Nova Scotia input

Discussion in 'Canada' started by pgods, Jun 1, 2016.

1. CDMAN

CDMAN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On our way from Guelph Ontario to Nova Scotia starting tomorrow morning. Plan to stop in New England for a night or two. Scheduled for the Digby ferry from Saint John on Sunday morning. Hope the storm has passed by then and the crossing is not to rough. Plan to ride along the Annapolis Valley then over to Lunenburg and south along the shore. Scheduled for the Digby ferry next Friday back to Saint John then back through the states.
    Should be a great trip.
    Maggot12 and GF-kam like this.
  2. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am still trying to get up to Nova Scotia from Virginia ( Washington, DC ) in next few weeks. Screwed up my lower back and haven't been to work on the bike much.

I hope you can post some updates with details of trip, weather, getting bike on/off ferry, great scenic stops / places, etc. i am hoping to navigate the entire scenic round around NS. Lots of miles. Looks like you need at least 7-8 days.

Safe journey and leave me some lobster ;-)
  3. fredgreen

fredgreen let's take it apart....

Oddometer:
    You might want to try plan B, I would think the Sunday ferry will be cancelled. Better off for you to drive around then take the ferry back.
  4. woodgrain

woodgrain In-Dented Savant

Oddometer:
    The storm looks worse than the year we were at Annapolis Royal...wasn't that fun?
  5. fredgreen

Oddometer:
    V
    Flattened tents and lots of wind and rain!
  6. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope you guys local and visiting Nova Scotia post Dorian hurricane can post updates. I am hoping nothing major other than some heavy rain and wind.

Thanks.
  7. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just woke up in North Carolina on Sunday, Sept. 8, 2019. I just checked the news online. Looks like hurricane Dorian made landfall just south of Halifax. According to couple news articles crane fell down on apartment building in Halifax, 300K customers without power in Halifax, trees down,

https://weather.com/safety/hurrican...ane-dorian-halifax-nova-scotia-canada-impacts

Local reporting. The videos by news reporter shows some damage to coastal roads. Apparently lots of the older trees in Halifax went down on the power lines. So restoration could take some time.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5870123/hurricane-dorian-nova-scotia/

Hope you inmates on Nova Scotia are OK. Post us some first update on latest. I am trying to get sense if the aftermath is just some temporary power outage or some major issues with bridges, coastal roads, Cabot Trail, etc. Mother nature may postpone my trip till 2020.
  8. fredgreen

Oddometer:
    Power is still out in N.S., been out about 30 hours now. Lots of trees down where I am, but Halifax(100 miles from me) took a harder hit. 80% of the province is without power at the moment. Roads didn’t fare too badly other than trees and branches falling. Sun is out today, cool temps though.
  9. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh wow! 80% of customer out of power. Not good. By, one report 450K out of 500K total customers on entire N.S. had lost power.

Not looking good for a trip up next week. Keep me posted if you have cell / internet. I'd love to bring some business up for 8-9 days. I am sure your lodging / hospitality industry could use it.
  10. AngusMcL

AngusMcL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Down to 200k customers without power now. Cleanup and restoration will take a couple days. Should be business as usual by the weekend.

We were without power for about 24hrs.

A.
    GF-kam likes this.
  11. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Major progress in just a day. I keep Googling photos and Tweets of post Dorian damage on Nova Scotia. Some of the photos of boats pushed up on docks looks pretty serious. Also surprised of number of photos with roofs torn off.

Thanks for update. Encouraging.
  12. AngusMcL

AngusMcL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not many roofs around here designed with Cat 2 hurricanes in mind!

A.
  13. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    I made a direct inquiry to Nova Scotia Tourism Center. As AngusMcl notes, by end of week everything should be " business as usual."

This is what rep from Tourism N.S. said:

" Good Morning,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

I am excited to hear that you will be visiting our beautiful province. We have weathered the hurricane reasonably well. Many trees have fallen and, we are in the process of restoring power to many residents around the region. There were no significant injuries, and everyone is now in the process of cleaning up the fallen leaves and trees from their properties. The Cabot Trail and the Cape Breton National parks are open today, and they will ready for your visit. We expect power to be restored around the province and cleanup to be complete by the end of the week.

We look forward to your visit.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact us again.

TERRI

Travel Counsellor

Tourism Nova Scotia Contact Centre

Contact me via email or call us at 1-800-565-0000, Daily (9 am – 6 pm AST).

Visit NovaScotia.com to explore all we have to offer and start planning your trip.

and to stay up-to-date on exciting seasonal events.

Share your favourite Nova Scotia photos on Instagram with #VISITNOVASCOTIA "
    AngusMcL likes this.
  14. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    No power still, and totally off grid until 5 minutes ago after getting cell reception.

Most of Halifax area is still blacked out. But getting better by the hour.

No damage taken, but a little debris around the yard.
    GF-kam and AngusMcL like this.
  15. fredgreen

Oddometer:
    My power is still out, but roads are clear and progress is being made. I wouldn’t hesitate to make the trip if I were in your shoes.
  16. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Got power at 6 PM. Spent the last couple hrs cleaning out 2 fridges and a freezer, and cooking food that hasn't yet thawed. The Coleman stove and house range got a workout.

1/2 garbage bag of food didn't make it though. Obviously not a big deal in the large scheme of things, but I hate throwing away food.

Kids were involved. So some memories and lessons for them.

My lesson is to own a generator. Think I'll hunt down a 2k watt Honda or Yami.
    AngusMcL likes this.
  17. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Yeah for a motorcycle trek you're fine. Weather is good.

Campgrounds are probably sparse as folks hunkered down at home.
  18. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got our power back yesterday afternoon. 4.5 days without, fared relatively well. Stuff in the fridge was gone, but managed to save the freezers using the generator. Kept the camper batteries charged and at least had lights and water out there. Technically, the power was on yesterday morning, but the guys finished the job and another tree fell, causing them to start over again. Had that been me, I probably would have said "Fuck this. I'm out!"
    Millwright98 and GF-kam like this.
  19. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow 4.5 days ! In this day and age hard to do anything without electricity. Even my septic system pumps need electricity.

I have been Googling news articles of post hurricane on Nova Scotia. Looks like a few coves experienced damage to boathouses, sheds, and docs from tidal surge.

Between weather and aftermath of Dorian, I am looking at postponing my trip till summer 2020.
  20. fredgreen

Oddometer:
    I’m still without power. Going on 6 days now.