Note to self:

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by coppertop, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Skidmarkart

Skidmarkart Dirty Middle Age Man Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is how damn hot it is here today...

So, this literally just happened... I just got a KLX650R I have been working on back from the shop.

OMG, I just got the KLX off the back of the truck.

SO, I am thinking, I should make sure it's fixed up right before head out of town for business for a couple of days.

SO, I kick start it, and it fires up well.

I decide, had the thing in the garage for about a year, might as well take it up the street and back. At least make sure it's fixed right and running well.

SO, I ride up the driveway and onto the street (I should point out my street is super quiet and nothing ever happens there).

Then I pull out, on to our quiet street, not really hauling-ass, but going kind of quick. Everything feels okay. Wonder what this thing can do?

I grab a handful of throttle. Boom, torque and lots of it.

It's fast. Damn fast! I'm not a wheelie dude, but I am pretty sure my front wheel is off the ground.

At this very moment, I notice the Durham PD officer, sitting in an unmarked car on the street. I pass him.

Now, just to be clear, I am on an obviously not-street legal bike, no tags, horn, blinkers etc. and I am hauling ass. (plus, I just drank a beer in the garage, there's no way I would blow, but he could make it a real shitty afternoon for me).

I ride past him, then think... OH. SHIT.

In that moment, I just decided I should turn around and head back to the house. I could probably grab the throttle and haul ass for the trails at the end of the street, but I'm too old for that kind of shit.

I am coming up with excuses... Tell him I was just getting it out for a trip to the mountains or some such thing. Or I had been working on it... this is kind of true right? ...I just decide to take my lumps and whatnot.

Well, I turn around, ride back, slow down to a crawl and wave when I come to his window. I am expecting him to roll his down, and give an earful (and that's if I am lucky). It's so hot, he just waves back, doesn't even put his window down. I go super-slow by him (expecting him to follow me home when he sees the bike isn't legal). Nope, it's 95 degrees and humid as the inside of your gym shorts after a cross country meet. There's no way in hell that guy is getting out out of that AC. Thank you officer!

I ride back to the house and park in back.

Note to self, next time, I will be checking the street before I take that thing out again.
    Snapper33, Barron, flei and 8 others like this.
  2. Tinker1980

Tinker1980 Doesn't ask why, only asks how

Oddometer:
    Had some rocket magician in a tire shop try to put the wheels on my old Metro. The early (1989-1994) Metro had 10mm wheel studs. You can't torque them to 100 ft lbs, but when you TRY, and it snaps off, don't try the next one to see if it happens again.

The correct torque for those was 55 ft-lb.
    Snapper33 and Even Madder Matt like this.
  3. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    Note to self: being behind a truck hauling pea gravel is not fun. That stuff HURTS.
    Snapper33, Tinker1980 and Skidmarkart like this.
  4. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    never heard of a stretched bike? ...I guess it is the same with bolts! :D
  5. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    After being ridding in very cold weather (or snowmobiling, skiing, etc...) and in need of urinating pretty badly make sure
    to take your time to locate the frightened turtle and make sure you have all cold weather pants or
    bibs out of the way and a good clear aim to the target before you pull the trigger. :lol3

[​IMG]
    Barron, double_entendre, flei and 4 others like this.
  6. 12bridn

12bridn I need throttle therapy

Oddometer:
    When you can’t get the pressure washer tip off, make sure the collar is resecured before starting her up and giving it a couple test blasts towards the woods.

I never saw the thing land lol.
  7. 12bridn

12bridn I need throttle therapy

Oddometer:
    Ever seen Funny Farm lol?
    c1skout likes this.
  8. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Note to self: when you've bought and deployed a motorcycle lift so that you no longer have to lay on your back to (for example) perform oil changes, if you change your oil while lying on your back next to your bike...which is on the lift, you might be failing to realize the utility of your motorcycle lift.
  9. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Avoid this though process:
    What do I need a toolbox on this bike for?... I am not going that far anyway and what are the chances something is going to go wrong or get a flat?
    Same can be applied to some extra clothing + changing weather.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  10. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    Shit happens, deal with it.

When you don't shit you have a serious problem.
  11. mantree

mantree Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or just take a sidecar
    11motos likes this.
  12. Scottish Solutions

Scottish Solutions n00b

Oddometer:
    Amazing how quick you smell smoke when you have rags near your welding table !
    11motos and MotoBoss like this.
  13. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Put a sticker note in my wifes car air filter box that says: "Do not sell my wife another air filter or I will come over and beat you up!"
  14. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    Inland from the coast of Santa Cruz and Trona.
    Get a chain tool.
  15. goD giB

goD giB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At least once a year of you commute all weathers you will have to make the choice between seeing where you are going and staying dry.

Note to self: Don't act surprised when it happens again every year for 27 years
  16. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    :cromag
    When you read something on the interwebz that you can't make any sense of, attribute it as a reference to something written by someone you have on 'ignore' and move on.

If there is no 'ignored' content indicated, move on anyway.

:hide
    Tmaximusv likes this.
  17. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC Supporter

Oddometer:
    When you decide to cut the hubs out of a set of wheels in order to use them for another set of wheels, remove the tires from the rims first because sometime down the line you might need those DOT tires for an inspection and taking tires off of hubs that have super sharp cut spokes, no rotor or sprocket to brace a tire spoon up against is not just aggravating but dangerous as well.

IMG_3171.jpg

-Barron
    Snapper33 and 11motos like this.
  18. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Couple days ago I learned two things.
    One, if you have a live trap with a mouse in it and are releasing it into the trash can, hold the trap low in the can. That way the little bastard can't leap out of the trap, onto your arm and the the rim of the can. He made it to the flowers before I could stomp him.
    Two, I can only hold four eggs in one hand for a short time. The dogs were quite pleased.
    Tmaximusv and 11motos like this.
  19. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    Drinking soda with the hiccups will not end well.
    Wentwest, 11motos and bmwannnabee like this.
  20. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Finish reading some of the posts and if you are calm then sip your coffee. Don't drink and keep reading at the same time.
    Night_Wolf and Tmaximusv like this.