Nova Scotia on a Shoestring

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by bgoodsoil, May 13, 2010.

1. bgoodsoil

bgoodsoil Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer:
    I only had 3 weeks so I couldn't go back to Guatemala or Alaska. I've never ridden to the northeast so I figured I'd head up there.

Here's the bike:

[​IMG]

A buddy wanted to ride along. I had my reservations but I said yes. We had to do some work to get the sportster ready.

a 12v outlet for the iPod:

[​IMG]

The crankcase breather was puking oil in the airbox so we rigged a catch.

[​IMG]

Here it is all packed up. Looks like a bag lady's shopping cart

[​IMG]

I like to take an odo shot so I can keep track of the total trip.

[​IMG]

We made it all of 300 miles before the sportster started having shifter problems. Turns out my buddy put the wrong bolt on for the forward controls and it was able to move over and slip. We went to a HD dealership to see if we could get some hardware from them

[​IMG]

By the time somebody came around I had already fixed it out of my own tool kit. I keep a jar of 6m and 8m bolts. I may drag a buncha junk around with me but sometimes that stuff saves the day.

A nylox nut, a lockwasher AND loctite. If it falls off I'll break out the welder

[​IMG]

We hit some rain and since 'only pussies wear full face helmets' I had to go 50mph on the freeway since Nate wouldn't wear the helmet that I gave him.

I pulled into a field near Bowling Green, KY. We ended up riding down a paved bicycle path and passed a few cyclists. I'm glad they didn't call the cops! We camped 50' off the trail with people jogging by. Stealth camping indeed! We stashed the bikes behind some bushes so nobody'd see 'em. Nate was scared to start a fire but what's an adventure without a little risk? Besides, I had special plans for that fire....

[​IMG]

Ah my annual book burning. I've been burning and shooting textbooks ever since Calculus.

I opened my laptop to try to work on my Economics thesis and I actually picked up several wireless signals. BGFire, BGCity-Staff, BGPolice.....uh....ya think maybe BG stands for Bowling Green? We were camped close enough to the Police Department to pick up 3 bars of service on their WiFi :eek1

We headed north the next day. We were 15 minutes from Mammoth Cave and Nate pulled up next to me and made a drinky-drinky motion. I nodded and he dropped back. We finally got to an exit but there was a big sign that said "NO DIRECT RETURN ACCESS TO I-65 N" so I passed it. I guess he didn't see the sign and got pissed that I wouldn't stop so he jumped off the highway behind me and I couldn't follow him. I continued on up to Mammoth Cave and waited 40 minutes. I figured it'd take him a while so I went ahead and took a tour. After all, he's the one that jumped off the interstate. I parked my bike at the entrance to the visitors center and expected to see him when I got back.

The cave was impressive.

[​IMG]

I got back out and didn't see him. I had waited 3 hours and he still hadn't shown up. I had no cell phone service and riding around Kentucky trying to find him wasn't going to work. After 3 hours I figured he got mad and went home. Heck, we were only 300 miles from home. I continued north without him. Maybe I'd see him on the highway or get cell service at the next city. He ended up going home.

My rain suit completely leaked through so I picked up one of the Frogg Toggs motorcycle suits. It's completely different from the old cloth ones. It worked really well. Here's a pic of me in my new Frogg Suit:

[​IMG]

I saw a bunch of these crossing the country:

[​IMG]

I saw some amazing farmhouses crossing Ohio

[​IMG]

I usually try to stop before dark. It's easier to find campsites. About 30 minutes before I stopped I started dinner:

[​IMG]

Bailing wired to the exhaust pipe:

[​IMG]

30 minutes later and they're cooked to perfection. I grabbed some Ketchup and Mustard packets from Chik-fil-A before I left.

[​IMG]

I camped in a field. I wasn't even in the woods--I couldn't get my bike through it was so thick. The field was in a depression so nobody could see me from the road. It had a big watertower near it.

[​IMG]

This stream was in the woods. I slung up a hammock and read for a while. It was nice.

[​IMG]

On the road the next day I saw a sign that said 'weaponry of all kinds!' I had to check it out. The place didn't disappoint.

[​IMG]

I toyed with the idea of riding home with a battleaxe but I had to cross a border. It might be hard to hide :D

I crossed Pennsylvania and got into New York that day. Whoever named this place the Great North Woods hit the nail on the head. It was like crossing Texas but being in a forest the whole way. I've never had such an easy time finding a campsite.

[​IMG]

Ya ever heard the saying 'take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints?' Does this count?

[​IMG]
    Blue Mule likes this.
  2. Lee C

Lee C Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap Make sure you ride the Cabot Trail Ride Safe Enjoy
  3. wintonio

wintonio last of the Dum Dum Daze

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to the rest of the story :lurk
  4. AKjeff

AKjeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh boy, more Brad travels. Or should that be travails? :D

:lurk

I love the header hotdogs, I'll have to give that a try.
  5. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    I thought the harley dealer looked familiar, have fun. Wow, it didn't take you long to ditch him. Wonder what his story is.
  6. Gimmeslack

Gimmeslack furthur

Oddometer:
    I'm in! :clap

7. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you're better off without him..

Good story so far.
    Loutre likes this.
  8. Beater

Beater The Bavarian Butcher

Oddometer:
    Awesome. Keep em' coming Brad!
  9. Big Rolly

Big Rolly n00b

Oddometer:
    Slow down . It's not camping weather up here yet . Goes down to freezing at night. Good Luck.
  10. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl ignore list Supporter

Oddometer:
    please tell me those aren't the hot dogs we bought for "munchies" at the Old skool campout? Man, you need to branch out more!!! Looking good, keep it coming!!
  11. krazygloo

krazygloo pinch me

Oddometer:
    I'm not going to quote all your photos, but this was the first that caught my eye.... :lurk
  12. Sahuite

Sahuite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got out east planned for later in the summer, so I'm watching with interest.

:lurk :lurk
  13. SteverinoB

SteverinoB EstebanarinoB

Oddometer:
    Looking good...and sounds like this might be an interesting scoot.

Plan on doing all your cooking using various bits of your bike's exhaust system?

Definitley subscribed...Steve
  14. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  15. no

no dreaming adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  16. Jedediah

Jedediah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    This is a very comforting picture.

Jed.
  17. igormortis

igormortis Cafe Reise

Oddometer:
    Cooking on the headers! I love it! :clap
  18. AnthonyD

AnthonyD Nothing to see here...

Oddometer:
    Done this in the truck, but never on the bike... definitely keeping this one in the back of my mind for future road trips.
  19. fat pat

fat pat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    was that guy your buddy, or your "buddy?" note the quatation marks.

looking forward to the remainder of the report. i'm glad some of us are riding.

suerte,
    pat
  20. SauS TaR-TaR

SauS TaR-TaR Go BaBy Go...

Oddometer:
    :1drink
    ABDriver likes this.