not suitable for work, then COVID came and i escaped to ID, MT, WA, OR, & CA Desert

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by NSFW, Sep 2, 2020.

1. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    riding through Ashland was at high 90's, then a few days later we rode there and it was low to mid 90's.

thanks...more coming.

Rudy. you have the time, the bike, the means, the weather is still good....go for it

back by 6 pm.....:lol3

i really felt bad for @Some Beach but i blame it on the Butler Map. then we ruined @Mofrid's bedtime...:fpalm

https://advrider.com/f/threads/halfrica-twin-does-4-western-states-loop.1455253/#post-40395218
    Thumpercrazee and black 8 like this.
  2. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    NSFW! :wave

Nice to see you got out for some riding :thumb
    A ride report is a brutal amount of work - thanks for sharing your trip with us!

kelly
    live2ridetahoe, dano619 and NSFW like this.
  3. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Day 4 continuation

Mike and i stopped at Diamond Lake and luckily the restaurant is open for take out only
    [​IMG]

Mike bought us lunch
    [​IMG]

picture borrowed from Google Image. Mt. Thielsen in the background
    [​IMG]

Mike wanted to check out some of the fun roads on his Butler Map. for sure hwy 138 west bound was fun and beautiful
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

we also want to do some dirt roads along the way
    [​IMG]

not for long it started drizzling which made riding on gravel much better
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks to those who made it possible for us

[​IMG]

they did an excellent job here
    [​IMG]

i guess they'll be back to finish this one off. we turned around and look for another dirt road
    [​IMG]

we don't know the area and decision time here
    [​IMG]

we were making good choices up to this point
    [​IMG]

we stopped for gas to make sure we have enough to get back to the cabin
    [​IMG]

the Butler Map Route (Rock Creek Road to Steamboat Creek Road) is what we want to do. from Rock Creek onward was narrow and undulating, and it was a lot of fun. we were having a blast that we missed the turn which is a very sharp, almost 350 degrees. anyway i trusted my Garmin Topo since it shows many roads to get back to hwy 138. most of them are logging roads and finally, i came to my senses and asked a local lady if we can take those roads. she advised us to turn around and take the same road we're on. by the time we get back on the 138 it was past 7 PM which is an hour past from the time i'm supposed to meet Some Beach at the locked gate. all i can do is hope that Mofrid or Motopschoman went to the gate and let Some Beach in. later i found out that they were worried, and drove to Prospect which is about 12 miles away, and use the internet so they can track down my Spot.

Mike and I rushed back home in the cold and i feeling guilty, no more pics on the ride home. one thing stuck in my mind is Handcannon's Half-africa Twin can do 90 mph when he got tired of following a car doing 50 mph. that was funny and we made progress on getting back sooner.....but still it was about 9 pm when @Mofrid served us dinner. truth is i was testing their patience and both Some Beach and Mofrid passed.....:hide
  4. BiggieFalls

BiggieFalls b00b

Oddometer:
    As an engineer, can you tell me how a 350 degree turn works? Isn’t that just a 10 degree turn to one side or the other, or do you have to spin in a circle?
  5. DARKRYDER

DARKRYDER NoNoob

Oddometer:
    Great report and fantastic pics! I'm departing Saturday for a three week GPSKevin PDR route and this RR is wetting my appetite. Keep it coming
    Thumpercrazee and live2ridetahoe like this.
  6. NSFW

Oddometer:
    hello kelly. good to see you here. hope you and Matt are safe and coping up.

let's all hang in there. rocky roads ahead of us.

i meant the turn is almost behind us, so it was very easy to miss when one is having fun.

thanks jeremy?, i remember mike is the other guy and seeing you guys again in Colorado Springs several years ago. have fun on your travel, and please have a ride report which i will be excited to follow. knowing you, you like the hard stuff.....no pressure.
    LittleWan likes this.
  7. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Chillis likes this.
  8. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Isn't that universally known as ADV-time...3 (or more) hours later than forecast :lol2 :lol2 :lol2

Great to see shots of the southern Oregon Cascades @NSFW, haven't been down that way in many moons (at least on that side of the Cascades). That cabin looks frickin' sweet, what a great place to base camp from.

I need to check your compatriots thread too; didn't know there were dueling reports for this rip.

Good updates man, look forward to what comes next!
  9. NSFW

Oddometer:
    2020.06.22 - Day 6, Union Creek and Surroundings

Bill our host came up with a very nice big-bike friendly loop. after breakfast, we suited up and can't wait to get going.
    [​IMG]

behind me, Dave closing the so-called "locked gate"
    [​IMG]

we rode down to the little town of Prospect to fuel up
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

our fearless leader in the front
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lunch time
    [​IMG]

cool looking electric charging station
    [​IMG]

i asked Bill that we go to downtown Ashland so i can buy a camping towel. no luck.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

we stopped for ice cream on the way back
    [​IMG]

best in town
    [​IMG]

the guilty party out in the open without a mask
    [​IMG]

back in the cabin enjoying our last afternoon here and we get to know everyone a lot more
    [​IMG]

Dave and Bill looking happy
    [​IMG]

the cleanest outhouse i've ever used, though it sucks there is not a single girlie magazine....:lol3
    [​IMG]
  10. DARKRYDER

DARKRYDER NoNoob

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="NSFW, post: 40784483, member: 50880"
    thanks jeremy?, i remember mike is the other guy and seeing you guys again in Colorado Springs several years ago. have fun on your travel, and please have a ride report which i will be excited to follow. knowing you, you like the hard stuff.....no pressure.[/QUOTE]

Hi Joel Yes, I remember meeting you at the Pahrump Rally a few years ago, that was a great weekend! Mike moved back to B.C., so this will be a three week solo trip and I’ll be sure to take plenty of pics and some video for the RR. Brand new fully farkled 1290 SAR with Dunlop Mission 50/50s on it this time. Should be fun!

Attached Files:

Lost Cartographer and NSFW like this.
  11. NSFW

Oddometer:
    very nice Jeremy. that 1290 would easily get you speeding tickets. stop at the Mosko Moto Bates Mototel in White Salmon.

your route on the coast is similar to mine and best from north to south. good luck finding a campground, don't pass up any, there might be an available spot. few times, i have to go inland in order for me to camp.

take care.
    DARKRYDER likes this.
  12. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    As we came over a rise on this awesome road, the right turn we needed was a merging road at 10-12 degrees almost in your mirrors blind spot, and on a rise, we never saw it, until we asked a local for the way. Truly for a couple days, felt bad for worrying Mofrid, our great host, and for leaving Some Beach locked out. We got over it with days of awesome roads & views.

Mike B
    Thumpercrazee, BiggieFalls and NSFW like this.
  13. NSFW

Oddometer:
    2020.06.23 - Day 7, Union Creek - Crane Hot Springs

not sure what happened to my pictures, so i have to borrow some from the guys

before heading out, we helped Bill clean up the cabin, then thanked Bill and we left with a lot of appreciation for the wonderful experience
    [​IMG]

Marty almost ready
    [​IMG]

when we got to Burns, we ordered tri-tip sandwiches from a Mennonite restaurant for lunch and at the same time dinner. while waiting, i went to a market to buy a towel, no such thing as a synthetic absorbent material, and bath towels are too bulky. i decided a kitchen towel will be sufficient.

when we arrived at Cranes Hot Spring, it was warm and sunny and no shade. luckily Marty has the solution.
    [​IMG]

good old Motopschoman
    [​IMG]

didn't really have a lot of places to hang out so we jumped in the hot springs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. NSFW

Oddometer:
    2020.06.24 - Day 8, Crane Hot Springs - Banks ID (Blue Route)
    upload_2020-9-4_13-37-40.png

early morning pics in camp
    [​IMG]

the camp was quiet, i slept good except for a little disturbance around midnight? it sounded like a big BMW crashing on the ground...:D
    [​IMG]

while we're getting ready, Marty reluctantly told us his shoulder is giving him pain and going to turn around to ride home.....:sick

[​IMG]

looking for breakfast
    [​IMG]

found this
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

we're happy this restaurant allows dining inside. nice to be eating on a table and proper chairs

downtown Vale
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

we crossed the Payette River numerous times
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

for many miles that river is along our side
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dave found a nice campground by the river
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

place is quiet for a while, then the local school had a musical play at the adjoining property. glad they ended the show before it got dark. while it was going on, Dave and Mike decided to find food at the local bar within walking distance from camp. i heard it was very interesting and different.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    Joel,

Just googled Crane Hot Springs. $50 for a site for two people; is that right?
  16. BiggieFalls

BiggieFalls b00b

Oddometer:
    I knew exactly what Joel meant. I just couldn’t help but tease him a little because he’s an engineer. I suspect many non-engineers confuse turning 360 degrees with turning 180 degrees and think it means making a u-turn and going in the opposite direction, when in reality it means making two consecutive u-turns so you end up going in your original direction. I wouldn’t expect it from Joel. Sorry Joel, I’m just a smart-ass. I’m glad it all worked out in the end and I would have loved to have been there to miss that 170 degree turn with you guys.
    Thumpercrazee and AllSeasonRider like this.
  17. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thought (2 sites, 4 bikes) it was a little less (Some Beach Paid this time) but it included their killer Hot Springs, a great soak.

Wish you had made it, between those roads, the Rogue River, Crater Lake, the Cabin, Mofrids rides.....
    Epic

Joel's Bike in the sunrise at Crane Ht
    20200624_051750.jpg

Attached Files:

18. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dang, you guys are covering some ground! Fantastic capture with that sunset from Crane hot springs; brilliant colors in the clouds.

Haven't been through Vale OR for a couple decades, doesn't looks like it's changed much :lol2. Glad you were able to find a good place to chow, small town diners like that are typically awesome.

Sweet camp spot along the river! Is that the Salmon? Remember riding along a great river in ID lots of years ago; great twisties that just begged to be ridden quickly.

Great update, look forward to what comes next!
  19. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Bill's cabin is everything a person wants. we have to be nice to him so we could get invited again.

flying.moto is one tough adventurer and a great guy.

Joe. i wasn't sure, like Mike said it was Some Beach who paid for it.

check this one out; prices may be seasonal.

https://reserve3.resnexus.com/resnexus/reservations/lodging/C2D7EABD-B457-4D92-8597-981CEB6F1992

i don't think like an engineer if i'm not getting paid....:baldy

whenever we can, we always patronize small-town diners. the camp spot is nice for having a shade. Some Beach is good in finding good and reasonably priced sites. i think this one is $30/night and next to the Payette River.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. NSFW

Oddometer:
    2020.06.25 - Day 9, Banks ID - Challis ID
    upload_2020-9-4_20-32-15.png

we could have ridden as far as Corvallis MT for another 4 hours and reach our destination, but we were not in a rush. this one is short in miles but was a fun ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the Payette River
    [​IMG]

looks like burnt trees that are in recovery....:clap
    [​IMG]

that's a beautiful mountain range
    [​IMG]

i was impressed by the Half-Africa Twin....and it doesn't suffer from pre-mature fork failure, welll if it does, only half will..:rofl
    [​IMG]