not suitable for work, then COVID came and i escaped to ID, MT, WA, OR, etc.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by NSFW, Sep 2, 2020.

1. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap

now i know, thanks a lot!

i would do it if Jim was with me. being solo and no hiking shoes, my mind is entertaining other scenarios.....:rofl

https://advrider.com/f/threads/pushing-the-boundaries-solo-adventure-riding.1476078/
    Wierdrider likes this.
  2. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I probably wouldn’t ride it by myself on the WeeStrom
  3. DR Da-da

DR Da-da Infrequent Member

Oddometer:
    Great RR(s) - thanks for taking us along! They serve as great mental vacations until I can actually get out on the bike and get lost.

Also, nice stable of bikes! How have you enjoyed your 701? I’m seriously considering updating from my ‘07 DR-650 to either a 690 or 701. However, all the reports of excessive oil consumption with the LC4 make me hesitant. Have you had any issues?
    NSFW likes this.
  4. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Echo that. I rode it 3 weeks ago -up- no worse than what we rode Weds. just steeper. No concern at all on the 1200’s.
  5. NSFW

Oddometer:
    a situation like that, it makes us value the company of another rider or riders.

Kelly....the Wednesday ride is not a walk in the park, and you can ride your pig like a thumper.....:ricky

after i got to the other end of Cedar Creek TT, there are several vehicles parked at the trailhead, which means there would be hikers/mtb'ers on the truck trail.

pretty sure this person rode from the opposite end
    [​IMG]

thanks for chiming in and glad you enjoy the read.

i like big singles, owned a KTM 640A, 640E, and currently a BMW G650 XCo and the 701. also have an XR400. they are all good bikes but the 701 is the best one. it's a 2018 model with a livelier and smoother engine; lots of torque too. so far only issue is the well-known clutch slave cylinder failure, which incidentally KTM/Husqvarna is not aware there's a problem. when it was brand new, i ignored the talk, and then it happened at 300 odo miles in the middle of the NV desert....:baldy

none of my LC4s and the 701 showed low oil. as a precaution, i checked the level before a ride.

the 2020 model has traction control, which i now embraced the technology mainly due to riding my Africa Twin. there's also the LR model that has a bigger fuel tank. i have to add an aftermarket aux fuel tank to improve my fuel range, otherwise, i'm limited to about 140 miles.
  6. NSFW

Oddometer:
    didn't want to deal with the uncertainty on Cedar Creek TT, i went back to the pavement and rode through Inaja Indian Reservation which took me to Boulder Creek Rd (southern section).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

just me and my bike with the abs turned off, i had fun going in corners
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the other end (white truck) of Cedar Creek TT, and the Three Sisters Trailhead
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it just kept on going
    [​IMG]

then pavement took over and i was surprised to see a rider behind me
    [​IMG]

at Descanso, i decided to take hwy 79 back to Julian
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

big sweepers got me entertained
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

i was craving for an apple pie but not here in Julian where it seems business is normal
    [​IMG]

stopped in Santa Ysabel where the bakery is less crowded, saw no more than a dozen customers while i ate
    [​IMG]

it was another great day of riding and rewarded myself not just with a pie but an apple cider too
    [​IMG]

thought the pie and cider i had were from a local farm......:lol3
    [​IMG]

though i have another 2 days left here in east San Diego, i decided just to go on a staycation at my rented place. this trip goes in the books as one of my best days of riding, very thankful to @tubebender, @Zubb, @Wierdrider and @Mr.JAJA for their friendly company; without them won't be the same. would love to meet more inmates but due to the current pandemic, we have to limit our contacts.

for those looking for a place to go this winter, east SD is sparsely populated and the riding is great. the little towns kept its western character and simple charms.

even for a week, glad i managed to get away from the big city where the situation is not getting any better. not looking forward to go home since i will be back into self-isolation. i can always plan for the next long trip.
    Zubb, Smidty, HandCanonShootr and 9 others like this.
  7. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great report and pictures. Now you know why I spent 12 winters in Borrego, and can head out for a day in any direction for adventure. I can see a lot of the trails have changed, some smoother , some rougher!
    Zubb, Wierdrider and NSFW like this.
  8. DSchmidt7of7

DSchmidt7of7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow.... You've got some serious vision skills to pick my bald ass out of a crowd. Yes I did ride the 2019 Geico Julian Rally. We actually came in 3rd overall and had a great time doing it. The truth is I really had no hope of doing well cuz I was paired with a noob on a 1250 and another guy on a VStrom. But somehow we managed to keep moving and we were only stopped by a burned-out clutch on the way to the "arch" at truck haven.

Long story short, it was a very well-run scavenger hunt type of event that included a great map of about 100 points of interest for the area and a guidebook with clue/descriptions. The terrain varied from street to deep sand, some rocky spots and few "oh-sheet" sections to keep things interesting. All together we covered a VERY large area from Palomar Mountain/Julian down to Tecate, northeast to Slab City/Salton Sea, Anza Borrego and a bunch of places in between. I think that there were a couple hundred riders that participated for some, or all, of the three days.

And oh, Did I tell you I was riding the same old clapped out 35,000 mile 2015 KLR you've all seen me on? (Something about the "Indian vs the arrow" comes to mind... :hmmmmm)

Hope to catch you guys on the trail sometime and you're always welcome at the "desert house".

'Ride often and ride safe"

Dennis (DSchmidt7of7)
    BiggieFalls, Wierdrider and NSFW like this.
  9. NSFW

Oddometer:
    thanks eaglescan for riding along and i appreciate the comments.

sorry, the 13th winter didn't happen i suppose due to the border closure.

i am really thankful we have a lot of great riding areas here in CA.

damn Dennis, even after you took a handicap, you guys did great. it's not the bikes, but the spirit to succeed that makes things happen.

i rode last week with tubebender and he was on his heavily modified KLR, didn't take long......i was very impressed.
    Wierdrider and eaglescan like this.
  10. DSchmidt7of7

DSchmidt7of7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Apologies to all in advance for the thread hijack, but it's a story worth telling.

More than on most rides I've done over the years, the "Spirit of Adventure" was running strong in my teammates throughout that rally. Not the best equipped (by far), but they carried two of the most important ingredients - tenacity and a positive attitude. Afterward, when I was telling the story to a friend, he stopped me mid-stream and said that the rally was probably the pinnacle of the other guys riding careers. We guessed that the motley crew didn't quit because they couldn't. And like any good war story "There we were... in the middle of nowhere.... deep in a gully with no cell service and miles of sand away from solid ground. We only had what we brought and ourselves to depend on.

So when the VStrom finally died, we drank some water, I dug the tow strap out of my bag and did my best John Wayne impression and said "OK Pilgrims, here's where the adventure begins...". (Keep in mind that neither of these guys had ever seen a motorcycle being towed.) It safe to say that "reasonable doubt" was deeper than the sand on this one, but we found a way to make it happen. Later on I gave the VStrom rider my tow strap as a trophy... for the next time.

Looking back, it would have been nice to have pictures. Yet, perhaps, some things are best described in words.

Ride on pilgrims!!!
  11. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Dennis. with your patience, skill and ability to motivate, you make a good mentor and a gift to the less skilled riders and riding community.
    Wierdrider likes this.