that I used on my 790. Cory, the owner of Camel ADV is a friend of mine and I think he makes killer products. (He's also a hell of a good rider!)

DSC01474-2.jpg
    DSC01619.jpg

Attached Files:

Dan Lorenze and O2TheL like this.
  17. catfishhands

catfishhands Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure WP announced a cone valve "drop in" cartridge recently that would fit our line of forks. Have you checked into this ?
    TheGearDude likes this.
  18. O2TheL

O2TheL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I totally agree on the Camel 1 finger clutch mod. Unbelievable!
    To the point where I was annoyed with the clutch pull pressure when riding my Ducati Diavel yesterday
    TheGearDude likes this.
  19. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't heard of anything from WP, but there are some products from both Konflict and Suspension 101 on the way...
    TheGearDude likes this.
  20. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, and no. As far as I know they have not released a cartridge upgrade to fit on the 790. Their XPLOR PRO 6500 Cartridge upgrade kit fits:

KTM: EXC (150, 250, 300); EXC-F (250, 350, 450, 500); XC-W (150, 250, 300); XCF-W (350, 500) 2017-on
    Husqvarna: TE (150, 250, 300); FE (250, 350, 450, 501) 2017-on
    GASGAS: EC (250, 300); EC-F (250, 350) 2021

So basically it fits all the modern 48mm forks... except ones like ours. Unless they have something even newer I have not caught wind of.
    TheGearDude and catfishhands like this.