Nova Scotia on a Shoestring

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by bgoodsoil, May 13, 2010.

1. Firenailer

Firenailer Still Ridin'

Oddometer:
    Way to go Brad! Your starting to remind me of that Magiver dude that used to be on TV! These reads make my morning, I'm just loving this report and I'm glad it's starting to look like you've got the bike straightened out. Have fun kid! :clap
  2. bgoodsoil

bgoodsoil Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer:
    David had been complaining about how all the shrubs were overgrown and it made it hard to cut the grass. I got up early the next morning and went to the coop to get the biggest set of hedge trimmers I could find. I spent the whole day trimming bushes. I filled up a 6 foot trailer level full with limbs. Heck, it's the least I could do for him letting me stay there. He kept saying he'd pay me for the loppers. He lets me have a whole house for 3 days and he still thinks he needs to pay me for some trimmers. What a guy.

David's in the Canadian Coast Guard but he's got one of those cushy shore jobs and gets to come home every day. Him and Rory take a walk around every night so I got to tag along.

[​IMG]

We went down to the river. His house is right past that bridge.

[​IMG]

A friend of his raises trout in their yard. We went by the farm to check out the fish.

They had been feeding humming birds for years and this time of the year there's a dozen of them whizzing around the house.

[​IMG]

This is their front yard.

[​IMG]

Not too shabby, eh?

They've got poles and we could've gone fishing but it was almost dark. The pond is absolutely packed with trout. You can yank the things out and throw back all day. This is one of the ponds in the back yard.

[​IMG]

David took a handful of food and chucked in the pond. 2 seconds later it looked like that water was boiling.

[​IMG]

Rory just new there was something to chase in there if he could just figure out a way to get to it.

[​IMG]

Here's the crappy part. The day before he took me out to a friend's house that made homemade furniture. The guy walked out in the woods and found interesting looking trees then turned them into rocking chairs, kitchen tables, whatever. The stuff was beautiful. Most of the tools he used were his Dad's. He hada 7' tall band saw from the '50s that was still doing it's job. I didn't take my camera :baldy
  3. KSGregman

KSGregman Flying Close to the Sun

Oddometer:
    It's ride reports like this that keep me coming back to this site...stories like this one are absolutely AMAZING to me. The scenery is nice....seeing new places and all of that....all very impressive. But honestly, it's the interactions with the people that you meet along the way that mosts interests and inspires me...that people still can and do take care of each other. Your ability to stay positive...find solutions...and keep going...is inspiring too.

Thanks for taking the time to share the ride with the rest of us.

KSG
  4. bgoodsoil

Oddometer:
    School's quickly approaching so I had to get on the road. David said I could stay as long as I wanted but I had to leave. He stopped by before work and I thanked him for everything. I cleaned up the house and hit the road. Of course, it was raining :becca

It was raining cats and dogs and the wind was gusting so much I could barely maintain a lane. Is God destroying the Earth by water again and nobody told me?

It's been raining on me for 2 weeks. I thought this was a road trip but I was wrong. This is war! I figured I could get whiny or I could get pissed. I got pissed.

My throttle's messed up. I've got the wrong tube and it bottoms out. The bike won't go over 65 on flat ground. I cranked up the cable adjustment as far as it would go. The bike was idling at almost 4,000 rpm but it allowed me to get the bike up to 80. Chaaaaarge!

I put some Audioslave on the iPod, gassed up and hit the highway.

<object height="385" width="480">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZcFgAAv5Omk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>

It was pouring buckets. I was doing 80 screaming like a madman into my helmet. The bike would start to slow down on the uphills. I'd downshift to 4th and yell at the bike 'Go dammit! GO!" I'd shift into 5th as I crested the rise and run it into the 80s on momentum.

When the rain failed to stop me the wind gave it a try. It was gusting so hard I had trouble keeping the bike on the road. I found a trailer going 70 and used it like a bunker. When there was a headwind I'd stay behind it and watch the tree tops. If they started pointing to my side I'd pull up along the truck and hide out there. I hid from the wind like that for almost an hour.

Since the wind couldn't kill me alone they decided to tag team me. The rain started coming down sideways. I ducked low behind the windshield and turned up the volume.

I fought through that for hours until I finally got to the end of the cloud and found the sun. I did 700 miles, crossed the border into the US, and camped just before dark south of Bangor, Maine.

Brad 1
    Weather 0
    davide and pfalcioni like this.
  5. Oilybimmer

Oilybimmer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great RR, keep it up :D

Stewart
  6. AKjeff

AKjeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap

There's times I like riding in weather like that, I think I like the challenge.
  7. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl ignore list Supporter

Oddometer:
    ass, Brad. Glad you persevered. Not surprised one bit that you did, good on you man!!
  8. ducnek

ducnek Trying not to feel it too hard

Oddometer:
    Give it hell Brad.

Great report.

Airheads rule...or well at least they are somewhat easy to fix:lol3
  9. timk519

timk519 Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. KingJeff

KingJeff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Brad, you are my kind of dirt-bag!
  11. RobbieO

RobbieO Muskokatard

Oddometer:
    Hell, ride through Ontario on your way home.
    We haven't seen rain in weeks and are in the middle of a heat wave.
    If you ride north of Toronto, let me know. You can crash at my house, and I have a shop you can use for your daily repairs!!:lol3

You sure you're not a KLR owner???:D
  12. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs Supporter

Oddometer:
    When the weather is shitty there's nothing else to do but ride.
  13. Dieselboy

Dieselboy Journey not Destination

Oddometer:
    Great RR! Keep rockin'! :super
  14. UpST8

UpST8 turnin gas to noise

Oddometer:
    Love this report!! Brad you are an inspiration :super
  15. Zeekster

Zeekster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wonderful RR,Brad...

Can't wait fer it to get the next part goin...
  16. Cogswell

Cogswell Road Captain, Hell I'm a Road General.

Oddometer:
    Good stuff Brad.
    Glad your luck changed a bit with the house. Here's to drier riding on your last leg.:thumb

Mike
  17. RAGBrian

RAGBrian jonesing for a ride

Oddometer:
    Subscribed. Thinking about trying this on my CX. There is a H-box that connects the two headers to the two mufflers. Gonna see what I can stuff between it and the oil pan. Need to figure out how to heat up the chili that I like with my dogs! :dg
  18. bgoodsoil

Oddometer:
    I rode from Maine down to Massachusetts and stayed at JRPs place. I spent the night in the garage with the old Honda. Man, everybody's got an old 350!

[​IMG]

The headlight pod on JRP's G/S came off my bike. You may have noticed that I don't much care for keeping things stock :D I'm glad the headlight found a better home.

[​IMG]

There were dozens of chipmunks running all over the place. They had been feeding 'em for years so they just kept coming back. John called it chipmunk welfare.

[​IMG]

I left John's place the next day dry and clean with a Camelbak full of H20. Thanks!

I was less than an hour away from John's house when my throttle stripped out. The BMW throttle has this weird gear assembly. The throttle tube meshes to another gear that pulls the cable. Mine weren't a matched set so they had been getting chewed up. It left me on the side of the highway.

The throttle tube has an overtravel stop so the back teeth were still brand new. I figured I'd just snap off that overtravel thing and that'd let me use the good teeth in the back.

[​IMG]

Then I hit another problem. When you twist the throttle the gears want to push themselves apart. That little tab, that I just snapped off, kept them from separating. Crap. I didn't think of that. Now the throttle doesn't work at all. :baldy

I tried to think of a good way to keep them from separating when I saw the handguards I mounted. If I slide the whole throttle assembly over until the tube bottoms out on the handguard it oughta stay put right? I did that and it worked! It's rigged but hey it's only gotta last for....oh...a thousand miles or so :D

I headed south and hit traffic in NYC. I can't handle traffic so I jumped off the interstate and got stuck in even worse traffic in the bronx.

[​IMG]

My 'shortcut' cost me an hour of being lost in New York. At one point I took a bridge over to Queens and did a u-turn, weaving through cones, right in front of the toll booth. Finally free of NYC with a working throttle I started cruising south.

I've done 5 road trips to DC from Georgia. I love the Smithsonian. I always stay at the same campsite--a little hole in the woods about 25 miles south of the city. I got there right around dark. Perfect timing! So I stayed at my old familiar campsite.

I knew from all my DC trips that it was 550 miles from that campsite to Athens, GA. I hit the road at 7 and made it home. It took me 3 days to get from the tip of Nova Scotia back to Athens, GA.
  19. motorcyclefanatic

motorcyclefanatic The name says it all

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you made it back safe and sound, although I'm a little sad the trip is over, I'd been looking forward to the updates.

School should seem easy after all the McGyver tricks on that trip.
  20. sdpc2

sdpc2 Just another Rally Rat

Oddometer:
    "shortcut" thru NYC. Trust me, there are easier ways....... :norton