Nova Scotia input

Discussion in 'Canada' started by pgods, Jun 1, 2016.

1. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which part of Nova Scotia are you from? Have you been out to see the extent of damage? Are we talking minor tree and power line damage or major erosion to coastline and roads?

I hope the weather is comfortable without having to need power for things like hot water, heat, cooling, dishwasher, etc.
  2. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Weather is fine. Don't need heat, windows open. City water for me. Most would need something to boil water and cook. We use a large pot and it became the sink after each meal.

A few candles and we sat around the kitchen island playing board games and cards. I have a usb rechargeable mini fm radio I bought for motorcycle camping a couple yrs ago. Worked great for this outage. Plugged it into the truck dash outlet overnight.

Overall wasn't too bad for a few days. Just an inconvenience.

If house were on well and septic it would be a different level of madness. If having to hunt down water and filling bathtubs to flush toilets.
  3. fredgreen

fredgreen let's take it apart....

Oddometer:
    Roads are fine for the most part. Trees tore out power lines, this takes time to repair. I am in the western Annapolis valley, Bridgetown area. Coastline took a hit from the storm, but nothing to change the roads.
    GF-kam likes this.
  4. CDMAN

CDMAN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got back to Ontario yesterday from 5 days in Nova Scotia. On Sunday there was concern of getting gas as power outages had stations closed and other stations with line-ups and then running out. We rode in the Annapolis Valley and then a few days in the Chester and Bridgewater areas with no impact of the storm. Great weather to ride and the riding was fantastic along the coast line. A few areas with road damage and debris over the road but the work crews had done great job of cleaning up and placed good signage.
    B10Dave, Maggot12 and GF-kam like this.
  5. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Weekend of January 17th, 2020 Snow Bomb & Hurricane.

Just checking with inmates on Canadian Maritimes. Especially Nova Scotia, St. John, and Newfoundland. I hope you guys are OK. I've seen and heard about the snow storm on national news in USA. First Hurricane Dorian in September and now this monster storm event. How are things on Nova Scotia compared to Newfoundland ??
  6. fredgreen

fredgreen let's take it apart....

Oddometer:
    Nova Scotia did ok in the west and south, Cape Breton got a bit of a hit, nothing like Newfoundland though, they took a pounding. My place in the Annapolis Valley only got a few inches of snow, then rain.
    GF-kam likes this.
  7. barko1

barko1 barko1 Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    NS is not the same. I had 4 inches. Dad in Nfld has a 4 car wide 100ft long driveway. The snow is 7ft high. Had a snowblower going 2 days, and still had to call in a tractor to get him out.

dmottv and GF-kam like this.
  9. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    GF-kam likes this.
  10. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    The photographers will have a field day capturing amazingly shots coming out of the snow event no doubt. Thanks.

I am beginning to sense all the storms that come across the U.S. and up the Mid Atlantic eventually go over the Maritimes. Guess I need to look at weather pattern more closely before my trip up from Virginia next summer / early fall. Statistically I see most of the big storms ( Hurricanes ) in past have been in September - November timeframe. Same time they develop off the west coast of Africa and up through the Caribbean.

Thanks.
  11. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, Sept-Oct for sure, and they typically come up from the southern US. Having said that, it's usually a mild tropical storm, or even just a rain/wind storm by the time it arrives here.
    If up here touring, you just need a dry place to hang out for a couple days. No real need to totally avoid the area.

dmottv and GF-kam like this.
  12. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    You Canadians are hardy people. Hopefully some warm weather behind this cold front.
    gpfan and Maggot12 like this.
  13. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    It's only January, it'll get colder before it gets warmer. The lakes are hardly frozen over yet... :lol3

dmottv likes this.