1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

not suitable for work (NSFW), then COVID came and i escaped to ID, MT, WA & OR

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by NSFW, Sep 2, 2020.

1. dondesmo

dondesmo Senior Squid

Oddometer:
    If you pass through Bandon again, right down the street from Fish & Chips Chowder is the Wheelhouse Restaurant, that arguably has the best clam chowder on the coast. They also have a great selection of craft and bottled beers.
    Chillis and NSFW like this.
  2. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Day 51, 2020.08.09, Powers OR - Agness - Gold Beach - Quosotana Campground

this is a nice route, through the forest and along a few creeks and the Rogue River; mixed of 60% pavement and 40% gravel
    upload_2020-10-6_17-33-5.png

[​IMG]

about time!
    [​IMG]

getting lost happens all the time
    [​IMG]

i thought these are cherries, but it's a plant. google has cherry plants...strange
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rogue River
    [​IMG]

yes, i am lost
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

wasn't on the DMV questionnaire, who gets the right of way?
    [​IMG]

to be continued
  3. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Day 51 continuation

i must have crossed the Rogue River at least 6 times
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

home for tonight. found a nice spot next to the river and set my tent up
    [​IMG]

back on the bike and rode to Gold Beach. in the distance, Isaac Lee Patterson Bridge.
    [​IMG]

checked out the coast one more time
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

made it back to camp before sunset
    [​IMG]

behind those trees is the Rogue River
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

collected as many blackberries i can eat
    [​IMG]

they grew wild and all over the place
    [​IMG]

while i was hanging out at my tent site, a drunk man came over and started asking me a lot of questions, and it became annoying. i just kept calm but he won't shut-up and leave. apparently, my neighbors are all hearing this and waiting for an end or escalation. one couple in their 60s (from OR) whom i met earlier came over and intervened. this made the drunk think that i'm not alone, so he peacefully left. i am very thankful to those couple for sticking their heads out helping a stranger.
    [​IMG]

end of Day 51
    [​IMG]
  4. BiggieFalls

BiggieFalls b00b

Oddometer:
    For anyone who is familiar with the blimp hangars in Tustin in So Cal, this hangar in Tillamook was built at the same time to the same specs using the same Oregon Douglas Fir. There were actually more than a dozen of these built at the same time along the US coasts to house fleets of blimps that would scan the waters for enemy submarines. These were major engineering feats at the time. I remember hearing about how these things were so big that they had their own atmosphere. The great thing about the one in Tillamook is that they found a way to repurpose it and to let the public appreciate it. Thanks for pictures Joel.

https://welweb.org/ThenandNow/NAS Bases.html

https://www.tustinca.org/DocumentCenter/View/1163/The-Tustin-Hangars-Titans-of-History-PDF
  5. NSFW

Oddometer:

wow....well documented and one of the best reading i've read. Eric, glad you added the link. thanks.

most of the land is back in the hands of private developers, more than 10,000 homes and a 1,347-acre park are planned for the former 4,682-acre Marine Corps Air Station.

not all good news, the Orange County Water District and the United States Department of the Navy have completed a joint project, the El Toro Groundwater Remediation Project, which is designed to clean up the TCE plume. This project began full operation in January 2007 and pumps water from the plume of TCE contamination. Following treatment to remove the TCE, this water is used only for non-drinking purposes. Each year the El Toro Groundwater Remediation Project provides 1.3 billion gallons of clean water for non-drinking water purposes, which is enough to irrigate 1,300 acres of landscaping. The cleanup of the plume is expected to take approximately 40 years.

here in Burbank, we have a similar but worse issue. we could not even drink our ground water. the Lockheed Plant, about a mile from my house left a huge plume of TCE which contaminated the San Fernando Valley Aquifer.
    upload_2020-10-7_9-42-15.png
  6. BiggieFalls

BiggieFalls b00b

Oddometer:
    Just a few miles NW of the main air base in El Toro, the Tustin hangars are still both in tact, but definitely being encroached upon as much as possible.

20201007_133734.jpg
    Chillis and NSFW like this.
  7. NSFW

Oddometer:
    i was looking for those and thought they were gone. need to check them out next month.
    Chillis likes this.
  8. jonomoto

jonomoto Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    "liv2day, post: 40941906, member: 356512"]Ditto to this, have been down to Bill”s many times over the years, have a Gas Gas 200 2T and his crew has helped with parts and many other things. Wish Husky wasn’t orange, but that’s another story :lol2 :lol2

Really cool to go hit some local dealers, look forward to hearing which direction @jonomoto went. Have been thinking of a Beta since GG was partially acquired by Katoom. Buddy rides an X-Trainer and that bike is excellent on the trails.

Great update "

@liv2day, i ended up with the fe350s, and tell the tale a bit on my RR. Love the bike, though the G2 Ergonomics Throttle Tamer makes it better, for me at least. The Oregon Back Country Discovery Route 3 this Labor Day.

The newest news though is son Jake and I just bought a couple of '21 T-7's, and are busy outfitting them for a trip starting next Wednesday south to Arizona for a few weeks. Will start a new RR and hopefully we won't have another brake failure!

9. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Day 52, 2020.08.10, Quosotana Campground - Gold Beach - Gasquet - Panther Flat Campground
    upload_2020-10-7_20-2-35.png

heading south on the coast highway means only one thing, i'm getting closer to home....:(:
    [​IMG]

one last look at the Oregon Coast
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

not the happiest moment for me but the bike needs urgent major service
    [​IMG]

a little detour won't hurt. took hwy 199 to Gasquet
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

nice forest road but when i got to the end, it was locked....:dirtdog
    [​IMG]

found a very nice campground next to the Smith River but all spots are taken, didn't give up, rode around and on the 3rd time, someone flagged me down to tell me there's one just became available.......:y0!
    [​IMG]

set up my tent and it was quiet enough i could hear the running river....and with discount, it was $7.50/night, includes flush toilet...:thumb
    [​IMG]

to be continued
  10. BiggieFalls

BiggieFalls b00b

Oddometer:
    Those Oregon coast pictures are alluring. Are they all from the same area or from different spots along the coast?
  11. NSFW

Oddometer:
    2 x T7....we need pics or didn't happen......:lurk

i think 3 different locations and within 3-5 miles from each other
    liv2day, MrKiwi and Chillis like this.
  12. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the quick thread-jack @NSFW, but wanted to reply. Enjoyed your RR on the OBCDR, glad to connect the dots from this report to yours.

And a couple of T7s...damn :eekers :thumb. That bike's on my short list of something to compliment the WR. Agree with Joel's post - need some pics of the bike prep and seriously look forward to following the trip you have planned down to AZ.

Back to the report - really liked the shots from the southern Oregon coast @NSFW. That's one part of OR I haven't spent much time in or around; need to do so.
    NSFW and Chillis like this.
  13. Stu675

Stu675 n00b

Oddometer:
    Could someone please explain why roads in USA have 2 solid yellow lines down the middle? Hoping to visit one day.
  14. davidaid

davidaid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Two yellow lines mean no passing slower vehicles for traffic in either direction. Single dashed line means traffic can pass in either direction. Dashed line on one side and solid line on the other means the dashed side can pass slower traffic, but the solid line cannot.
    MrKiwi and Chillis like this.
  15. surferbum

surferbum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Relocated to Scottsdale, AZ from SF Bay area
  16. Stu675

Stu675 n00b

Oddometer:
    @davidaid & @surferbum thanks, but looking at the photo and many many more on this thread, are Americans perhaps a little slow of thinking if they cannot safely overtake in the distance you can see to be clear? :jack

We have the same system in the UK but they are white - many times they are over exuberant in their use, not sure they're blatantly this ridiculous though!
  17. Stu675

Stu675 n00b

Oddometer:
  18. NSFW

Oddometer:
    if no passing allowed, and there are turnouts, the slow vehicle should pull to the side and let the vehicle behind to pass. it is considered a slow vehicle if there are 5 cars or more behind the slow vehicle...pls. let me know if that is inaccurate.
  19. surferbum

surferbum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Relocated to Scottsdale, AZ from SF Bay area
    Or you can drive your motorcycle like Joel, and drive on the side of the road like a bat out of hell Ignoring any painting in the middle the road.
    NSFW likes this.
  20. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Day 53-54, 2020.08.11-12, Gasquet - Panther Flat Campground - Crescent City

daytime temperature still in the high 80s and the Smith River has the answer
    [​IMG]

the water is was clear, 7 foot-visibility and not too cold
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it will be awesome if i could catch my dinner with my bare hands....but that doesn't make me an angler
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

interesting tree and new to me
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

i enjoy my tent if i don't put on the rainfly because....
    [​IMG]

to be continued