not suitable for work, then COVID came and i escaped to ID, MT, WA, OR, & CA Desert

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by NSFW, Sep 2, 2020.

1. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Day 18 continuation

once we disembarked at the terminal, i studied the island at a glance then rode to Deer Harbor based on earlier recommendation. it was a fun road except it dead ends.

[​IMG]

Eastsound is the main town, there i stopped for lunch and parking was easy for me, but impossible for 4 wheeled vehicles to find a spot.
    [​IMG]

i had an El Salvadorian burrito......:oscar
    [​IMG]

afterwards rode up to Mt. Constitution which is the highest point on the island. the view is just amazing!
    [​IMG]

the pano version
    [​IMG]

then to the other end of the island and stopping along the way
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

i think this is in Rosario
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

not really a lot of riding on the island, and about 3 miles of gravel road. it was very quiet and a great place to relax. i went back to the terminal early so i don't miss the next ferry.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

awesome craftmanship!
    [​IMG]

the ferry left the dock while i enjoy the view
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

i didn't know this ferry will stop at the 2 neighboring islands which is great and i will see more
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

not sure what to make of the sign? the locals just have a good sense of humor or unique artistry or symbolize something
    [​IMG]

the other ferry
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

next stop is Lopez Island
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

only one moto!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

went back to the bike so i can get ready when we hit the mainland
    [​IMG]

i always wonder what's out there and how people live in the San Juan Islands. wasn't bad for a day ride! next time, i would love to visit the other islands.
  2. BiggieFalls

BiggieFalls b00b

Oddometer:
    I think you can dispersed camp on all BLM lands and in all national forests unless otherwise posted, but if you don’t end up in those areas, your options get much more expensive. And at some point, even I will need to bathe. Definitely keeps costs down though.
    Thumpercrazee, NSFW and Chillis like this.
  3. BiggieFalls

BiggieFalls b00b

Oddometer:
    Joel, were you lucky enough to see any actual orcas or any whales or dolphins while you were there? The pictures look great.
    Chillis likes this.
  4. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know that nearly all the "official" CGs in my neck of the woods have been overrun with people thanks to this damn pandemic - more and more people have flooded the wilderness as they're not going beyond local. Personally, I'm not a fan as what I've seen is that most do not respect nature nor believe in leaving no trace. That last part drives me seriously nucking futs and one of the reasons I'm not a huge fan of the general population - I hate people who leave their trash behind after camping, etc. Anyway, rant over.

You're allowed to disperse camp most anywhere in the national forests - did you look into possible spots for that? I know a set CG is nice as far as facilities, but dispersed camping is free :D :D

And I'm with @Chillis - free camping on BLM land is one of my favorites and a huge reason why I love riding over in SE Oregon.

In any event, really enjoyed the last couple updates @NSFW, bringing back some great memories of a different ride where we went through Sedro-Wooley as well as another trip a long time ago where we rented a boat and chugged around the San Juans for 5 days - truly beautiful up there.
    NSFW, AllSeasonRider and Chillis like this.
  5. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing this RR Joel, enjoying all the great pics and narrative! Only so much WebEx meetings one can take without a break for some motorcycle travel pictures. Thanks!
    NSFW likes this.
  6. NSFW

Oddometer:

i have done a lot of dispersed camping back in my 4-wheeling days and it's the way to enjoy the outdoors for free. i had enough fuel, food and water to last a week. a place void of noise and careless tourists with their toys is hard to find nowadays. the worse the road condition, the better, though no guarantee it will filter some crazy/ignorant people, like driving a Toyota Camry up on South Pass or a Honda CR-V on Lippencott (both places are in Death Valley).

the PNW is new to me and i don't know where to find the good remote camping area. people told me just to ride into the forest until i find a nice spot. lol. local knowledge i don't have. the biggest drawback is being on a fully-loaded big bike. it's way too heavy for most dispersed camping. weight-wise, it will be even heavier since i have to bring more water and food. i'm not a hard-core adventure rider and physically fit just like my hero - Lyndon Poskitt. i don't want to take a chance, particularly in a remote and unfamiliar place with absolutely no idea of the road condition. if the bike takes a nap or i crash resulting to injury (not the best time) or having a mechanical/electrical failure then i will be in a pickle. i carry a spot tracker and satt phone, but even those are a little help. i have my tracking on a 15-minute interval, and it had a hard time finding a satellite in the forest and by the time the signal went through, 30 minutes or so had elapsed. the same with the satt phone, i have to find a very large clearing to make a call, then oftentimes the conversation will break.

honestly, i think the risk is not worth the $ savings and the mini-adventure. also unlikely but could happen is running into wild animals, i carry a bear spray but i heard it's not very effective.

lastly, i could not agree more, disperse camping beats being in a developed campground. i can do it solo on a small and reliable bike or on the big bike with 2 or more riders along.

talking about people leaving their trash, i have a hard time understanding it. for ex., there's a very nice area above the California Coast with an awesome view, we dispersed camp there a couple of times and we really enjoyed it. last time we went, the place is littered with TP and the smell was bad. it only takes a few to ruin it for all and the future enjoyment of that prime location.
  7. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    Trash has been getting bad everywhere. The local hiking and MTB trails here have gotten much more beat up with all of the added use than usually happens in a season - I suspect there's lots of n00bs on MTBs that just drag the rear brake down the hill, tearing up the trail and ripping rocks out of the ground. (Even worse when they pile rocks to prevent people from taking the "wrong" line... dude, just because you can't ride that line doesn't mean no one can...) I've also noticed an increase in garbage on the side of trails - plastic bottles, masks, gloves, tissues and TP just out in the open. We also have a pump track and a few dirt jump lines at a local park and, despite garbage cans all over the place, the park's Instagram account is full of photos of trash laying all over the place. A recent one even had trash tossed onto the roof of one of the pavilions with a garbage can right next to it. The sad part is many of people contributing to the problem are the same ones who would have had no issue spending a Saturday parked in front of their iPad, but then lockdown hit and everyone decided they were an outdoors enthusiast.

People are slobs. Enjoy it while you still can.
  8. NSFW

Oddometer:
    lol...my bike doesn't get decent fuel mileage even if the DCT is set on economy mode. i typically spend $15/day on gas if it's less than 200-mile ride.

$50/day is a wet dream...$70 is possible if i eat cheap and less healthy meals. also noticed that restaurant food is more $ than the pre-covid days. i totally understand and still support them.

usually there are sightings of Orcas but didn't see any, nor the chance to see Shamu in San Diego SeaWorld.

San Juan Island (90 miles north of Seattle) is the best place for orca whale watching as we are located in the heart of Salish Sea. Orca whales range through the San Juan Islands the most between May and October when the Salmon runs are strongest, although we do have sightings throughout the year. You can expect to see Orca Whales on the vast majority of our tours from around mid May through mid October and to a lesser extent in March, April and late October. Faster boats, flexible trip duration, and our departure location help ensure that our sightings are as high as, or higher than, any company in the area. Also, keep in mind that the Orca whales we see do travel completely out of the area, out to the Pacific Ocean, from time to time throughout the season and that every year is different depending upon what is happening in the ecosystem. We also regularly see Humpback Whales and Minke Whales.

thanks Brad. definitely, the San Juans is enjoyable on a boat and having a bicycle to ride on the island is great too.

thanks Roger for following along. it will be hard to forget your adv handle, knowing we rode towards Goler Wash at the nOObs rally, you were riding a WR250R and then seeing you again in San Ignacio with Wiley (Mondo Hondo) while racing the Mex 1k on a quad. also, i remember you moved to the east coast, hope you're safe and still finding the time to ride. take care.
    BiggieFalls, fastring and Chillis like this.
  9. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I did camp I'd be doing what you do.

When I am off-roading throughout Nevada, Utah, and back country areas in CA I see a lot of folks just setting up in the middle of nowhere. Always romanticized the idea of dispersed camping but having a shower has always been a requirement for the day to day so the hotel/motel has reigned supreme.

To do a trip like yours, Joel, that would be hugely cost prohibitive to stay at hotels the whole way.
    NumberCruncher likes this.
  10. NSFW

Oddometer:

i just paid off my CC for the 2 months i was away.....hard to believe it adds up. also had $1500 in cash, and only $400 remains. now, to recoup i need to sell all the gear that i won't be using, new and used on the flea market, lots of moto parts as well. not having a wife and kids, my spending is out of control in the last 12 months. constantly reminding myself that i am unemployed. i admit not having the discipline on how to budget. my only justification is to do it while i can.
    Folgore, MrKiwi, snglfin and 8 others like this.
  11. NSFW

Oddometer:
    2020.07.03, Day 17, Bay View Campground (Samish Bay)

i edited the previous post to Day 18 after i realized on Day 17, July 3rd i didn't go anywhere other than hanging out in camp.

so here's Day 17th which ended up as a rest day

picture of the campground looking towards Samish Bay
    [​IMG]

from the beach, looking towards Anacortes. pictures may have been taken from another day, added here to get a feel what the place looks like
    [​IMG]

lots of oyster shells on the beach. didn't try to check them out if they're still alive. looks dead to me.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

in one of those sites, i got in a conversation with a beautiful nice woman from Seattle camping with her 2 kids. she saw the CA plate on my bike and mentioned that she used to go to Hermosa Beach and now she missed it. she was very friendly (and attractive). that lengthy conversation made me forget that i have to go riding....:rofl
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

walked in the forest for a little exercise
    [​IMG]

right after sunset
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Day 18 continuation (rewind)

random pics from my GoPro on Orcas Island. hardly any roadside attraction, this island is best on a pedal bike.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. misanthropic

misanthropic Zero

Oddometer:
    Well done. Thanks for taking the time to post.
    NSFW likes this.
  14. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Day 19, 2020.07.05 - Chuckanut, Bellingham and Surrounding

a day before, i met a local and recommended i ride to Chuckanut Rd which is along the coast
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the rain had spoiled the fun
    [​IMG]

made it to Bellingham, the city hall in the background
    [​IMG]

i like boat and shipyards
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

mex for lunch. many dining tables were taped off such that there's an empty one between 2 tables.
    [​IMG]

senor y senora tamales
    [​IMG]

camarones combo
    [​IMG]

this time, Chuckanut is not as slick as earlier
    [​IMG]

on the way back, i stopped at a roadside store for fresh fruits and cookies
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

no Costco price here
    [​IMG]

not a lot today, but looking forward to another ride tomorrow.
  15. NSFW

Oddometer:
    thanks misanthropic for chiming in

have to google your handle......and fits in the present situation....:hmmmmm

mis·an·throp·ic
    /ˌmis(ə)nˈTHräpik/
    adjective
    1. disliking humankind and avoiding human society.
      "a misanthropic drunken loner"
  16. NSFW

Oddometer:
    First time posting vids from my Smugmug account. noisy background and i still have to figure out how to fix it.

Orcas Island Vids. Double click and it should play in high-res.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    flying.moto, MrKiwi, snglfin and 5 others like this.
  17. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    They played. :thumb
    NSFW and Chillis like this.
  18. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I forgot to add on my prior post that it would be hugely cost prohibitive to stay at hotels the whole way.

For how much ground you covered you did it right, IMO.
    live2ridetahoe and NSFW like this.
  19. NSFW

Oddometer:
  20. BiggieFalls

BiggieFalls b00b

Oddometer:
    The guy in the Ram in the second video couldn’t find a way to not cross into your lane on a straight section of highway after already passing three riders? What a dick.
    Chillis likes this.