1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Note to self:

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by coppertop, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Siorc

Siorc Tiger Shark Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't pressure wash your bike in the winter before loading it into a trailer for a trip to Moab.
    (Not me, but I got to help trouble-shoot the result. The pressure washing thankfully didn't get into anything critical, but ice in the cut-off switch took a while to figure out.)
  2. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    Good point, one which I failed to heed recently. I pulled off the road to take a leak and parked with the bike leaned way over on the kickstand side. When I tried to lift it up when leaving, I was unable to do so. Now I'm an old man and small of stature, and I was stuck there. I eventually flagged down a motorist who kindly helped me lift the bike up so I could get under way.
  3. goD giB

goD giB Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll add to that.
    Note to self: don't park to close to drains.

Not me, but I once watched helplessly from behind the glass at a gas station as a rider pushed his bike away from a pump to let another motorist fill while he went to pay.

No good deed goes unpunished. He was pushing from the right and didn't see the grate as he put the bike on the side stand.
    As soon as he lifted his hand to wave to the other motorist who was frantically waving at him the inevitable happened. His lovely Aprillia RSV4 Factory toppled over dragging him over with it.

Carbon fibre makes a different sound when breaking.

We got it upright for him, but at least half of the stand is probably still in that drain and the left hand side looked terribly second hand add he rode away.
    16VGTIDave likes this.
  4. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    If you have to push up a scooter or bike and it feels too heavy for you, turn your back to it and push with your legs and butt. You're much stronger that way.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  5. goD giB

goD giB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like so:
    Barron and Night_Wolf like this.
  6. Siorc

Siorc Tiger Shark Supporter

Oddometer:
    Never, ever, drink out of a re-used Gatorade bottle.
    And: Always rip the label off the old Gatorade bottle that is now your pee bottle, to distinguish it.

I've managed to never screw this up, but I'm super paranoid about it.
    Jimr80gs and Night_Wolf like this.
  7. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    One of our local surgeons managed to pour pee from an open oil bottle into the airplane engine. I am surprised he noticed the difference.
  8. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Roomie in college was drinking a mountain dew, and bleeding his brakes into... you guessed it, a mountain dew bottle. Don't think he got as far as swallowing luckily.
  9. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why wouldn't he?
  10. goD giB

goD giB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spoiler alert.
    Near the end of this episode of The Murder Squad, Paul Holes talks about processing a scene from a suspected serial killer, and picking up a 7up cup and it popped open and sprayed everywhere.
    He got just enough of it in his mouth to determine it was not 7up, but urine.
  11. travisn000

travisn000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are changing tires and can't find one of your tire irons, check inside the tire.. Not sure how it ended up there, but did notice it missing in the garage.. I found it about 150 miles from home when patching the flat that it caused a few days after.
  12. PunkinHead

PunkinHead Moobless Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're not a surgeon, are you?
    goD giB, 1greenmachine and Night_Wolf like this.
  13. KeithinSC

KeithinSC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had to confess to my Dr. that I was drinking brake fluid regularly.

He was very concerned that I was addicted to it.

I told him;
    "No problem, Doc. I can stop anytime."

:hide

14. Wentwest

Oddometer:
  15. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last year when our daughter was born I thought I'd be really smart and buy a good set of rechargeable batteries for the toys for her. One year later I've used a few and just need to get a bunch of things going with the rest of the batteries, yeah they are all gone.

Also I think the only way of actually getting stuff cleaned up is to burn down the house, our guest bedroom I mean junk storage room is a embarrassment.:baldy
  16. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a fool proof plan for getting rid of clutter. I bought an old UHaul and moved cross country about 7 years ago. Then I did the same 2 years ago. Can't fit 20k lb in a truck that only fits 10k lb.
    Night_Wolf and 1greenmachine like this.
  17. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    And on a slightly different note.

Make your elderly parents move every 3 years.

40 years of stuff does not fit in my mobile home.

7 bedroom house into a guest bed room does not fit.
    Tmaximusv, Night_Wolf and Wentwest like this.
  18. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hopefully it doesnt ever come to that thou my sister and BIL did that and worked well for them.

My problem is a wife that cant get rid of stuff that should easily be thrown out, there's boxes of paperwork that shes going to shred for the last few years but never touches. I need to get back to just throwing stuff here and there to keep out clutter.
    Tmaximusv and Night_Wolf like this.
  19. Wentwest

Oddometer:
    There are places that will do shredding for you for so much a box. I know you're in Green Bay, not San Francisco Bay, but look around. Here, where everything costs way more than it should, I can shred a box of paper for $7, and I can watch it go through. Best $7 you can spend. They don't even hassle you about how big the box is. Drive in, dump on belt grrrrrr, grrrrr, it's done, pay $7, see ya.
  20. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    PAY MONEY for someone else to shred your paper? Just use it to start your BBQ... turn your old bank statements into steak.
    Tmaximusv and Night_Wolf like this.