notes to self about rally trip

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by jocflier, Jul 22, 2001.

1. jocflier

jocflier Dammit, that hurt... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fish;

Again i would like to thank you for finding the photo of Timmy for me to use as a avatar.If it wasn't for you, my life would have been incomplete. As you might know being retired i sometimes get lazy and do not spend the time that i should to be a computer master...For this i am truly sorry..

Again Fish i would like to thank you for all your help and understanding in this matter..you are the best..sorry for the crack about your wifes wedding photo..for that, i had crossed the line..wifes and girlfriends should be in the no fly zone..please forgive me..If there is something i should do to make this up to you,please let me know...Again you are the best..

Take care and ride safe

Rick
  2. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    :puke
  3. Jay

Jay Redbear Rides

Oddometer:
    Quote: It's a good dual sport road, really easy for the oilhead, provided it hasn't rained in a while. A nice stop is in Shelter Cove, about 1/2 mile west of the summit, before entering town. They have gas and a market, with picnic tables overlooking the road and ocean.
    Cpt. Ron

Rick and Ron,

I went over Usal Road last Monday. Did you know John Muir and his wife rode it in a buggy in 1911? It was in very good shape. I can see how it would get washed out as there is no gravel in 25 miles. See the Photo Gallery for a pic of the road. A good side trip before/after Usal is down to the Sinkyone Wilderness park. It is 3.5 miles of very twisty dirt. The King's Peak road (north of Shelter Cove hwy) is lightly gravelled up to the first campground. I stayed there last Sunday night. Camped in the clouds with no one around. A guy on an old Kawi cruiser said it was full Friday and Saturday. Pickups kept going north from there so I guess that section is good to the Mattole highway.

Cheers and here is another pic from Usal Road, at the southern junction with Hwy 1, which is just after Hwy 1 turns inland. The Usal Road climbs steeply for two miles and then down steeply to the campground. You go all the way through the campground and then start seriously climbing again. Then it is 20 more miles of just you and the road. Given all the coastal fog, I never did see the ocean.
    Jay
  4. Jay

Jay Redbear Rides

Oddometer:
    Here is another pic of the top end of the Sinkyone Road, with signs showing that it is a proper GS road.