1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Note to self:

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by coppertop, Oct 30, 2008.

1. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    Yes, a 40ft sea can, or maybe a 53 foot container.
    Arbolmano likes this.
  2. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:

That's OK. Facilitate them to become full time RVers without a storage unit.
    Tmaximusv and davenowherejones like this.
  3. grizzzly

grizzzly The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer:
    If you decide to use old antifreeze containers to transport used motor oil to recycle center, be sure to mark container

Now if you were to grab said antifreeze container now full of used oil and start to top off the radiator. Oil floats on water and can be easily moped up with strips of shop towels
    MotoBoss, Square1 and Night_Wolf like this.
  4. small_e_900

small_e_900 Amanda carried it

Oddometer:

Everybody knows this.

And we all found out the same way. :-)
  5. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I found this out maybe 30 years ago but using antifreeze jugs for recyclable motor oil is not a good idea. The gas station I took my jugs to tested the contents with a sniffer for the antifreeze and wouldn't take any of the jugs that tested with the slightest amount of antifreeze. Things in the process at the recycle plant may have changed but I was told back then that it was difficult to remove antifreeze from the oil and that was why they didn't accept it.

I didn't completely understand this at the time but have since then had the experience of having an engine destroyed because of antifreeze in the motor oil. I didn't know but antifreeze attacks the bronze type metals of bearings found in main and cam shaft bearings, and other places. Seems to be very aggressive and this Ford rattled like a tank after having antifreeze destroy it's bearings.

Washing the jugs may work but I use antifreeze jugs for holding old antifreeze or I throw them away.

Old oil containers are not really rare and I have old metal 5 gallon cans too so I no longer have this problem.
  6. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    Storing urine in an old oil quart bottle is not good for aircraft engines, right Dr P, expensive oil change?

And you call yourself a surgeon? And I let you cut me open?

I had another doctor who cut off the ends of his fingers with a Skilsaw. He had to get help tying my stitches. I had to get an AIDS test after he was done. We became blood brothers.

And why did the eyelid surgeon start cutting before the freezing took effect?

I am having problems with my dick, I am not going to the doctor about it.
  7. PunkinHead

PunkinHead Moobless Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A few weeks ago a doctor at our airport was pulling the prop through on his J3 Cub and it unexpectedly started because the mag switch failed. It caught him on the arm but only enough to hurt but not do real damage. He went ahead and hopped in a flew it then notified his A&P later.

This is the same doctor that let the Cub sit for years then wanted the IA to sign off on an annual inspection. The IA gave him a long list of discrepancies that made it un-airworthy so doc found another IA to pencil whip it. He's an accident waiting to happen.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  8. grizzzly

Oddometer:
    in that case i believe the water in the oil was an effect not the cause
    Jarlaxle likes this.
  9. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I don't understand your comment. It's not water that attacks bearings. It is antifreeze/water.

It's not good to have water in the oil but it depends on amount and time.

An engine low on oil can reach civilization by adding water to the oil without serious effect to bearings. Never heard this before?

Most garages today have a sniffer to check for antifreeze in the oil. In the old days all we could do was look for oil on top of the antifreeze in the radiator.
    Tom S likes this.
  10. grizzzly

Oddometer:
    Your engine was most likely destroying its self which led to coolant entering the engine.

When water mixes with oil it makes the oil look like a milk shake and doesn’t lubricate the engine. And the oil pickup is in the bottom of the oil pan. Whoever told you to add water is just stupid.
    Jarlaxle likes this.
  11. Arbolmano

Arbolmano Not so Studly

Oddometer:
    Speaking of urine. Always dump out your temporary urinal promptly. Forgotten containers
    are a true menace when years later your sig other finds them. Or devious teen children.
    davenowherejones likes this.
  12. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Our big old, real old, military seaplane lost all it's hydraulic fluid that operated the control surfaces while we were flying over the ocean & hundreds of miles away from anything. We put every drop of water we had into the hydraulic fluid reservoir. Of course we kept losing fluid & were about to start peeing into the reservoir. (Like that would help much :lol3 ) Anything to keep from bailing out into the middle of the Pacific’s South China Sea far off the coast of Nam. We did manage to just barely make it to safety.
    The point is that in some kind of dire circumstance & far from help even an oil milkshake could keep even an engine going just long enough to get to safety even though it may not be much good after that.
    trumpet, 16VGTIDave, Wentwest and 2 others like this.
  13. grizzzly

Oddometer:
    funny i just started a thread a while back about water in hydraulic jack
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/just-how-the-hell-was-this-working.1462419/
  14. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    Never use bleach bottles, either.

I use washer fluid jugs, usually.
  15. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why you should always double check the parts you get.
    20201024_160058.jpg
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  16. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Go Ahead

Oddometer:
    You buy a box of used plugs? :jack:jack:imaposer
  17. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ran those in my car for a year, dont know how it got passed me last fall.
    Night_Wolf and MotoBoss like this.
  18. goD giB

goD giB Long timer

Oddometer:
    A prior, potentially relevant note to self... Never buy a motor off a mechanic!