not suitable for work (NSFW), then COVID came and i escaped to ID, MT, WA & OR

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by NSFW, Sep 2, 2020.

1. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Totally enjoyed the last few updates @NSFW! Your trip across the northern Cascades brought back some great memories of a street ride I did back in '08; phenomenal scenery along the way. Hard to believe it's been more than 12 years since this picture was taken...damn.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm envious of the exploration you did on the Olympic peninsula; that's an area of WA I haven't explored and really want to.

Great job with the pics, look forward to what comes next!
  2. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    let's wait for @black 8 pics when he does the PNW. mine would look like sub-par.

nice pics!

always glad to share. there are so many places to see and unfortunately, there's not enough time in our lifetime to fulfill such.
    BiggieFalls, black 8 and Chillis like this.
  3. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Day 25, 2020.07.12 - Ashford - Mt. Saint Helens - Packwood
    upload_2020-9-13_11-32-40.png

from Mt. Rainier, i went west on 706, then 7 south,
    [​IMG]

it's great to see a NAPA store in most of the small towns. they could be useful for moto travelers.
    [​IMG]

gassed up in Morton and lunch at Subway
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

hwy 131 became NFD 25 a narrow road filled with potholes, uneven surfaces, missing pavement, etc. main reason 4-wheeled vehicles avoid this road.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

@Shady Pass David recommended Windy Ridge for the best view of Mt. Saint Helens
    [​IMG]

Windy Ridge on the way up
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

another pic without the major distraction
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

miner's car from the May 18, 1980 and the occupants didn't survive...lots of lives lost that time
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

worth reading from google:

On May 18, 1980, an earthquake struck below the north face of Mount St. Helens in Washington state, triggering the largest landslide in recorded history and a major volcanic eruption that scattered ash across a dozen states. The sudden lateral blast—heard hundreds of miles away—removed 1,300 feet off the top of the volcano, sending shock waves and pyroclastic flows across the surrounding landscape, flattening forests, melting snow and ice, and generating massive mudflows. A total of 57 people lost their lives in the disaster. This anniversary always hits home for me, as I was a 12-year-old living in Spokane at the time. I have such vivid memories of the approaching ash cloud, the bizarre dark skies at daytime, the uncertain fears of inhaling the ash, deserted streets, and closed schools.

more on the link above

one for @Ladybug
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so many empty parking spaces and these guys need only one.....:thumb
    [​IMG]

the surrounding view
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

to be continued...:wave
  4. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Day 25 continued

coming down on Windy Ridge
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

every time i see d.s. riders, wish i'm with them on my thumper
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

got them lined up on my camera
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

stopped here for much-needed refreshment
    [​IMG]

here for food supplies
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

home for the night
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

dinner including left over Smoked Salmon. you got to have cherries and apples when in WA
    [​IMG]

end of Day 25
    [​IMG]
  5. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Thanks for the flower pic. :flug:thumb

Windy Ridge is my favorite viewpoint for Mt. St Helens. Tour busses don't go there. :clap
    NSFW and Chillis like this.
  6. dondesmo

dondesmo Senior Squid

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to post up this RR. I've been riding the NW for 50 years and you have picked one hell of a route and haven't missed much. Well done sir.
    NumberCruncher, NSFW and Chillis like this.
  7. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great updates @NSFW, Windy Ridge and the surrounding Giff area is incredible. Glad you did the trip when you did, there's a big fire burning up that way right now and Cougar and the small communities have had to evacuate.

Again, some great memories from many, many street rides up Windy Ridge and beyond. You didn't come down 410 at any point and ride past Whistlin' Jack Lodge? Another fantastic place to stop for a stay if you're ever in that neck of the woods. We also rented houses near Bethel Ridge multiple times when the group was large enough - so many awesome roads with amazing scenery.

Your camp spot looks sweet, lots of space and not too many people?

Agree with the comments from @dondesmo - you've hit the highlights of asphalt travel in the PNW man.

Look forward to what comes next :ricky :thumb
  8. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    your trip and photos are what encouraged me to get off my @ss and hit the road up to Idaho...

keep those awesome photos comin' as it will inspire others to get on the road as well...

:beer
  9. NSFW

Oddometer:
    if i you don't see me posting flowers, i assure you when i see one, immediately i think of LB

thanks dd for following along and for mentioning the route. no way missing a good route since all routes in WA are beautiful.

no chance to do Whistlin Jack, the road from was closed at the time. i could have ride north from Packwood but my destination at the time is southeast.

the campground is like a small forest, lots of trees and has big sparses of land. no neighbors and at night, all i hear are wild animals howling or courting calls.

wish we spent more time in ID and i hope you fill us in more in your travel.
    Chillis and rjnutt like this.
  10. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Joel, after a few days have caught up, really enjoying this RR. Been taking my time reading it and looking at you pics.

I have on one screen google maps open so I can see the areas you are visiting as I read you updates, helps me to get context for your journey. Cheers from downunder...
    Chillis likes this.
  11. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those events are pretty frequent out here too. I had seven or eight on my last four-hour ride up into Kentucky. The ride before that near Crossville, nearly took me out. That driver was in severe understeer and drifting right towards me. I slowed way up and scooted over as far as I could and communicated with my middle finger. Holding the left tire groove like cruisers do is just stupid these days.

Chillis likes this.
  12. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Day 26, 2020.07.13, Packwood - Yakima - Goldendale

upload_2020-9-15_20-42-31.png

as i ride east, my mind wanders where's next. kept going until i decided to go south. look for mountains and passes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i enjoy going through tunnels
    [​IMG]

and take a pic or 2 while inside
    [​IMG]

i've seen many roads like this along a river
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the sign reminds me where i was
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

i stopped in Yakima to buy an oil filter and ate lunch
    [​IMG]

farther south i go, the landscape changes
    [​IMG]

found a nice campground with plenty of available spots due to this place is not popular among campers
    [​IMG]

no RVs or big campers on these sites
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

nothing out of ordinary this day and the ride was pretty mellow. just another day of moto-camping and away from the pandemic.
  13. NSFW

Oddometer:
    MK....glad to see you here and thanks for following along.

being stuck a home (self-isolation), i have plenty of time planning future rides and one of them is NZ. i have a CRF250 Rally stored in Manila and thinking of the possibility of shipping it to NZ/AUS. still have to weight the cost/benefit of doing it. my guess is if i do 2 months of riding down under, the shipping cost will be justified.

cheers!
    Chillis, AllSeasonRider and MrKiwi like this.
  14. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Day 27, 2020.07.14, Goldendale - Stonehenge - La Grande - Enterprise

upload_2020-9-15_21-13-44.png

heading down towards the Columbia River
    [​IMG]

standing on the north (WA) side of the river
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

what? Stonehenge? it's the US version
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it is a WWI memorial near the townsite of Maryhill, Washington, stands a full-scale replica built by museum founder Sam Hill
    [​IMG]

you think i can?
    [​IMG]

i continue east and on the north side of the river
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

one of the many dams tapping electrical energy from the Columbia River
    [​IMG]

farther upstream
    [​IMG]

there are not too many gas stations on this stretch of the highway and this one has been around
    [​IMG]

it's a self-serve pump, paying was unusually different and the cc machine is at a different location, but i got it figured out. didn't count 20 either. love the non-ethanol 91.
    [​IMG]
    flying.moto, black 8, Chillis and 8 others like this.
  15. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Day 27 continuation

crossing the Columbia River at Umatilla
    [​IMG]

i'm now back in Oregon
    [​IMG]

downtown La Grande
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it was here in La Grande while i was putting air on my front TKC 80, i noticed the tire is almost done. luckily another advrider stopped to say hello to me. i explained to him my situation and he offered to help me find a replacement preferably in the direction where i'm going. told him, i don't have a direction! meantime, i called around but not getting anywhere. got hold of Biggie and asked him if he could find local motorcycle shops on google. he found a couple of places but none of them have a tubeless 21". 30 minutes later, my new advrider friend called me and he found one in Enterprise. great news, and now i'm going to Enterprise. really thankful to have people helping me.
    [​IMG]

Imbler OR
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lostine
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

found the Honda dealer in Enterprise. they told me to drop off the bike first thing in the morning and will take care of me
    [​IMG]

just a few miles up on hwy 2, this is home for the next 4 days
    [​IMG]
    flying.moto, black 8, Smidty and 12 others like this.
  16. BiggieFalls

BiggieFalls b00b

Oddometer:
    More great pictures Joel.
    Looks like Yakima might have thought they would be heading in a different direction in the 1920s/1930s than they actually did, judging by that giant Art Deco building.
    I remember the gas pumps well that you would stop, then wait, then the pump would go a little faster. I think Reagan was president at the time. I guess if it ain’t broke...
    It’s crazy to think that a lot of your trip from this point on probably wouldn’t be possible right now due to fires.
  17. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Either country is good for way more then 2 mos. NZ has many diverse areas to explore, for such a geographically small country. I have family in Auckland, in case you need someone to receive a shipment. Hiking on the South Island, (some) Culture in the North, many interesting day trips, 1-5 day hikes, the peeps are soo friendly. Every time I'm back I'm amazed.
    As to OZ, well aside from their current situ, you'll have way more then a couple months of riding. Just the east coast (OZ) took me 4 months, rushing for a flight in the end. (XR250)
    Along the way, the Gold Coast (undeveloped) , Great Barrier Reef / Scuba, Airlie Beach, Frasier & Magnetic Islands took lots of time to experience. (also a couple of Nurses from US on vacation)

Was just re-reading the middle of this RR (Italy) last week, dreaming.

Hoping you are feeling better.
    Mike B
    Chillis, MrKiwi and NSFW like this.
  18. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    WOW! Log House RV is where I used to host a campout each year. After about 10 years I got burned out on it and started a different type of campout in another area of OR. Log House is a great base and ohhhhhh the showers are the best. I recommend it for any motorcyclist looking for a place to camp while visiting that area.

The tavern you grabbed a photo of in Lostine was the oldest operating tavern in OR. It's too bad it's no longer operating.

The folks at the motorcycle shop in Enterprise have bent over backward for motorcyclists in town for the annual campout. They have even taken parts off of new bikes on the showroom floor to get people back on the road.
  19. NSFW

Oddometer:
    i never expected that parts of OR are vulnerable to wildfires. they are all green and there is an abundance of water, unlike CA which is a tinder box. i feel sad for everyone here in the west coast. things have to change when it comes to managing the land. my personal take is we need more public participation, more volunteerism, and not just leave it to the state and fed governments.

Mike, it's always great remembering the past and the fun times.

love to do it but no rush. once this pandemic is globally under control and travel restrictions ease up, we should all be able to enjoy traveling again.
    Chillis, Mofrid and AllSeasonRider like this.
  20. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    That photo showing the availability and price of the camp sites is why I no longer camp.

That's just robbery.
    Chillis likes this.