Nothing like riding directly off a cliff to get the adrenaline flowing!

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by McCarthy7, Jun 23, 2019.

1. McCarthy7

McCarthy7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So bit of a shitty day... We've had a bunch of storms come through and it was sloppy nasty clay mud on the trails today... Went down a nasty gully and had trouble getting back up the other side without speed, took it at speed, popped the front tire over a ledge wrong, completely my fault, and managed to launch myself- right off a f****** cliff. Fell about 10 feet straight down onto rock, then slid another 20 feet over ledges and rock down a near vertical rock face...

Just to top of all off, the bike slammed into my leg before I could get up out of its way. Bike took the hit surprisingly well, other than some (a lot) of plastic damage, bent foot peg and shifter, and a bent rad, bent handlebars, no physical damage. Well, except the clutch now feels really bad. There's a bizarre super hard point in the lever pull at the friction point, but seems to work. I'm too banged up to try to figure out what's wrong- any guesses? (2017 KTM 250 EXCF- hyrdo clutch)

I took way more of a beating than the bike though, and was wearing proper riding boots, armoured pants, and proper D3 armoured top, without it, honestly, it would of been a trip in an ambulance without question. With it, i cracked the side of my helmet where it hit the rock face, smashed the shoulder armour, tore the armoured pants all to hell, and wrecked the left boot- shattered. Without all the gear though, i would of split my head open (lethally, likely), broke my shoulder, and guaranteed to have degloved my entire left hip area... As it is, I can't really walk very well, my shoulder is sore, back is killing me, and my leg is seriously fucked. Took me about a half hour of sitting against a rock to get the wind back in me, and shit to stop hurting so bad i wanted to puke, and get the bike up.

The fun part was riding the 5km of single track back to the road, and 20km home... I think of myself as a fairly tough guy, high pain tolerance. I won't lie, I had tears in my eyes on the ride back... Felt like puking every time I went over a rough part and my leg or back spasmed.

Moral of the story boys, wear your gear. Every time. It probably just saved my life...
    Mister_Dog, thanosgp, cal08 and 6 others like this.
  2. craigincali

craigincali I'll try it.

Oddometer:
    Rookie move
    Themastermike likes this.
  3. RVDan

RVDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    So have you had the hospital check you out yet?
    Amphib likes this.
  4. md9nyc

md9nyc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I constantly read this thread to learn how certain situations/dangers may be avoidable. If not avoidable, at least how to better prepare. It’s comments like Craigincal’s that will deter people from posting these stories and having others learn from them.

I hope the op is feeling better - thanks for sharing
    NoiZboy, andybj, BywayMan and 4 others like this.
  5. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    I'm with @RVDan I hope you get yourself checked out. Lingering undiagnosed stuff can end up haunting you a long time, if not your whole life.

Glad you're not hurt worse man. I always appreciate guys that have gone down posting their experiences. I hope you heal up fast.
    ozmoses likes this.
  6. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I guess in the Go Big or Go Home realm, OP did both!

Heal up, man.
    greasyfatman likes this.
  7. darmst6829

darmst6829 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you felt like you were going to puke you broke a bone somewhere.
    brgsprint likes this.
  8. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Naa... A dislocation will too.
    darmst6829 likes this.
  9. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic

Oddometer:
    Need a video for proof.
    ChicoProf likes this.
  10. McCarthy7

McCarthy7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just ignore idiots like like @craigincali when the best riders in the world crash and hurt themselves (Graham Jarvis etc) do people call it a rookie move? No, it's a mistake. Lol

I did go get a check up, I was overdue for a physical anyway... DTI (deep tissue injury) in the lower thigh, as well as a thin thickness (not a full tear) in the quad. Worse than a grade 1, but not a grade 2 is what was described to me when I asked in layman's terms. Bruised a few ribs, and suspect concussion. All in all, perfectly fine! Bike is repaired and will be riding again later this week. Already rode my other (street) bike to work today. All good, and thanks for the kind words everyone.
    OneAUout, shuswap1, thanosgp and 9 others like this.
  11. craigincali

craigincali I'll try it.

Oddometer:
    No, it's a rookie move and you will learn from it.
    Themastermike likes this.
  12. BywayMan

BywayMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Entering the gully after bad storms or not previewing the backside of its ledge was the "rookie move". I'd call it "not thought out" move though.
  13. The Dude

The Dude Just Love To Ride

Oddometer:
    Rookie Comment
  14. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chuckle, does teach one to never trust a rise you can't see the other side of!

I did a similar many years ago. Riding (well, driving actually) around an area that I'd been in before. Came over the rise, only to find they'd cut the road away. Going to fast to stop, so I landed nose first about 6 feet down onto the bottom of the newly cut flattened area.

I've never been keen on flying over a crest and trusting the road is still there since.
  15. 10K

10K Trail Runner

Oddometer:
    Concussion?
    Northern_Rider777 likes this.
  16. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never made me feel like puking but I've only had 3 bad concussions. Dislocated my right shoulder to many times to count and that makes me sick. So does a hit in the nuts.
    10K likes this.
  17. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I almost lost a coworker many years ago, his bike took a dirt nap on him. He delayed getting checked out, had someone not came around to see how he was doing, carry him to the car and seriously speed to the hospital he would have been dead. His spleen was torn. Had lost a lot of blood, so the surgery to remove his spleen was more risky and recovery took a few days.

He felt fine when he laid down.

Rod
  18. Arbolmano

Arbolmano Not so Studly

Oddometer:
    Sometimes it’s just your turn at the wheel. Price we all pay for enjoyment. Proof that gear helps though. Glad to hear your back at it. Lesson here is don’t stop riding.
  19. NoiZboy

NoiZboy Dirt to Track and Back Again

Oddometer:
    ChicoProf likes this.
  20. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    lfmn likes this.