Not so adventurous R100

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by BicyclebBob, Aug 15, 2018.

1. BicyclebBob

BicyclebBob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just looked at the recite. It’s from Flat Racer, they have an eBay store and a website that list the r100/7 solo seat. Feels like a solid product.
  2. BicyclebBob

Oddometer:
    I know lots of seat pics from me lately... Next update will have some other content. Here’s the seat finally on the bike.

08479EDA-7E13-40FE-B08C-081D59810E68.jpeg
    Jim K in PA, aptbldr, ME 109 and 3 others like this.
  3. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    That is really looking nice. The lines on that will be just right once painted to match, has that 70’s cop bike look.
    ME 109 likes this.
  4. bajaburro

bajaburro Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What's your budget for this build?I'm sure 99% of us would find our self lacking in funds.
  5. BicyclebBob

Oddometer:
    I’m doing my best to not keep track of the spending... That is why this is such a drawn out project, have to wait for the bank account to catch up.
    Disston, bajaburro and johnwesley like this.
  6. Kiwiabbo

Kiwiabbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wouldn’t worry about the motor. Unless it needs a full rebuild then maybe. Pretty sure you’ll have all the hp you will need. I would rather spend it on completing the cosmetics to a high standard and then ride the arse off it. Only then will you know if you are actually lacking. I have only wanted more hp once and that was cause I was on my GS fully loaded and with a pillion trying to keep up with my old man on his new 1200rs. I was on the stop for a long period. 150kph tapped out with a head wind. The old girl did fabulous in the attempt
  7. BicyclebBob

Oddometer:
    My daily bikes are closer to 200hp, I like power... I also really enjoy making a powerful reliable motor. It’s kind of going to be the center point of the bike for me (most important part, the build is for me). I also have a 95 r100rt and a bunch (5) of other airheads so I’m fairly familiar with the power on them. Absolutely no corners will be cut on the fit finish and performance of this build. Spending money on the motor won’t subtract from the cosmetics. This build is and will be all about attention to detail, building something I’m happy with that I have fun building and riding.
  8. Kiwiabbo

Kiwiabbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry if I offended butyou mentioned sticking to a budget. Motor mods quickly get outta hand. I know as I’m in that now
  9. BicyclebBob

Oddometer:
    I was afraid it may come off that way, but it takes much more than that to offend me. I was just trying to clearly state I’m most excited about the motor and am quite familiar with stock and modified versions of it. I mentioned being able to afford it earlier not so much because of a budget but because going out of country will offset my income enough that I don’t feel horrible about spending 8K plus on an antiquated motor that I probably shouldn’t spend that much on.
    Kiwiabbo likes this.
  10. Derek_S

Derek_S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What handlebars have you elected to put on there? I have tons of issues with my right wrist and am thinking of making a change. I currently have Tommaselli bars, similar to R100GS bars. I am thinking of going to an RT bar, or something in that vein, to see if it helps any.
  11. BicyclebBob

Oddometer:
    They’re lsl tracker bars. They are 7/8ths though not 22mm.
  12. BicyclebBob

Oddometer:
    I was going to build some muffler with a set of the new cone engineering big mouth mufflers. However after seeing how small the largest one actually is I’ve got to come up with something else.

I’ve had these stainless ones laying around the garage for a long time and I kind of like them. I think a light sand and heavy polish and these might be the ones.

On another I was thinking about a turbo. Actually I wasn’t, but after spending the day at boxer metal yesterday Chris got me thinking about it. Anyone running one? Lots of new small turbos on the market in in the last few years...

7353CCB7-BEBD-4E77-B0D6-E096415A3DD9.jpeg

18970D96-6BE1-44B7-A7D1-E6C0E7C09FA8.jpeg
  13. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Coming along nicely.
    How bright is that retro tailight? I know it's about looks but how does it function?
    May want to opt to make the signals running lights as well, just for better conspicuity...
    BicyclebBob likes this.
  14. Derek_S

Derek_S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your design is none of my business but you asked for opinions so here is mine. Those silencers just don't seem right to me. I came across these and immediately thought of your project.

Attached Files:

BicyclebBob likes this.
  15. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    I've always liked those mufflers, but not on this build. Personally, i think she's asking for some longer mufflers that terminate closer to the back of the bags/cases. Something not stock though.
    Boxerbreath likes this.
  16. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Better to run them as far back as possible.
    Better off running something in the BMW realm.
    Those actually look right.

Shorty (or no) mufflers are a joke.
    Those Sparky's are some sort of retro-Triumph kit. On Triumphs they looked good and sounded good but created negative performance on a TR.

I hear these Cone guys are pretty knowledgable, but don't quoute me on that...
  17. Derek_S

Derek_S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Spark makes a BMW specific kit, which includes some extension pipes:

https://www.spark.it/en/exhaust/bmw/r-100-87-95/gbm0902

I cannot comment on the overall length (not listed) or sound, just the looks. I feel like the chosen exhaust just looks so slender and European, whereas the front of the bike feels much heavier and almost American (Harley) ish. Of course I don't see in my head the vision of what you see in your head, so it remains only my 2 cents.
  18. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    I agree on this bike feeling very American (Harley)-ish. Which is why I'm not really feeling those mufflers. They look too Brit/Cafe to me.
  19. BicyclebBob

Oddometer:
    These are the original mufflers I was going to go with but they’re just to small. I might order one just to see it on the bike. There’s a 19” one too but to put that in perspective the exhaust on there right now is 28”

AAF45B94-3064-41A4-8AE0-A4DB30A90B30.jpeg
  20. BicyclebBob

Oddometer:
    Back of this bike will probably be one of the brightest airheads on here. The bags have leds (which will be brake lights) in them as well and the turn signals (witch will also be running lights) have leds in them and the license plate holder. Also the front of this bike will definitely be one of the brightest airheads on here. Just ordered the lights for it yesterday...