not suitable for work, then COVID came and i escaped to ID, MT, WA, OR, & CA Desert

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by NSFW, Sep 2, 2020.

1. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Day 14, 2020.06.30, Lauirier (Kettle Falls) - Lake Chelan
    upload_2020-9-7_19-51-10.png

spent the night at North Lake RV Park and Campground. it was drizzling the night before and not wanting to set up a tent, i opted for the cabin. really nice for $50/night; tent camping was $30
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

since i don't have to rush, took my time and walked towards Kettle River and get some exercise
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

found a nicer map at the front office and studied the surrounding. so many places to go in all direction, but my main consideration is ride away from the dark clouds and rain.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Town of Republic
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the rain finally caught up with me
    [​IMG]

then it was dry again when i reached Tonasket
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Day 14 continuation

after lunch, i decided to ride southeast to Coulee Dam via Omak on hwy 155
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

while on hwy 155, i see dark clouds towards Coulee Dam. this needs a change in plan.
    [​IMG]

so i turned around and back on hwy 97 south
    [​IMG]

start seeing apple farms
    [​IMG]

apple processing factory
    [​IMG]

took the high road
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

then to Lake Chelan State Park Campground. no tag on the post so i assumed it's available and paid for it
    [​IMG]

later a young couple came and claiming they reserved it. either someone removed the official reserve tag or the state park never put it up. they don't want to argue and called a park official to clarify the situation. the park employee politely suggested he would give me a nice spot and it has grass. he will also help me moved my gear. no problem and i appreciated it.

close to the lake, which is not bad until around 6 am the next morning someone fired up his powerboat and be selfish. i see a lot of this type on the Colorado River.
    [​IMG]

Lake Chelan
    [​IMG]
  3. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just catching up through day 13 and have enjoyed all the updates, though incredibly sad about the rider you met in MT passing after a vehicle crossed his path. What a horrific thing to have happen, especially with a wife and daughter :( :(.

You've covered tons of ground @NSFW, can't believe you rode through Colville and up to the Border. A couple buddies and I did a Canadian ride many years ago (when I was still riding street) and stayed in Colville for the night before heading a bit further east and crossing at Nelway (hope you don't mind me posting a pic...this is from 2010 :eekers)

[​IMG]

Look forward to seeing what's on page 4, gonna head there now and hope it's filled with good stuff :thumb
  4. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Day 15, 2020.07.01, Lake Chelan - Winthrop WA

not wanting to go south which could mean closer to home. i called @Shady Pass David and asked for recommendations, and his advise is ride over to the North Cascades National Park. the distance is short though i could push farther which means a later arrival would be more difficult to find a campground.

upload_2020-9-7_22-7-12.png

but first, i need to do my laundry in town
    [​IMG]

afterwards, rode towards the dam
    [​IMG]

Azwell Wells Dam
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

damn....lots of dam in the PNW
    [​IMG]

an turbine blade on display that was removed from the site
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

saving salmon
    [​IMG]

saving the past
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

back on the hwy 97 north
    [​IMG]

then to hwy 153 north, road narrows and more apple orchards
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

that's an expensive sweet corn
    [​IMG]
  5. NSFW

Oddometer:

Brad. yes, that's sad we lost a rider caused by someone's lack of attention. i'm sure the driver is having mental anguish and dealing with moral responsibilities. i wouldn't know what to do if i am in his position. insurance will only pay so much and i have to sell my assets to cover the rest. hope no jail time.

i can cover more miles in a day but finding a campground at the end of the day will be tougher. besides, i have no real plan and plenty of time in my hand. riding an Africa Twin with DCT, it makes my mind focus more on the road and occasionally gives me the chance to take pictures with my left hand.

please do not hesitate to post pics, it's another way of seeing more places from another person's perspective.
    OneAUout, liv2day, Amphib and 5 others like this.
  6. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Day 15 continuation

i made it to Winthrop and stopped here for supplies. i also asked where to find campgrounds and was directed to the hill above
    [​IMG]

this town has the old west appeal which is cool, and to tourists with lot bigger budget than mine
    [​IMG]

RVs everywhere
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

first place i went requires reservation
    [​IMG]

then the road becam gravel
    [​IMG]

again, it's reservation only. all the following pictures are from google
    [​IMG]

nice campground but no walk-ins.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

i turned around and rode back to Winthrop and check out the few campgrounds before entering town.

to be continued
  7. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Day 15 continuation

i backtracked to the last campground before town which is KOA. i heard they cost more but i need a place to camp. i don't have time to look for cheap c.g.
    [​IMG]

got a nice site for $54 i think after i joined the club
    [​IMG]

and my iphone works
    [​IMG]

able to do wash the clothes i was wearing
    [​IMG]

the river below
    [​IMG]

don't sleep walk or try to pee too close to the river
    [​IMG]
  8. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    When I go through Winthrop I always stop and get ice cream, everything else is too expensive for my budget.

Finding camping this year has been a bugger. Before this year even if I planned to motel I always carry my camping gear just in case since finding has been easy to come by until now. This year motels are easy to come by and the rates are less than normal.

I'm still enjoying your report. It's fun to see my playground through someone else's eyes.
  9. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Day 16, 2020.07.02, Winthrop - Bay View/Anacortes
    upload_2020-9-8_11-9-34.png

the town was still asleep when i left
    [​IMG]

hwy 20, the road is in great condition and scenic
    [​IMG]

North Cascade National Park
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

at the vista point, took a short break
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

a reminder
    [​IMG]

parked next to a cool camper mini-bus
    [​IMG]

to be continued
  10. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Day 16 continuation

power transmission lines carrying the electricity to the cities
    [​IMG]

cool little tunnel
    [​IMG]

nice background for a selfie...me, me, me
    [​IMG]

another bridge and made of steel
    [​IMG]

pulled into the visitor's parking lot and i see the cool mini-bus camper again
    [​IMG]

went back to the bridge on foot
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

down below
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Day 16 continuation

on the hwy again, this tunnel is almost identical to the previous, except longer
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

series of small waterfalls
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

at the bottom of the Cascade is this little town
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

this reminds me of a Cross-Cut Training offered to us by the US Forest Service in our local forest. it is required in the Wilderness Area since no power saw are allowed. i opted out since it is very physically demanding.
    [​IMG]
  12. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Day 16 continuation

made it to Bay View and luckily, there are still a few sites available. next to my site are 2 skinheads and one of them is friendly. never bothered me and they were quiet. the friendly one offered their site to me since they're about to leave. he said it's better because the ground is flat. i said thanks and after they left, i moved in.

[​IMG]

there was still plenty of daylight so i went for a short ride to nearby LA Conner out of curiousity
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tough time for the meat business and have to turned into a boutique store
    [​IMG]

the atmosphere is quaint and nice to see the old mom & pop buildings are restored
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this one in bad shape
    [​IMG]

that bridge got my attention
    [​IMG]

so i rode up
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

looking back where i stood
    [​IMG]

the other side is the Swinomish Reservation
    [​IMG]

not long i went back to camp to enjoy the rest of the day
  13. TownPump

TownPump Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spectacular scenery and wonderful photos! So fun to see.

With so many photos taken while on the move, how do you do it? And what camera are you using to get them? Is it on a lanyard, in your tank bag? Putting the bike on cruise control?

Excellent clarity and color.
  14. NSFW

Oddometer:
    thanks for chiming in and the glad you like the pictures.

i use a lanyard made by Keybak and as far as i can remember since 2009. it is attached to the left harness of my backpack so that when i pull it out, it doesn't cross over to my chest or neck.
    [​IMG]

there are many versions and they all look identical, except for the retraction forces. mine is the 20 oz, strong enough to keep my camera retracted when not in use. it is still strong and no worry about the chord breaking. the company claims it's good for at least 1 million pulls.

RETRACTION FORCES AVAILABLE

• Stainless Chain retraction force holds up to 8 oz. and has a 24" reach
    • Heavy Duty retraction force holds up to 8 oz. and has a 48" reach
    • Super Duty retraction force holds up to 13 oz. and has a 36" reach
    • Xtreme Duty retraction force holds up to 20 oz. and has a 28" reach
    another plus is they are Made in the USA in California
    [​IMG]

as for camera, i always use Olympus Tough TG Series. my first was TG4 which i broke the rear screen due to a crash but still functional. the current is TG5 which also survived a few crashes and many drops resulting in broken zoom control and cracked rear screen. , not the latest model, now it's TG6 which i will get when it goes on sale. one crash has to do with not paying attention to the road and taking photos. i learned the hard way.

riding a bike with an automatic clutch makes it easier. the left hand is always free other than for steering or hanging for my dear life, operating the turn signals and horn. once i rode for 2 days after i woke up with an arthritic left arm.

be safe when using it while on the bike. study the road ahead and surrounding before pulling out the camera.
  15. NSFW

Oddometer:
    haha...my planned budget is to average $50/day if i stay in campgrounds and didn't take long for a reality check. LOL, so i bumped it up to $70/day, but good luck finding a nice campground with available space. i give up the grass, the shade, the view, a level ground....just give me a damn small patch of dirt, and still LOL. camping has grown to an ultra-competitive sport and expensive way to relax.

nevertheless, OR and WA have the best campground i have seen so far. many have water spigots that are potable. for instance, WA has an on line reservation which is great for residents of the state. i booked once, and i got charged $10 for being non-resident and $8 or $12 processing fee. the tent site was $31 but in the end, i paid at least $49 per night. then add the Discover Pass, plus some places won't let me use the restroom unless i pay the Day Use Fee.

anyway, why fight it? so i increased my budget to $100/day and never worried about the cost. the whole trip is to relax and contribute to the state's economy....:lol3
  16. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    PNW is one of the few places left in the US I haven't done much exploring. Loving the RR!
    NSFW and Chillis like this.
  17. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Mark, thanks, and glad you enjoy it.

if you want to do it, i plan to go back and do some backcountry exploration of OR and WA. it could be next year.
    AllSeasonRider and Chillis like this.
  18. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Day 18, 2020.07.04, Bay View-Anacortes-Orcas Island

i like the campground so much that i booked on-line for 2 more nights. walk-ins can only stay for 1-night.

the weather was looking nice so i thought it will be a good day to take the ferry to Orcas Island, one of San Juan Islands. i rode to Anacortes and looked for the ferry terminal.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

there was already a long line of vehicles waiting to board
    [​IMG]

there's a line for moto and obviously, i'm the first and in front. the rate for motorcycle is $20 rt (if you are in the concession group), while cars are at least double.
    [​IMG]

never had this privilege here in the states
    [​IMG]

not long, more bikes showed up and good thing one of them is a local to the island. we chat while waiting. he gave me tips on roads and places to go, get gas and eat.

when it's time to board the ferry, i let them ahead of me so i can learn and not hold up anyone.
    [​IMG]

many of the ferries i took are big and we have to ride up on a steep ramp. this one is easier.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

all drivers are required to stay inside their vehicles throughout the duration of the ferry ride, except for motorcyclist, cyclist and those walking.
    [​IMG]

the view from the deck
    [​IMG]

we passed many islands on our way to Orcas Island
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

to be continued
  19. BiggieFalls

BiggieFalls b00b

Oddometer:
    I wish there was a way to travel for $50 a day. I usually spend about $30 just on gas. Add a little bit of food and water and it doesn’t leave much for anything else. I’d have to sleep on park benches.
    black 8 and Chillis like this.
  20. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In Nevada with our expanse of BLM land you can toss the tent down all over without dropping a dime!