Not your Typical Harley Softail

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Bevelheadmhr, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Bevelheadmhr

Bevelheadmhr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rubbish pic, but the XL1250 was finished (for now) just in time to appear at a local show.. Next week having got a few miles on the new top end its going on the dyno.

show2 075.JPG
  2. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where did you get the wheels and swing arm? Tks.
  3. Bevelheadmhr

Oddometer:
    Swing arm is by Metchamex (a UK company) front wheel is from a KTM, while the rear is a HD hub with 17 inch alloy rim and stainless spokes from Central wheel Company.
  4. Bevelheadmhr

Oddometer:
    Here's a better photo of the XL1250 taken by the River Mersey today. It only made 65 bhp on the dyno a038ss.jpg with guestimated jetting, but it'll be going back on the dyno soon to get the fueling spot on.
  5. Wildebeest90210

Wildebeest90210 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    41mm FCR might be a good mod? I got 65RWHP from an 883-1200 conversion with the CV carb (200 main) and was pretty happy with that. Concerning the heads, are they stock Harley? My tuning guru said it is a waste of time trying to flow HD heads, just spend out on screaming eagle heads. My Buell motor made 70 which I knew was low so comp tested and found a bent exhaust valve, have you tested compression? (Grandmother, eggs etc....)
  6. Bevelheadmhr

Oddometer:
    The heads have been flowed and I think have bigger valves, but its still running with the original 883 cams which wont help the power. But then the aim is for low end torque rather than top end power. I prefer the Mikuni HSR42 myself, then again a rejetted CV carb may give the results he wants.
  7. Helibee

Helibee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    65hp for a 1250 (Hammer?) kit is WAY off for what it SHOULD be putting out. Those kits easily will make a 100hp with the right exhaust, cams and tuning. If I had spent the time and money obviously put into it, I’d be upset. Looks nice though....
  8. Bevelheadmhr

Oddometer:
    Indeed, but the owner owns a workshop complete with dyno, so I expect its going to evolve over the summer..
    Helibee likes this.
  9. norseXL

norseXL Northman

Oddometer:
    If your tuning guy says that..., time for a new tuning guy, at least for Sportsters...
    MATTY and Helibee like this.
  10. norseXL

norseXL Northman

Oddometer:
    With original cams my best bet with a good tune is 1 hp per qubic inch,
    these engines love cam, compresion and squish.
    My old four speed made 88 SAE with V9 innlets, V2 exhaust, 1200 valves, 1250 Hammer kit, home made tidying of the ports and a FCR off an Yamaha 426
  11. Wildebeest90210

Oddometer:
    My tuning guy says

bird_wind_tunnel_b.jpg

Would love to see what you can do with a stock HD head without a great deal of welding and many hours of work. Also looking forward to the softtail up-dates...
  12. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming Supporter

Oddometer:
    new muffler1.jpg My XB12s Buell with no mods other than a "Lattus replica" exhaust put 87 HP to the ground.
  13. norseXL

norseXL Northman

Oddometer:
    Sorry, was not meaning to offend, just thinking your tuner maybe are more of a four valve modern engine guy.
    When I need my heads done, I send them to Hammer,
    peace.
  14. Bevelheadmhr

Oddometer:
    The heads were done by this place www.fastlaneheadwork.co.uk/

You can see the heads briefly before they went on the motor here

The softail is pretty much done for this year, I want to ride it this summer before making anymore changes next winter. That said the one off alloy swing arm is coming along ok, which you can see the latest update here
    Wildebeest90210 likes this.
  15. Wildebeest90210

Oddometer:
    No offence taken at all, my tuner is a local legend from way back so I take his word but I will be looking to improve breathing on my bike next winter so any info welcome. And yes, the 41's I've used on my KTMs in the past so was mistaken, currently on a 42mm. I'm curiously attracted to a twin choke weber although it wouldn't suit my bike at all I've always liked them. Just watched video, intrigued by the 'brand new project that hasn't been started yet'.....
  16. Bevelheadmhr

Oddometer:
    I have a rigid 127 CI Evo drag bike that too loud for the local tracks and too big to run in NSA sprint events, so I'm thinking about having a new frame made and making a road bike out of it... but not till all my current project bikes are done. There's a video about it on page 2 of this thread.
  17. Bevelheadmhr

Oddometer:
    The home made alloy swing arm, which has become a mini project in itself, got welded today. Happy to report it all went ok, and now I have to decide if its worth adding the under braces to replicate those on the original steel version. Also need to decide on the finish... polished, powder coated or maybe anodised?

welding021.JPG welding025.JPG Welding036.JPG
  18. Wildebeest90210

Oddometer:
    Bracing always looks good and works. I've never had any luck anodising over welds, turns them a funny colour, not sure if there is a way round this? How about Cerakote https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/ a few people in the UK are doing it for bike applications, I'd like to get something done to see how good it is.
  19. Bevelheadmhr

Oddometer:
    Lots to consider when it comes to coating the swing arm, seems a shame to just powder coat it. Another option is this anodising/ceramic finish offered by CamCoat who are local to me.. diamondyze.co.uk/ But need to find out if it can be applied selectively, so that the areas milled out for the adjuster blocks can be left unfinished. I had the oil tank of the Evo finished in this stuff, its a semi matt finish and while no doubt hard wearing is also very thin, shows all the tiny marks in the steel beneath. While implies I'll have to polish the arm to remove all the small nicks and scratches before its coated... a lot of work.
  20. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    do you have a media tumbler guy around. a nice uniform bead blast, and then a session in the tumbler leaves a very nice sealed surface of the aluminum.

my guy here

blasts once to clean, once to color, then it goes into a tumbler for the uniform finish, then into another tumbler full of corn cob and rouge for the seal/polish type finish.

its my favorite finish on aluminum, and doesn't make any thickness changes to the material.