not suitable for work (NSFW), then COVID came and i escaped to ID, MT, WA & OR

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by NSFW, Sep 2, 2020.

1. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds good to me! :ricky

"The guy in the Ram in the second video couldn’t find a way to not cross into your lane on a straight section of highway after already passing three riders? What a dick."

But in the bargain better average drivers in OR then So.CA (not hard). Also no decreasing radius turns like our mountain roads have. I liked it!

Thx for the Vids.
    Mike
    NSFW and Chillis like this.
  2. Some Beach

Some Beach Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great memories, thanks for taking the time to write this up! Mofrid knows his roads; that was a great day of riding even if we had to run an errand for a special guy who needed a blanket or something. :lol3

Now everyone has their hands full in that area with all of the fires. Stay safe Bill and my other Oregonian/Californian friends!
    NSFW and Chillis like this.
  3. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    i wonder if the lane assist features on newer vehicles could avoid such a situation.....?

what about this one on Orcas Island? click picture twice to play vid.
    [​IMG]
    BiggieFalls and Chillis like this.
  4. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:

Another user of the Olympus TG series camera here, I've got a TG-3 that I have been carrying it around in my tank bank (or attached to the bag with a lanyard) for several years. Solid little cameras and like you will stick with the TG family when I need to pick up another camera.
    NSFW likes this.
  5. NSFW

Oddometer:
    hotels used to be cheap. motel 6 for instance ranges from $60 to $140 depending on location.

airbnb often times cost even more but less than 4 -star hotels.

i did a moto-ride for 80+ days staying in motels/hotels/airbnb in eastern EU and that broke the bank. have no regret though. even in Asia, accommodations with an air-conditioner are expensive too. since i don't have kids, not worried about their inheritance.

from another point of view, people spend $180K on a sprinter van built for camping, lots of RVs more than $200k and whatever their towing. that's just a starter.

think he wants a yoga mat....:rofl

@Mofrid, hope the situation out there improves and people are safe.
    Some Beach, Mofrid and Chillis like this.
  6. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used to get really angry when people are careless and put your safety in jeopardy.

It has become so common now that I'm used to it. Still get riled from time to time. As long as it doesn't cause a wreck I've been chill about it. Not afraid to blast out of a situation.

With age I'm less willing to stand the ground and yield more to other motorists. That whole, we can't win on a bike in a collision, weighs heavier.

Glad you made it safely through this trip Joel.

I've posted in my thread about this year being the worst I've seen for riding twisty roads in California and oncoming motorists being in my lane. 2020 has become the year of the wide berth, in more ways than one.
  7. NSFW

Oddometer:
    thanks Chillis and happy to be back and able to hang out here on the forum. it beats watching tv....wait, i don't have a television.

riding with a DCT helps too as far as staying safe. it relieves my mind from operating the bike and focus more on the road and surroundings.

whatever we can, let's make the best out of 2020.
    black 8 and Chillis like this.
  8. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    D@mn Joel... you sure are covering a lot of ground for this Covid-19 escape and made lots of memories along the way.

The PNW was already calling me and you exacerbated that itch. Now I have to scratch it!

I'm leaving next week to basecamp at Mountain Home, ID to explore some off-road options and then stay the night in Stanley for some motography...
    NSFW, dano619 and Chillis like this.
  9. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Which bike(s) are you taking?
    black 8 likes this.
  10. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    I haven't quite decided but it's a toss up between the Monkey or XT-250 that gets hauled up in back of the truck.
    Chillis likes this.
  11. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Day 18, 2020.07.05 - Bay View - Whidbey Island - Clinton

upload_2020-9-10_22-1-38.png

so many neighboring islands west of the mainland, so instead of riding down straight towards Seattle, rode to Fidalgo Island - Whidbey Island, and get on the ferry at Clinton to Everett.
    [​IMG]

rode the coastal roads for more views of the water
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

visited this historical place
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

used to have a coastal gun battery here, bunker behind
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

another gun placement at the other end of the bunker
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

back on the road, saw this cool camper van
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

from the other side of the bridge, more boats coming out
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

not my ferry terminal, this goes to Fort Townsend (Olympic Peninsula)
    [​IMG]

Mukilteo is where i'm going
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    flying.moto, MrKiwi, rjnutt and 5 others like this.
  12. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Day 18 continuation

made it to Clinton just several minutes before boarding
    [​IMG]

didn't have to wait long
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whidbey Island behind me now
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

note the Paramedic has the top priority
    [​IMG]

then pedestrians
    [​IMG]

engines revving
    [​IMG]

hello mainland WA
    [​IMG]

the Boeing plant in Everett
    [​IMG]

tomorrow's forecast is going to rain and decided to book at Studio 6 (upgraded version of Motel 6). also it has laundromat....perfect!

updated route
    upload_2020-9-10_22-22-42.png
    flying.moto, MrKiwi, hansen and 7 others like this.
  13. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I vote Monkey!
    NSFW likes this.
  14. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Love that Camp Casey Conference Center pic. The color of the grass and the sky are so vivid. No cloud cover either!

I lived in Seattle for a couple months about 9 years ago. It was the first time in my life I'd bought a rain jacket for an everyday article of clothing. Still have it.

Love the pics.
    AllSeasonRider and NSFW like this.
  15. BiggieFalls

BiggieFalls b00b

Oddometer:
    I expect drivers to be careless and inattentive. I watch for it so I can either avoid them or get away from them as quickly and safely as possible. Once I’m past them I never give it another thought. What gets me going is when people see you, try to intimidate you and probably wish they could get away with killing you. Commuting 400 miles a week for a few years allowed me to see this more times than I could believe. I also grew up around bikers who had stories of friends who had purposely been run down and killed by drivers in the 50s and 60s. I have to believe the guy in the Ram was one of those a-holes. He came around a corner directly facing the front riders then continued to stay over the line as he continued to pass the other riders. He held a perfect line. HandCanonShootr has a set of gold auxiliary lights that make it almost impossible not to notice him. That guy rode that line intentionally. He’s a dick. I also avoid and get away from those guys as quickly as possible, but they piss me off.
    AllSeasonRider and Chillis like this.
  16. BiggieFalls

BiggieFalls b00b

Oddometer:
    Interesting choice of camouflage colors on the bunker. They appear to be neither based on the surroundings nor artistic.
    Chillis likes this.
  17. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So true, even a flash to full power on the driving lights did not make him move. He saw us all....

Cage-dicks, can't kill them, gotta avoid them.

so I Exhale, Inhale, Exhale,
    Mike
  18. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    People sure are strange, and if it means anything, cagers are out for each other just as much as us. I was pulling onto an onramp in the car just yesterday. It was a steep-ish uphill and two lanes wide before merging into 1 lane to merge onto the freeway. The car in front of me was moving a little slowly, so I moved over and passed them so I wasn't stuck trying to merge onto the 101 at 40mph. So of course, the white-haired old lady in the Toyota Camry that I passed - legally and safely - is LAYING on her horn at me.

I used to get upset at stuff like that, but there's literally nothing you can do that will change that person's mind about who they think the a**hole is. So now I just smile and wave at road ragers... and the get the hell out of the way.

Keep it coming, Joel!
  19. busdriver803

busdriver803 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has been great following along, enjoying your videos and photos. Live on Camano Island and really enjoy loop rides around Whidbey Island as well as the ride along Chuckanut Drive. So many great day rides north of Seattle.
    Chillis and NSFW like this.
  20. NSFW

Oddometer:

i agree, here's the vid
    [​IMG]
    BiggieFalls and Chillis like this.