not suitable for work, then COVID came and i escaped to ID, MT, WA, OR, CA Desert & UT

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by NSFW, Sep 2, 2020.

1. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Day 36-38, 2020.07.25-27, Mosko Mototel Camp - White Salmon

the day before when i was in Mt. Hood, i searched for campgrounds and they were all full. motels are expensive and not excited to spend $$. will do it if i need laundry which i already did it in Estacada. i was getting hopeless!

then i remember reading Sideoff (Pete) post in the Tent Space. made contact and problem solved.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/tent-space-sign-up-thread.149585/page-71#post-40143104

picture borrowed from Sideoff's post
    [​IMG]

here's my home for the next few days
    [​IMG]

that's the Bates Mototel on the right
    [​IMG]

breakfast in town and since i'm not spending on camping, i opted for the $20 healthy breakfast...not a typo.
    [​IMG]

afterward, did my groceries
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

just across the street are some cool hiking and mtb trails
    [​IMG]

from one of the hills, there's Columbia River and the town
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

can't be happier staying at MoskoMoto Mototel. all the folks i met are friendly and very helpful, can't say more about Pete and Ashley, they are awesome hosts; and thanks for their generosity/kindness by sharing their property to travelers. everything is absolutely free!
    Milano.B, i4bikes, N-Id-Jim and 18 others like this.
  2. hansen

hansen airhead addict

Oddometer:
    I hate grated bridges since I rode over the Nisutlin Bay Bridge (aka Teslin Bridge) in 1991, 700 meters of a nightmare:

http://www.yukonvisitor.com/images/places/teslin.jpg

Great RR, Joel!
    N-Id-Jim, idea man, Chillis and 2 others like this.
  3. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Increasingly Grumpy Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is wet and cold, windy as hell here as I write this. Our borders remain closed, I have not been out on my ride locally for ages and this rider report is making me twitchy.

Loving the write up Joel.
    i4bikes, Pcfly, Chillis and 1 other person like this.
  4. NSFW

Oddometer:
    hans, good to hear from you and thanks for following along. i hope you found time the time to ride during this pandemic.

thanks MK. you're not alone, and worse here, if i don't ride within a week, i go crazy. it has been over 4 weeks now i came back and under gov't stay-at-home order, though managed to ride one Saturday a few weeks ago. this weekend we plan to ride more and camp (gov't stay-in-place order). haha i twisted that one, but no worry yet since my covid test came out negative.

take care and i got more to come.
    Chillis and MrKiwi like this.
  5. flying.moto

flying.moto Earthbound Misfit, I Supporter

Oddometer:
    Too much praise, Joel! :) but thank you! :bow

Fantastic report, Joel! Now it all adds up, all the recommendations and everything! We actually covered some of the same pavement stretches! Yakima in the evening worried me a bit, but a hotel I stayed had secure parking so all good... Darby MT! I have been there many times... have you heard of the Sheriff Larry from there?! I wonder if he is still around and giving speeding tickets through town for 1 mph over... i bet you wondered why everyone is so accurate to not speed there :lol3 That Sumpter dredge... wow... i guess if one rides at the pace my vacation imposed on me, one can totally miss an elephant in the way :photog Funny enough we had lunch at the same spot in the Government camp... although mine was just a granola bar and a red bull... and then your RR reminded me just Exactly where I ran into a strange lady of Native descent who asked me: "hey...do you have any weed? This town terrible! You can get acid anywhere here but no weed at all. Are you sure you have no weed?" :hmmmmm:scratch:dunno that was in Sisters! :lol2

I am thoroughly enjoying my one day of layover in a small town hotel in Arizona, thanks to you! :clap let's ride sometime soon again!
    Chillis and NSFW like this.
  6. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Day 36-40 2020.07.25-29, Mosko Mototel Camp - White Salmon

didn't go anywhere for the next 2 days, but busy helping in camp, doing electrical work and hanging out with other campers.

one of Pete's plans is to clear this area so it could be utilized, and he doesn't know anyone who is qualified. i mentioned to him that i'm a certified chain saw operator for 4 years now, got my training from USFS and has an up to date certification card. we get recertified every 2 years after passing the field test.
    [​IMG]

he already bought a brand new Skill chainsaw and i offered to help if he provides me the hard-hat, chaps, hardhat, etc. - safety first....:nod
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

didn't work continuously since it got hot during mid-day, so it took me 2 days to clear the area. working solo, cutting and swamping, it's hard labor and takes a long time. no complaint and i slept very well for 2 nights. wish i took a picture after completion so you get the idea.

also part of my day is not too glamorous..... laundry
    [​IMG]
    Mcahron, N-Id-Jim, DaleE and 14 others like this.
  7. BiggieFalls

BiggieFalls b00b

Oddometer:
    Sounds like Pete may have started his adventuring by following the Adventures of Tom Sawyer as a kid.
  8. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    I saw the Mosko Compound in one of their blog updates - figured I'd stop in on my way north (or the way back) if I head up that way next year. Looks like a cool little hangout with like-minded folks.
    Pcfly and Chillis like this.
  9. NSFW

Oddometer:
    the routes are all actually nice.

f.m. you did great on your last trip, i consider it epic in terms of riding lots of dirt and rocks, stealth camping and exploring places that most people would not venture in. having drone pics and vids just make the RR more exciting (but involves a lot of work on your part).

didn't we all? i did but it was the movie long way around that inspired me to ditch my 4x4 and go moto.

Mark, yes on the campground and ride along the Columbia River all the way to Astoria.
    AllSeasonRider and Chillis like this.
  10. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Day 41, 2020.07.30 - @Pcfly Tour

Paul came over and picked me up at the Bates Mototel. he was late and had a lot of traffic on the way over. i know he has a red AT and i was impressed when he showed up on a brand new ATAS.
    [​IMG]

after getting an appointment (by appointment only due to covid) to see the MoskoMoto showroom, Paul and i hit the road. saw another inmate on his way home from a long camping trip and invited him to join us.
    [​IMG]

managed to park in front of the MM showroom
    [​IMG]

how cool is that?
    [​IMG]

looking at her 2 descendants
    [​IMG]

best place to find your size, unfortunately they only do mail order...and worst part, Paul realizes he went up in size...:lol3...nice nOObs l.s. shirt.
    [​IMG]

Jenn from Mosko flanked by 2 robbers....:lol2...at least they got a sale from the rider on the left, while Paul and i managed to keep our CC un-swiped.
    [​IMG]

afterwards, we let our new friend ride home while Paul and i continued on to our destination
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RV drivers, pay attention to the clearance limit
    [​IMG]

the 3rd tunnel
    [​IMG]

then the 4rth
    [​IMG]

this by the way is on the WA side of the river
    [​IMG]

to be continued
    Mcahron, N-Id-Jim, DaleE and 16 others like this.
  11. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Day 41 continuation

just past Skamania Lodge, we turned right and hit this gravel road
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

someone broke down and now with a broken window.....and possibly a ticket for abandoning the vehicle
    [​IMG]

we stopped to check out the waterfall
    [​IMG]

Paul said that's below normal
    [​IMG]

pano version
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

we continue going up
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the river that we just crossed is in the middle of the pic
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then lunch in Vancouver
    [​IMG]

curious to see what's on the Oregon side, not the same bridge earlier
    [​IMG]

above Columbia River
    [​IMG]

watch out for the grates and the pedestrian!
    [​IMG]

from another perspective
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

not as fun as the WA side
    [​IMG]

taken from Mitchell Point Overlook
    [​IMG]

again, here comes the dreaded Hood River Bridge
    [​IMG]

now i see the warning sign
    [​IMG]

these 2 towers actually lift the center span of the bridge to allow ships to get through
    [​IMG]

back to MM Mototel
    [​IMG]

it was a good day and thankful to @Pcfly for showing his backyard....:thumb

also would like to add the Heidenaus K60s are not bad!
    Mcahron, i4bikes, N-Id-Jim and 18 others like this.
  12. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Catching up over your last several days, great job with the pics and taking us along! Not sure if you'd ever ridden the parts of the Cascades you hit before (Marion Forks, Detroit, etc); if not, it's good that you had a chance to do so - the fires have decimated towns like Idhana, Detroit, Mill City, and others. That fire continues to burn and some places are still under a level 3 evacuation order - effin' sad man.

Really neat you hit the Mosko camp and hung out for a few days, I think it's great that they're providing that space for the adv crowd. Lots of great riding around the Gorge, especially as you make your way up into the Gifford area. Don't suppose you stopped by Thunder Island Brewing when you went through Cascade Locks? Put it on your list if you didn't and you make it back to the Gorge, great beers and food!

Really enjoying all the pics and report @NSFW, so great to see places I've ridden and experienced over the years through another set of eyes. Keep 'em coming :D :D
  13. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously?? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Come up anytime Joel! Nice having you to show around, maybe next time we camp in the Olympias. :thumb
  14. dondesmo

dondesmo Senior Squid

Oddometer:
    Crossing the Hood River Bridge on a '87 GSXR 750 in a heavy rainstorm with high winds is something I will never forget.
    NumberCruncher, NSFW and Pcfly like this.
  15. NSFW

Oddometer:

i remember riding through Idhana, Detroit, Mill City and many more. they are nice little communities and sad to hear the wildfire went into a rampage through that area.

wish i enjoy drinking beer. strange that even my brothers and sisters don't drink either, including liquor. i will stop for the food for sure!

really love the area and i will let you know for sure before i head up.

:yikes
  16. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Day 42, 2020.07.31, White Salmon - Portland, 75 miles

upload_2020-9-28_18-31-49.png

found a spot closest to the Columbia River while taking a break
    [​IMG]

2 holes in 1...that's better than an eagle (golf terminology)
    [​IMG]

one of the most beautiful rivers i've seen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

made it to Portland before noon
    [​IMG]

it was a short day and the afternoon was spent hanging out with my host @jonomoto and his family
    i4bikes, Joris van O, DaleE and 10 others like this.
  17. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Day 43, 2020.08.01, Portland and vicinity

having a bed in a nice home is a welcome change....:y0!

the following morning, the first order of the day is breakfast then go bike shopping for jonomoto

it was between a Beta 390RR and Husqvarna FE350

first stop was at BMP in Salem. this place was highly recommended by @Pcfly
    [​IMG]

not just new bikes, the dealership has many classic bikes, mostly dirt and enduro types on display
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

i had an XL 350similar to that Honda which looks like the big brother
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

based on the collage of photos there, BMP has been a Husqvarna dealer for a long time. i noticed Heikki Mikkola in one of them (before he switched to Yammy) . he's one of my favorites including Roger deCoster.
    [​IMG]

no papers were signed that morning since we still have to go to a Beta dealer next.
    DaleE, Vrode, BigDogRaven and 6 others like this.
  18. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously?? Supporter

Oddometer:
    BMP is GREAT!! Those guys know their Huskys from way back and can usually get you what you need or tell you where to go! The crew there work on a lot of different bikes and will have several different brands sitting out front in for service.

Besides their knowledge, it’s like stepping back to a simpler time where people talk to you first about real things, business comes later. I love that place. :thumb
    NSFW, Ladybug and liv2day like this.
  19. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ditto to this, have been down to Bill”s many times over the years, have a Gas Gas 200 2T and his crew has helped with parts and many other things. Wish Husky wasn’t orange, but that’s another story :lol2 :lol2

Really cool to go hit some local dealers, look forward to hearing which direction @jonomoto went. Have been thinking of a Beta since GG was partially acquired by Katoom. Buddy rides an X-Trainer and that bike is excellent on the trails.

Great update @NSFW
    NSFW and Pcfly like this.
  20. NSFW

Oddometer:
    out here we have several small dealerships that survive the time and if i buy a new bike, i would like to get it from them....what bike would that be?....hmmmmm

ct125.jpg
    N-Id-Jim, black 8, MrKiwi and 2 others like this.