notes to self about rally trip

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by jocflier, Jul 22, 2001.

1. jocflier

jocflier Dammit, that hurt... Supporter

Oddometer:
    1. Never try to find ural rd from Hwy 1 north without a GPS..Time lost 1 hr.

2. Always ride with a friend while out lost trying to find Ural rd.That way he can direct someone to the body.

3. Never leave Eureka at 5:00 am trying to make time over Hwy 299 to Hwy 96..you will get rain and fog.(lots of fog).

4. Hwy 96 is one of the best road ever ridden!!

5. Remember..you will always come across this sign."road construction ahead.new gravel and oil for the next 10 miles" halfway between where you are going..Hwy 66 between I-5 and Hwy 140 in Oregon.

6. Upper Klamath Lake has some of the biggest nasty green bugs to ever hit your face sheild while crusing up Hwy 140 toward Bend.

7. Drivers in Oregon are like sheep..They will follow each other for a hundred miles without making a fucking pass on each other! What is up with that?

8. Don't eat the Buffalo burger at the rally..

9. Do not trust a ride leader on a Trumiph tiger who said "never had a flat yet"..you will spend a hr fixing it and fall behind..note to Triumph owners..Carry a fucking 19mm socket..or you will not be able to remove your rear tire..

10. Do not trust a ride leader who was heard to say"last night rain will not change the road where we are headed..At last count there were 5 guys still out there trying to pick up there GS's out of the mud on that "oh we can make it little hill"..hee hee

11. Never leave Bend when the Bank sign saying 38 degree..Your heated vest and grips will not work worth a shit untill the sun come up..

12. Do all over again tomarrow if asked....

Rick
  2. engineer

engineer lookee lurker Supporter

Oddometer:
    I didn't try the buff burger, but the guy with the Fajita's and breakfast sandwiches ruled!

Can't turn back the clock, but here's my plan for next month:

1. Can't attend the Stanley Stomp due to traffic court :flush

2. Cascade Country Rendzvous August 16-19. I'm there! :D

Beartooth Rendezvous August 23-26. Hopefully I can finagle the kitchen pass.

See ya.
  3. jocflier

Oddometer:
    Dude..

Traffic court?..Can't you do traffic court on line like here in California?
    Rick
  4. engineer

engineer lookee lurker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really?? on-line?? Where do I find it, Wopner-dot-com?

Maybe I should petition for a change of venue. Can't get a fair hearing up here cause all the LEO's treat me with extreme prejudice

:hung
  5. jocflier

Oddometer:
    Engineer..

For real on the traffic school..Down here in the San mateo county of San Francisico there are 13 that i know of..Hell, i took one just last year..Takes about 4 hrs..you can stop and start at any time during the test. cost is about the same as traffic school and they even send in the test score to the court!

Just give them the old visa card and go to town! Post something on the GS washington site and see what comes up. Better yet; call the court house and see what they say..When i went in to pay the fine, the court gave me the list of on line traffic schools..

Good luck

Rick
  6. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    "
    1. Never try to find ural rd from Hwy 1 north without a GPS..Time lost 1 hr.

2. Always ride with a friend while out lost trying to find Ural rd.That way he can direct
    someone to the body. "

Do you mean Usal Road? Did you finally find it? Is it open up to Shelter Cove?

Cpt. Ron
  7. jocflier

Oddometer:
    Ron;

Yes, your right is was Usal rd..(sorry about the misspelling)..Anyway i am not sure if it is open or not..after not coming to Hotel Gulch or Timber Ridge after about and hour or so, i turned back on the road that i was on..

The road went through a camp ground about a mile into it, but there were no ranger around to ask were i was..i would have throught i would have run into some locals or rangers, but no..

The road ran along the cliffs by the sea for awhile..The road start appx. 28 miles north of Ft. Bragg off to the left from hwy 1..ie.Leggett rd..I will be going camping up that way in about two weeks and see if i can do a better job of finding it,and give a full report when i get back..Anyway i ended up picking up Mattole rd out of Garberville heading toward Sheltor cove..Sorry i could not be more help on this matter...Birthday coming up here in Aug..Looks like i will have to drop a hint to the wife for that GPS now...

Rick Lambert
  8. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    I've been on that road before, about 3 years ago. I took it all the way to Shelter Cove, and then continued norht on another dirt road north along the King's Ridge (or similar name) up to Honeydew. That first section, about 5 miles past the campground was partially washed out, leaving only about 3-feet of trail left. Kind of spooky riding across that on the large GS with bags. I have e-mailed the transportation department of that county, and they tell me it's been fixed.

It's a good dual sport road, really easy for the oilhead, provided it hasn't rained in a while. A nice stop is in Shelter Cove, about 1/2 mile west of the summit, before entering town. They have gas and a market, with picnic tables overlooking the road and ocean.

Cpt. Ron
  9. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    This was a pretty good rant, so I figured I'd try to respond to most of it. Hey Baldy, it would be nice if forum responses would let you reply-include like private msgs. This was a hassle...nonetheless...

=1. Never try to find ural rd from Hwy 1 north =without a GPS..Time lost 1 hr.

"time lost"? Wazzat? You on a GS, right? Screw time. Just ride.

=2. Always ride with a friend while out lost =trying to find Ural rd.That way he can direct =someone to the body.

Or...never ride with a friend and do what you want.

=3. Never leave Eureka at 5:00 am trying to make =time over Hwy 299 to Hwy 96..you will get rain
    =and fog.(lots of fog).

never be conscious at 5am, unless it's "still up".
    10am was a really good starting time for me this trip.

=4. Hwy 96 is one of the best road ever ridden!!

it's good, but I dunno about "best". I don't care for the liberal sprinkling of tar snakes (at least the last time I was on it).

=5. Remember..you will always come across this =sign."road construction ahead.new gravel and oil
    =for the next 10 miles" halfway between where you =are going..Hwy 66 between I-5 and Hwy 140 in
    =Oregon.

How about a 1 hour wait on 199 in the sun? At least the all-woman roadcrew was delivering ice-cold bottled water to the travellers.

=6. Upper Klamath Lake has some of the biggest =nasty green bugs to ever hit your face sheild =while crusing up Hwy 140 toward Bend.

How about the big ol grasshoppers running through Merced? And the yellowjackets in the anderson valley (128)? Yikes!

=7. Drivers in Oregon are like sheep..They will =follow each other for a hundred miles without =making a fucking pass on each other! What is up =with that?

Because they get tickets.

=8. Don't eat the Buffalo burger at the rally..

no shit. awful...simply awful. don't get me started about the rally food.

=9. Do not trust a ride leader on a Trumiph tiger =who said "never had a flat yet"..you will spend a =hr fixing it and fall behind..note to Triumph =owners..Carry a fucking 19mm socket..or you will =not be able to remove your rear tire..

Don't ride with incompetent people.

=10. Do not trust a ride leader who was heard to =say"last night rain will not change the road =where we are headed..At last count there were 5 =guys still out there trying to pick up there GS's =out of the mud on that "oh we can make it little =hill"..hee hee

Why aren't YOU the ride leader?

=11. Never leave Bend when the Bank sign saying 38 =degree..Your heated vest and grips will not
    =work worth a shit untill the sun come up..

I never felt it was very cold up there except at 1:30am...you know, sacktime. You gotta stop riding so early.

=12. Do all over again tomarrow if asked....

In a heartbeat. But I'd really like the destination to be in a place that had some damn trees and twisties !!!

Sorry I missed you there. Maybe you were that guy I was cussing out for riding by my tent at 5am one morning. bastid.
  10. jocflier

Oddometer:
    Fish..

Sorry...It wasn't me going by your tent at 5 am..I had free housing at my son house in Bend..My liking of riding early is one of the reason that i enjoy riding..Have always been a early person..That way i can ride..I do need to learn to enjoy the ride more instead of getting somewhere.

I don't think that i said that 96 was the best roads i ridden..just one of the best.It is hard to have a best road in northern California..remember early riding and the tar snake are not awake yet.As far as the GS ride on Friday..It was a whole lot of fun!!! I have to say that you missed out on that one..

The people were good guys..About the Tiger gettinga flat..It was enjoyable working together as a team with everyone pitching in to help..from having the right tools to lifting my Bike up to use as a bead breaker..Just think if he hadn't had the flat..I might still be laying out there in the mud.

I wish i had spend a little more time at the rally;but trying to kill to birds with one stone was just to much trouble. Well..take care and maybe i will see you up on the hill again sometime..Maybe we can get a burger across the street from Alice's this time huh?

Rick
  11. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Chef...first off...check the stock avatars...there's one of chef in there.

Getting up early is cool, but it doesn't work with staying up late drinking heavily. Take yer pick.

If you really like to get up early (which I have to admit, I do sometimes), try this:

1. Make coffee. This applies to all scenarios at all times. Make sure it's good coffee. Drink it all. Then take a big shit.
    [​IMG]

2. Grab fold-up rod and fanny-pack tacklebox. Go catch some trout.

3. Clean trout, cut into fillets, and boil them in the coffee pot. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and dill, then eat them for breakfast.

4. Breakdown camp and load bike. On the road by 10am...tired, fed, and satisfied.

Or take a nymphomaniac and say fuck it, then just stay in the tent knocking boots all day.

fish
  12. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    This software has so many features it's easy to miss most of them. The thing to do is hit the quote button on the lower right of each post. It does the reply-include thing automagically.

Thanks,
    Baldy
  13. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Yes, it does a quote thing, but it's difficult to bust it up and respond to separate points as in chef's email. You ought to have a choice between doing the entire quote thing or reply-include, where the message looks like this:

> blah
    > blah blah
    > blah

fish
  14. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    Yes, it does.
    No, it's not.

You do.:smile6
  15. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    and you can eat sushi with visegrips too...
  16. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I think this is the avatar you should use, jocflier...the four-assed monkey

[​IMG]
  17. jocflier

Oddometer:
    Fish;

I don't think your wife would appreciate me using her wedding photo like that...But thanks anyway..

Rick

P.s. Thanks for the photo of Timmy...
  18. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    have i told you to blow me yet today?

it took me about 43 ns to find that. you ain't workin' too hard these days, are ya timmay?
  19. jocflier

Oddometer:
    Thanks Fish..

Your the best...

Timmaaay
  20. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    oh Timmay...where in the world did you find that broken graphic icon to use for an avatar??