Not Sure Where to Put This....Bike for Wifey?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Glen1978, Jun 25, 2020.

1. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd be curious what she really wants. Has she looked around, got on some bikes? What does she want, not what we want her to want. Otherwise the KLX690 would win by a landslide. :lol3

Moderators should move this thread to the women's forum and give the OP permission to enter. Either way, get feed back from women, not us guys! After all, who should have better input for a woman to buy a bike than another woman?
    AwDang likes this.
  2. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    OP should not have permission to enter the women’s forum. His wife will be more than welcome to participate in the forum after confirmation. IMO.

At 5’10 the bike world is her oyster. She can ride practically anything. I had opportunity to sit on the new 700 tenere. The shop guys laughed when they saw both my legs dangling a good 4 to 6 inches above the ground. Waaaaay to tall for me. But the seat is narrow at the front and the cockpit felt great.

Those 2 things I noticed right away.

for reference I am about 5’2 ish with a short inseam. Like 29. The world is NOT my oyster!
  3. markk53

Oddometer:
    Whatever, the key is getting her in touch with others of like mind instead of what "the guys" say.
  4. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agree, apologies if I came across a bit dick-ish,wasn’t my intention.

carry on!
    markk53 and Traxx like this.
  5. nwbobber

nwbobber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My wife is a bit shorter, and she can flatfoot her F650GS. She can't pick it up after it decides to take a nap though, but if she was riding with another gal, they could do it together. I think these bikes are just over 70hp, do freeway speeds just fine. She likes hers, and you can pick one up fairly cheap. F700gs is basically the same bike.
  6. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    No offense intended but whenever I read someone saying things like "bike for wifey" and "I started her out on..." it makes me think that you are not on a path to success here. It reminds me of the time I decided to teach my wife how to ski better....

You got a new KTM 1290 but you think that even a smaller used KTM is too expensive for her. Think about that for a moment.

And then there's this: "She's scared and kinda refuses to ride with me on the 1290." I think maybe there's a bit too much pressure going on.

If you want this to work I think you should back way off and give her room to make her own decisions. Sure, you probably know more about motorcycles and can offer good advice but if this is going to work, she's probably going to have to make her own choices on this.
    T-34 and ZoomerP like this.
  7. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    You were not too dickish. No need to apologize to anyone.

I think that the idea of giving a guy access to the women's forum so he could communicate with women on behalf of his wife Is a bit off the mark. But I assume that the guy who suggested this did so in good faith.
    neanderthal likes this.
  8. markk53

Oddometer:
    Yeah, actually I don't have a problem with any of the comments. My thought was that she could go in on his account, didn't think she could make her own account. Duh!

I will say some guy pushing the issues with is now ex-girlfriend got my brother a heck of a deal on a 2019 trials bike. Somehow this woman ends up with a new trials bike outfitted with knobbies and the extra seat attachment. Sure we may think it's a good set up, but in application a KLX140 would be twenty times better. Think trials gear box and general ergos.

They break up, she's moving to Florida and my brother gets a less half price trials bike with 42 miles on it in pristine condition!

Get Wifie set up with an ADVrider account then get her in touch with other women for some advice from those with some empathy. If she really doesn't want to do that is she really enthusiastic about riding?
  9. Nosotros Racing

Nosotros Racing Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    WeeStrom
  10. nbsdave

nbsdave Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    CB500X, doesn't have to be a 2019.
    The 2016-2018 are darn decent
  11. Glen1978

Glen1978 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dang been up in the mountains and just seeing all the replies. No we havent been to look at anything. Just getting some ideas of what to look at. I showed her a video of the CB500X and her comment was...."it seems small.....Im not a little girl." Lol! Well ok. Maybe this weekend we can get out and look at some bikes.
  12. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    The 500X is a full size bike. If anything its likely larger than the KTM 790S....which I was surprised how small that bike actually was.
  13. Glen1978

Glen1978 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Havent seen the new 790 in person yet. She just needs to go look at them. I think at this point we would be Honda 500x, Vstrom, or Versys. Im a Honda fanboy but its gona be her bike.
  14. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    She's 5'10" and has experience... yep, she can ride whatever the hell she wants to ride.

I'll just say what I always say, which is "KLR" or "V-Strom" if you're cheap.

Maybe "Tiger" if you're slightly less cheap, and that would be somewhat closer in purpose to your KTM.

Or get a different KTM if you'd like to be pointy and orange together.

Or whatever pops up in the Flea Market halfway close.

Too bad there aren't going to be any motorcycle expos any time soon where one can view and slobber on a wide variety of machinery.
  15. gateman

gateman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bullshit. Really just bullshit.
    One of my very capable female ride mates that had bikes for decades is 5 10 and her stupid husband got her on a DR650 and she hated it. She persisted for about 40,000k so not like a quick spin round the block.This girls has ridden bikes for years and she was very clear. Its too tall a bike for her at 5 10.
  16. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    Good luck with this. Most guys shopping for a wife bike are in for a lot of strife. I certainly was.

My sympathies.
    Bucho likes this.
  17. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    Wow, total bullshit
  18. justdirtyfun

justdirtyfun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Regarding DR650. My wife is about 5' 2" and rode the shorter version of DR650.

BUT it was years in the making. Gradually went through building confidence and skills at her pace. ATV, XT225 then XT250 along with street bikes like a Fundero and Honda Magna. She was raised to want Harley but her Magna showed her the ergos don't provide control like ADV/dual sports do. She feels like we pulled her away from the XT250 a touch early but can't go back.

It's super cool your woman rides. Letting her decide but giving educated suggestions is the way to go. And honestly you made a bike choice that will add difficulties. Riding buddies need similar rides and skills. You have a rocketship. My choices while building her skills were always more aggressive, higher strung and potent. That left me feeling really held back and bike choice was a big part of that. Hell, if I had bought a DR650 way back, I would have synched with her 1000x better regardless of her bike.
    My 2 cents.
  19. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    See if she'd like a 701...
    It DOES tick a few boxes, if you think about it...

But, ultimately, it's what SHE wants.
  20. gateman

gateman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep OK your call.
    I know my ride mate very well.
    She is not bullshit. Probably has way more ride miles than most.

You have what one vidio.

I doo suspect this wife wanting a new bike rides better than you and I mate.
    Cheers