not sure what to do

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Trevinator, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Trevinator

Trevinator n00b

Oddometer:
    i currently have a versys 650 that is strictly road going. i was contemplating getting a tiger 800 xca, but im not so sure anymore. i really want a bike with cruise control for the daily commute/touring and the xca has that, but then so does the tracer 900 gt. i say the tracer because i absolutely LOVE the sound and power that engine makes! (rode an fj-09 at americade a couple years back) i really have my heart set on getting my hands on a bike with that oh so sweet cp3 engine, but i also want to be able to do some offroad. i have seen the fj-09 for reasonable prices, and its easy enough to add mccruise to one. so i was thinking of buying an older fj-09 and then also getting a more dirt worthy bike like an xr650l for the dirt. what would you guys do?
  2. MonkeyBut

MonkeyBut Fuel Whore

Oddometer:
    Tracer GT and another more dirt orientated bike. That triple is a gem!! Yamaha reliability. And 2 motorcycles are always better than one.
    Suncoaster likes this.
  3. Trevinator

Trevinator n00b

Oddometer:
    i think its going to be a 2016 silver fj-09 and add mccruise cruise control to it with a factory switch. can be had for about $7500-8000. then i'll pick up a dual sport. REALLY like this color! oh, and an akropovic pipe. the one i rode at americade had that pipe and it sent shivers down my spine with every twist of the grip!

[​IMG]
    Suncoaster likes this.
  4. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    Nice bike, and yes best colour scheme
  5. Trevinator

Trevinator n00b

Oddometer:
    well, that escalated fast...... a local dealer had this gem sitting in their showroom.

[​IMG]

less than 700 miles on a 2017. already has the radiator screen and some knobby tires for a little dirt road action and a scorpion slip on. went to look at it and decided i like it and the color (blue is my favorite). so i went back home, got my snowmobile that i wont ride again since i lost all my riding buddies, and went to get it appraised. got about what i was expecting for the sled and we made a deal on a number! now i just have to go visit my credit union and get the moneys to bring this baby home! going to end up paying about $7200 before interest, so not too bad!

i may swap out the exhaust for the full akropovic, but i have not heard this exhaust in person yet, so thats still up in the air. but im already planning on the mccruise cruise control setup for it, along with a set of src crash bars and a skid plate of some sort (need recommendations here!). i want to be able to take her down a dirt road if i want to without worrying too much. i will also likely change out the seat to something more comfy.

so excited to FINALLY have this bike! i like the 2016 color, but i really like the blue on this 2017 as well (blue is my favorite color anyways)! i was pleasantly surprised at the insurance cost on this bike. when it first came out i got a quote of like $1600 for a year! but now its only $45 a month, which is only $25 more than my versys. and the payment will only be about $15 more than my versys was, so for about $40 more a month its TOTALLY worth buying! then this summer, i'll sell or trade my versys for a dual sport and have a bike strictly for offroad explorations. why can't it be spring time yet!!!
  6. Jeffo

Jeffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great bikes. I had the Tracer 9 for a few years until it got wrote off. Decided to get a naked street bike, but had to have that engine again, so bought the XSR.
    That Scorpion exhaust may be a full system. There isn't a break in the oe exhaust, so it would have to be cut to put a slip on on there. If it is a full system, i wouldn't change it, full system Akro is a lot of bucks.
  7. Trevinator

Trevinator n00b

Oddometer:
    definitely doesnt look like the full scorpion exhaust system as it still has the cross pipes on the header where the scorpion does not. if it sounds good then i'll keep it on there. i think it was the yoshimura exhaust on the fz-09 that i liked so much.
  8. Jeffo

Jeffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is the cat still there underneath, you cant miss it if it is, its the size of a bread bin.
  9. Trevinator

Trevinator n00b

Oddometer:
    i dont have it home yet, so i can't take a close look at it, but it definitely doesnt have the huge can under it.
  10. Suncoaster

Suncoaster Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where the girls are green and the grass is pretty.
    Needs a beak !
    Seriously, a beak helps break up the awful buffeting with the stock screen.

Does the sump have the drain plug on the bottom or side ?
    Higdonian do a sump guard, but I have an ebay one: "Sump Guard TRACER 900".
  11. Trevinator

Trevinator n00b

Oddometer:
    the drain plug is on the side. thats actually the FIRST thing i looked at! i want to get a skid plate for it, but not sure what one. it needs to be able to work with the src crash bars i want to get for it.
  12. Jeffo

Jeffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If the cat isn't there, its either a full aftermarket system, or the oe pipes have been cut before the cat and a link pipe has been fabricated to fit to the Scorpion can.
  13. Trevinator

Trevinator n00b

Oddometer:
    it must be that the oem pipe was cut to fit the scorpion slip on. the scorpion full exhaust has separate headers where the one im getting has the oem cross tubes on the header. doesnt matter to me as long as it sounds good!